Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

California modified exhaust anf excessive noise laws

I'm sure by now that everyone has heard or have read about the "New" California Exhaust Law(s) that took effect on January 1, 2019. There are three Vehicle Code statutes that applies to vehicles with excessive noise and/or modified exhaust on vehicles that are registered in California. To be clear on what is real deal here, the statutes (27150, 27150.2, and 27151 CVC) on excessive noise and modified exhaust are not new. These statutes have not been amended since 2003. What has changed is what enforcement document is going to be issued by a law enforcement officer. As of this year, the enforcement document no longer can be a "Fix-It Ticket" where you can have any law enforcement Officer sign it off and you mail it back into the issuing agency. Now, you will be issued a "Notice To Appear" (regular ol' citation) that you must correct and have the correction certified by a license smog station and be issued a certificate of compliance, and no doubt, there will be a fine for that citation when you go to court. How much, I don't know, that will depend on the court where the Notice To Appear is cited to.

Now, you know if a smog station is going to issue a certificate of compliance, they no doubt will probably check not only the noise, they more than likely will at least do a visual inspection of the entire exhaust and emission systems for compliance of all components. I wonder what are they going to do with cars that have engine swaps. In the past, they always required the systems that either was how the car came equipped from the factory or what the engine came equipped with from the factory if the engine year is later than the car's model year.

That might mean any engine emission systems that consisted of a, Electronics (ECM), Cat, Vapor, and/or Air Pump, will have to be equipped with that engine regardless if the car, regardless the car's model year, is exempt from a biennial smog inspection. So, will the LS swaps in older cars without all the original emissions systems for that engine cause a problem in getting a certificate of compliance. Hmmm, I bet it will.

Thoughts and Opinions are welcome.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com