Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 7 of 7
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2
      Country Flag: United States

      67 Camaro - Project Redemption

      I started off this adventure 15 years ago at the age of 15. It was Super Bowl Sunday when we picked the
      Camaro up and all I cared about was digging into this beauty (in my eyes) of a car and doing whatever I could to get it back in a running and respectable shape. Little did I know what troubles would lie ahead.

      Name:  1967_Rear_No_Fenders_Tailpan.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  191.2 KBName:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  218.0 KBName:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  153.7 KB
      Fast forward to a few years later (2000) with new Left and Right rear quarters, a new Trunk pan, all new front end (fenders, hood, valance, etc), rebuilt motor brand new stock interior…pretty much everything but the floor pan and roof was new to the car. And did I mention that my dad and I took on all of this work ourselves? With no previous auto body/fabrication experience we dove in head first and never looked back. It was a great learning experience for the both of us! One of the major regrets in the whole project was that I did not take nearly enough pictures to document the process. Really all I have from the first build out is a handful of pictures…Ah, but this round will be much different! I’ll make sure to keep updating this post with what is going on with the project and include lots of pictures!

      Back to the story…
      I was rushing to have the car painted so I called up a buddy of mine and we shot the paint in my parent’s garage and back yard…Just in time to make it up to Hot August Nights. I am sure you can imagine the quality of work that came out of that rush job but at the time I didn’t care. I drove her for about a year and then life started catching up with me. I started college, moved in with my girlfriend (now my wife) and was looking for something a bit more reliable that had a warranty. So I decided to sell her but not to just anyone…My mom had taken a liking to the car so I was fortunate enough to sell it to her. From there the car sat on the side of their house for around 8 years.

      This takes us up to about 15 months ago. I had wanted to buy her back ever since the day I let her go however the cards were just not in my favor. Now married, with two kids and working at a good job I made the leap to save up some coin and buy her back from my parents. Luckily, when you are buying a car from your parents they don’t apply the current market rate to things so I actually picked it up for what I sold it to them for…A steal in today’s market.
      W
      Well, the 8 years of sitting on the side of my parents’ house really took a toll on the mediocre body work and garage shot paint. It now sits with a big rust hole in the roof, which has almost gone through to the inside of the car and worn down paint from having a plastic tarp over it for 8 years. I was just happy to have her back until a few months ago when I started reading the Pro-Touring forums again. Man was I hooked after revisiting some of my favorite build thread (Project Widow Maker, etc).

      Name:  Camaro Pictures 074.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  232.5 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 073.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  178.4 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 075.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  148.6 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 092.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  182.5 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 283.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  191.2 KB

      So needless to say I have the motivation to start tearing into the Camaro again and really doing things right this time. Still doing the work myself (with the help of my dad I am sure and probably some friends) but taking the time to really do things right this go around. I don’t expect to really go all out on $5k aftermarket sub frames and $13k LS monster motors. But I do want to make some strategic improvements to address handling, appearance and braking to mention a few.


      Enough of me rambling on about what was…Here are the current specs on the Camaro and a few Phased approaches to performance improvements

      Current Specs
      Car: 1967 Camaro
      Color: Nassau Blue (2000 Corvette stock color)
      Motor 355ci SBC
      Transmission: Muncie 4 Speed
      Rims and Tires: 96 Corvette Rims Front: 17 X 8.5 245/35 Yokahama AVS Sport
      Rear: 17 x 10 285/30 Yokahama AVS Sport
      Front Suspension: Hotchkis Springs
      KYB Shocks
      Master Power Brakes Front Disk Brake Conversion
      Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
      2 in drop spindles
      Rear Suspension: Conversion to Multi Leaf Springs
      KYB Shocks
      Global West Traction Bars
      Stock 10 bolt (1 legger) rear end with 2.73 gears
      Exhaust: Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
      Interior: Almost all stock black interior. I did chop out a hole for the aftermarket head unit. I wish I had not done that.
      Monster 5 in Tach
      Some after market gauges (Oil, Temp and Voltage)



      Near Term Plans
      Body: Fix the rust hole in the roof
      Shave the drip rails
      Engine: Replace any leaking seals and clean up the motor
      Replace the failing starter
      Brakes: Get a Power Booster on this thing to help out with the braking

      Long Term Plans
      Where do I even start with this one? I think my imagination goes far beyond what my wallet can afford so I need to really sit down and figure out what my realistic long term goals are for the car. I am pretty sure that I will go with some LS motor however I don’t see the need until I blow up the SBC that is already in the car.



      I will need to replace the rear end and while I am doing that I might as well do some mini tubs to fit more rubber under the wheel wells. And if I take it that far then I suppose I should put in a better PT rear suspension. But what good is all that strengthening in the rear if I don’t connect the sub frames together. So, I might as well address that issue. Since I am talking about making my way up the car then the front control arms could use some improvement and it would be nice to have a power rack in there too…..And so it begins!

      Definitely some fresh body work and paint in addition to removing any and all rust that I can find!

      I hope you enjoy following my project. I cant say that the updates will be frequent however I'll get as much posted as I can as life allows me to work on her.

      Here are some additional random pics:


      Name:  Camaro Pictures 298.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  137.4 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 130.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  160.8 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 154.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  209.4 KBName:  Camaro Pictures 153.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  204.1 KB


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Idaho Falls, Id
      Posts
      1,341
      I bought my 67 Firebird 14 yrs ago when I was 15 lol. It's pretty much been stored all of that time, but I finally have a house and shop now so it'll be coming apart in the near future.

      Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it. I know that feeling of trying to decide between what's affordable and what you really wish you cold do.
      Traven

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: United States
      You mean 'Redemption'? :D

      Welcome to the site JD. What part of Cali are in? Lots of PT guys here!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

      Used to be known as flash911

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Posts
      36
      Country Flag: United States
      I really like the story and the future dreams of your project!

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2
      Country Flag: United States
      It figures that I would mis-spell the most visible word...thanks for the catch!

      I am in the SF Bay Area (Fremont)

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Newbury Park, CA
      Posts
      5,838
      Country Flag: United States
      Thread title fixed.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      GR Michigan
      Posts
      105
      Country Flag: United States
      Good luck with your project. Low dollar builds require a very tight focus and a ton of creativity. First figure out exactly what you want the car to do and focus your plan accordingly.
      Jeff

      73 Mustang Convertible




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com