Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Spindle completely separated from balljoint!!

Hey guys,

I lifted my Camaro on Sunday to change my oil and the right tire was just dangling. Went to check it out and the spindle is completely separated from the UCA! The pics aren't the best but hopefully you can see it below. The arms are connected to L&Name:  2012-08-19174140.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  91.9 KBName:  2012-08-19174151.jpg
Views: 2203
Size:  90.5 KBH Kustoms spindles and I've got MAYBE 800 miles on with all brand new components. Is this common? What happened?

Hard to say from the picture but it looks like the ball joint insert broke away from the spindle. Give Luke a call, im sure he'll take care of it.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

agreed! looks like the spindle insert came loose, cant say I have seen that happen before L&H will take care of it johnny on the spot

Thanks guys! I'll try to give him a shout tomorrow.

That is not common, and that is scary as hell.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Sheeeesh...will watch this with interest.

Glad you're in one piece.
      Chris

68 El Camino - Street Track Drag - in progress..

Toyota Station Wagon - only thing that actually runs....

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      That is not common, and that is scary as hell.
      x2

yeesh
      1967 Camaro - LM7, T56, TVS, 12.7:1
      1996 Impala SS - DD

Being that the nut and cotter key are still in place it seems that the ridetech control arm is in tact.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Good thing you had a coilover when you jacked it up!!!
      No telling how a regular coil would have shot out!!

Yeah, totally insane!

Quote Originally Posted by spacepirate View Post
      Yeah, totally insane!
      Was this the same setup you had the bearing/seal issues with?

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

Ray, you are thinking of a different pirate....... https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...dle+seal+issue
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

This isn't a ridetech issue, this is a L+H Spindle issue. Looking at their site, it looks like they don't have any warranty at all.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Ray, you are thinking of a different pirate....... https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...dle+seal+issue

Oops. Thanks, Donny.

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

Country Flag: UK
      Wow, so lucky you found it on the lift not on the street or track, glad you're ok and hope you get it sorted.

68 Firebird 400, 325 cfm Edelbrock heads, .628" solid roller, TKO 600 w/3.73's, Ridetech TruTurn and 4 link with HQ coil overs, Hotchkis Swaybars, Guldstrand mod, Baer 12" PBR 4wdb, Detroit Speed Subframe Connectors, 18x9.5 & 18x12 Apex EC-7's.

Travis thanks for the email and pics. As we spoke today I am very thankful that you and your car are ok and I am waiting for you to send the spindles back to us for inspection and we can determine exactly what happened. As I told you earlier today on the phone we have never had an issue like this before and theyre several guys with over 10k miles on them and one with 24k miles and they are all put to occasional track use. We have never had a failure before but as soon as I receive the spindle I will meet with our engineer and machinist to get to the bottom of what caused this and I assure you that we will take care of you and take the necessary measures to ensure that this doesn't ever happen again.

Thanks so much Luke! We'll get to the bottom of this!

Quote Originally Posted by L & H Kustoms:929912
      Travis thanks for the email and pics. As we spoke today I am very thankful that you and your car are ok and I am waiting for you to send the spindles back to us for inspection and we can determine exactly what happened. As I told you earlier today on the phone we have never had an issue like this before and theyre several guys with over 10k miles on them and one with 24k miles and they are all put to occasional track use. We have never had a failure before but as soon as I receive the spindle I will meet with our engineer and machinist to get to the bottom of what caused this and I assure you that we will take care of you and take the necessary measures to ensure that this doesn't ever happen again.
      Great Customer Service. You're right, very concerning.

Spindle completely separated from balljoint!!

Just curious Luke but is this one of your original designs or a revised version??

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Spindles/page3
      Last edited by zbugger; 08-22-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fixing link
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I`ll be following this closely. It`s very possible that it`s not a spindle or A arm design/construction issue but a case of good parts not working and playing well together in a particular set up. The ridetech arms are good pieces but are optimized for ridetech`s tall spindle which has a 2" drop. With L&H non drop spindles and a car run at the same final ride height as it would be with Ridetech 2" drop spindles the angle of the upper A arms will be about 14* more steep. That uses up almost half of the ball joints travel,making it very possible that it could bind in bump. That would slam the ball joint taper insert back and forth in the spindle like a hammer (note the bore in the spindle appears to be ovoid now) and could cause it to loosen up and release. The lower A arms have no bump stops,nor do the coil overs (just a polymer ring to avoid shock damage) so the suspension can pretty much travel until the car hits the ground. With an all Ridetech set up with their spindles the headers would likely hit the ground before you over travel the ball joints so it`s not an issue and the lack of bump stops allows people to lower the car more for shows etc. but with the non drop L&H spindles the additional angle could easily put things in a bind. My guess is that a set of correct height bump stops or even a few more clicks of compression dampening might have avoided the problem even with mixed application parts. Luckily this type of failure can only separate when the wheel is off the ground and hanging which is why the car still drove fine. If it hadn`t been jacked up it may have continued to work okay until it rattled enough to invite inspection. Spacepirate, even though you didn`t buy your parts from us please feel free to give me a call. I`d be happy to go over your set up with you. Mark SC&C

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com