Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 19 of 19

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Posts
      97
      I wanted turbos too but just because of all the costs I went with a nice procharger set up. They bolt on easy and if you run E85 you do not need an intercooler. By far a efficient way to do a build. No complicated exhaust work or an oil line. What you will put into cylinder head work you could have a blower at your door step! A P1SC should do you some justice. Superchargers 4 less has good pricing. Do you have E85 in your area? The P1SC is even up gradable to the D1SC I believe. I think its just an impeller change. They also have an upgrade program they release from time to time. Buy the biggest rib belt you can get with the set up.

      Holley HP EFI, Procharged D1SC, 383 Dart Little M block and forged internals. 15.5 psi on E85! Chromoly Fab 9 rear end with Strange Pro Iron center diff, 3.89's and a Chomoly 4 point roll bar. Yes, its still a 4 speed car!


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      53
      Country Flag: United States
      10K is a pretty decent budget. I'd do an EFI fuel system with one of the new Walbro pumps. some 60lb/hr injectors and a Microsquirt probably. There's a pretty steep learning curve to it so be prepared for that. Hard to beat for the price though. Besides that I would consider a wide band mandatory stuff if you do a carb or EFI, if you do carb don't forget the data logger is an extra expense. 14point7.com sells a really small "OEM" unit that I'd use if I was doing a regular MS-II. In regards to your Impy I would see if a late model 9C1/Impala SS tank would bolt in. I know that they can be put into A-bodies with some work not sure what the changes are on the B-cars. They would also take the previously mentioned Walbro pump. Some 3/8 or -6 line would get you where you need to be for 500hp as well. Buick guys can make that with the stock feed line which is 3/8.

      In regards to the turbo system, if you can get some decent used GN turbos they'll get you there or a set of HY35s off Dodge trucks. There are several variants of the latter made so be sure you get the same ones. I'd do a mild to moderate cam and some mild head work and get into the high 200hp low 300 HP range then run a decent set of rods/pistons on a production forged crank and go from there. By keeping the RPMs low you could even probably even go with a stockish replacement like SIRs.

      Lastly a turbo IS like a cam. That's for better or worse. You put a set of turbos on a 396 BBC then put them on a 502 BBC and the RPMs they come in at and top out at will go down. If you stick a set of huge turbos on a 302 CID engine you've basically done the same thing as sticking a 244/[email protected] cam in it. You're going to have to wind it up to make the power and it may be a bit lacking in subtlety.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com