Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      3
      Country Flag: United States

      4 gen pro touring

      hello everyone,as i am new to pro touring,(drag racing has been my thing for over 30 years)i have two 4th gen trans am's and one 3rd gen trans am,i would like to build a 4th gen pro touring car,is a 4th gen exceptable to the pro touring community?i havent seen anything on the web on 4th gen pro touring cars?is there a reason for this?.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome! I doubt anyone would object to one...they're basically a "pro touring" car from the factory, with plenty of potential. There are several 3rd gens here that I know of.
      Joe Hinds

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Deployed
      Posts
      3,377
      Country Flag: United States
      Hmmmm, youre right....I have not seen really ANY 4th gens at the events. Probably because we all stole their engines lol..
      1970 Camaro/DSE build


      Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,240
      Country Flag: United States
      One thing that most 4th gen owners don't take advantage of is how much tire they can fit under the stock sheet metal. This is not only in the back, but the front as well. Do some research and see how wide of a wheel tire package you can fit.
      Brett H.

      1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

      1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Location
      Mid-Michigan
      Posts
      2,764
      Country Flag: United States
      I have two 4th gens also and have done nothing to them as far as suspension goes. I upgraded the brakes on both last year which was an incredible improvement. They could both use a good lowering and I have the springs to lower the '94, just haven't done it yet. I am looking at springs for the '02 so maybe I'll get to it this year after the van build winds down a bit. Both cars handle very well and I see no reason to change anything other then simply for the look... A lowered 4th gen looks kickass, man.
      Here is the CETA with 18's and 285's

      And the '94 with 17's and 275's
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: United States
      LS1Tech is a good fourth gen site. There's wheel/tire combos and suspension upgrade threads and quite a few guys AutoX their cars as well.

      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

      Used to be known as flash911


    7. #7
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      3,355
      Country Flag: United States
      It may be that they don't fall into some people's "definition of pro-touring" which to some means, taking an old car and use modern components to achieve the handling, braking and power of a modern car. The fourth gen is a modern car to start with. Don't get wrapped in that definition. People on this site like cars that are built to drive and perform better than their stock form. Sounds like you are going to do that and will be well received around here.
      Stephen

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Posts
      88
      Country Flag: United States

      Use what you have and have fun with the like minded people

      I have a 4th gen and have been to a couple PT events. 70 Elco is in process. The people are great. Some can get caught up in the its got abs or 87 and older but mostly its gearheads that like to build and use what we have. Not just go pro lawn chair. Not to say I dont love the show part too. Just saying.
      "Speak softly and drive a six speed stick"



      -2000 Camaro SS Convt
      -1970 El Camino project




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com