Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Results 21 to 40 of 113
    1. #21
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Posts
      118
      That's just weird, the Jake tag is pure badass.



      I really should start a thread on here - mine is a 1971 that is also Sunflower Yellow. Yours is already a long way ahead of mine though. It's an inspiration!
      Matt Barr.


    2. #22
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Location
      London, UK / San Diego, CA
      Posts
      161
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bird View Post
      That's just weird, the Jake tag is pure badass.

      I really should start a thread on here - mine is a 1971 that is also Sunflower Yellow. Yours is already a long way ahead of mine though. It's an inspiration!
      I can see it poking out in your avatar - please do! I'd love to check it out. Worst case scenario you can see what NOT to do from mine haha.

      Some old photo updates from digging through my photobucket account. My goal was to do everything myself with the exception of bodywork - so far that's remained true; once JD Corvette started digging around I'm glad someone who actually knows what they're doing with the car is taking it on rather than my guessing.

      Who says fiberglass cars can't rust?





      Windshield frame corner lightened by nature:



      New windshield frame grafted in:

      Eric
      1969/72 Corvette Coupe - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-Corvette
      454 Block / Heads For Sale - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ads-SD-LA-Area
      Corvette Parts & Service:. www.vansteel.com

    3. #23
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Location
      London, UK / San Diego, CA
      Posts
      161
      Country Flag: United States
      Windshield fix from the inside:



      Where the 1969 - 1972 collaboration part comes from:



      I've always preferred the 4 fender "gills" of the 1968/69 models over the eggrate gills of the 70-72's. As the car needed a new front clip, I figured why not get what I originally wanted? The above pic shows the gills being grafted into a new 70-72 clip, in case I decide against doing additional fender flares the factory flare at the based of the wheel opening will match front to rear.

      One less number's matching 1972 vette in the world - but I prefer to think of it as one less vette off to the crusher with that amount of birdcage rust.
      Eric
      1969/72 Corvette Coupe - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-Corvette
      454 Block / Heads For Sale - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ads-SD-LA-Area
      Corvette Parts & Service:. www.vansteel.com

    4. #24
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      107
      Country Flag: Cambodia
      Name:  Yellow Corvette 010.jpg
Views: 10715
Size:  384.9 KB
      Nice build, Im doing the same thing to a C2 coupe. I would recommend mild flares versus wide flares. Flares were always used on early Corvette race cars. Using old pics as a template, you cant go wrong. Another thought would be to have the car painted in one of the traditional color schemes and then do a vinyl wrap in matte black. That will help later on with resale value. The pic of my car was before I began the rebuild. It is currently semi disassembled. Baby-sh** yellow, (sunflower yellow), is not my favorite color so I will do a wrap on the car at the end of the build. It has a new paint job so it would be a waste to repaint the thing. Good luck with your project.
      Take Care - Jerry Clements

    5. #25
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      102
      Country Flag: Netherlands
      following this one for sure...

      succes, dennis
      Project: MENACE
      Subject: 1972 C3 Convertible

      https://www.facebook.com/Menacecorvette

    6. #26
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Knoxville TN
      Posts
      94
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome work so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

    7. #27
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      1,387
      Country Flag: United States
      So u are in London Eric, thats cool! I am in france myself while my cars are on the other side of the pond as well!! How do you fit inside your vette?? I have never been in one so its a mystery to me
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

      1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo


      Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

      Randal F

    8. #28
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Location
      London, UK / San Diego, CA
      Posts
      161
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rfalker1 View Post
      So u are in London Eric, thats cool! I am in france myself while my cars are on the other side of the pond as well!! How do you fit inside your vette?? I have never been in one so its a mystery to me
      I fit fairly well, but could do with another inch or so of room in an ideal world. That's the nice part about T-tops though! Always can pop them off if I need the space haha.
      Hopefully someday there will be a first gen Camaro side by side with the Vette. In a perfect world at least.
      Eric
      1969/72 Corvette Coupe - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-Corvette
      454 Block / Heads For Sale - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ads-SD-LA-Area
      Corvette Parts & Service:. www.vansteel.com

    9. #29
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Location
      London, UK / San Diego, CA
      Posts
      161
      Country Flag: United States
      So I have an update.. Not much of an update, but an update nonetheless.

      Flares have been ordered and delivered! They accidentally shipped it to my parent's house in IL rather than the body shop but no big deal.
      I finally ordered the wheels as well - black ano'd CCW Classics, 18x10.5 in the front and 18x12.5 in the rear. I had been waffling back and forth on whether to flare the car to fit the wheels but after seeing what a set looks like in black ano the deal was sealed.

      Should have delivery within 4-6 weeks! Fingers crossed of course.
      Eric
      1969/72 Corvette Coupe - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-Corvette
      454 Block / Heads For Sale - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ads-SD-LA-Area
      Corvette Parts & Service:. www.vansteel.com

    10. #30
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      3,355
      Country Flag: United States
      CCW's are going to look great on a C3, and I am with you on the 69 fender grills. Much better look.
      Stephen

    11. #31
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Location
      London, UK / San Diego, CA
      Posts
      161
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      CCW's are going to look great on a C3, and I am with you on the 69 fender grills. Much better look.
      Thank you! It's one of those thing where I figured, why not do exactly what I want?

      I noticed a lot of projects have great renderings done for them. Who would you guys recommend? I wouldn't mind getting a nice one done and eventually having the car to match haha.

      Please send on any recommendations!
      Eric
      1969/72 Corvette Coupe - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-Corvette
      454 Block / Heads For Sale - https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ads-SD-LA-Area
      Corvette Parts & Service:. www.vansteel.com

    12. #32
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Springfield OH
      Posts
      39
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks like a great project, I think I seen parts of your build over on the CF, Subscribed here now. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

      Riggs

    13. #33
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Zanesville, Oh
      Posts
      23
      Country Flag: United States
      I say modify the frame to make the wheels and tires fit anyone can flare it. Actually I love the C3 lines the way they left the plant but will admit, some of the cars that have been flared do grow on me. Lookin forward to wathin your progress
      Please MTV........don't pimp my ride
      72 Cutlass S planned 511BBO/5spd
      87 Corvette L98/700r4 Black w/machined lip Z06 motorsport wheels 427sb/4l80e transplant in the future


    14. #34
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      3,355
      Country Flag: United States
      I think it would ge cool if you could tuck big wheels on a C3 Vette too. I like flares as much as the next guy, but if you could get the car sitting lower with a little bit of tuck, that would be a cleaner look.
      Stephen

    15. #35
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Springfield OH
      Posts
      39
      Country Flag: United States
      Tucking a large 12'' wheel under a C3 vette is not as easy as say tub and narrowing a Comaro or such. You would have to find a new location for the battery, loosing most if not all storage compartment, reworking all the fiberglass in the rear storage/floor area, and then narrowing the frame and installing a straight axle with a four link. I can think of some ways to make it work with the independent suspension, but it would all be experimental and would take a lot of time to design and test until the suspension performed well enough to take out on the track. It would look good, but I would stay with the Flares, the look of a vette with a well done set of flares is very eye catching, you don't see many of them out on the streets.

      Riggs

    16. #36
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      3,355
      Country Flag: United States
      From what I have read, it is difficult to pull it off, I was just trying to help him out with his scope creep problem by immersion therapy.
      Stephen

    17. #37
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      I love this project, Vettes are my first love thanks to my dad, and Ive always wanted a chrome bumper c3 (i was 'stuck' with a 77' as my first car haha). Its everything id want to do to a c3 given the chance ( i love the black corvette as inspiration!). I agree with Riggs though- To fit 12+" wheels in the back, youll need at least some offset trailing arms no matter what you do which means resizing the half shafts. If you modify the frame, fuel tank, battery storage, wheel wells...you wont be able to fit t-tops in the back let alone anything else. But with the flares your saving a lot of time/work that i see as unnecessay- i love flares!! Do what the c3 racers did and flare it, the factory rear geometry isnt perfect, but once again as Riggs said, better than if you tried fitting 12" in without flares. Ill be watching this one
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    18. #38
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Mocksville, NC
      Posts
      331
      Country Flag: United States
      Love the blacked out look. Just don't go too huge on those wheels and make the car look like a Wells Fargo stagecoach!! You definitly need to incorporate the "Jake" logo somewhere. Pratt and Miller are the wizards when it comes to building Vettes. Sweet ride and can't wait till she's done.
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

    19. #39
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      651
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks awesome. Very cool project.
      Dan W
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

    20. #40
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      592
      Country Flag: United States
      On Rick Springfield's car they made the body wider and unless you really know C3 vettes you cant even tell.

    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com