Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 573

    Threaded View

    1. #23
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      One thing that I didn't consider was that raising the transmission tunnel would cause the mini console I built (to connect the 2002 Camaro console to the dash) to no longer fit. I should have thought of this, but it never crossed my mind. Here's the old console I built:


      I was never really happy with the Clarion head unit. Due to the angle of the dash, the flip out screen could only point straight back or even slightly down, and with it mounted down low it was always tough to see, especially with sun glare.


      So I took this as the opportunity to build a new console and upgrade the head unit. I picked up some 3/16" round bar for the framework. This stuff is very easy to work with. Bends in a tubing bender, welds nicely and is pretty cheap:



      I mocked up a box to represent the new head unit.


      I ordered a Kenwood DDX774bh. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LmtLSl...-DDX774BH.html It should be here on Thursday. It's a double din touch screen. The face is motorized with 6 different viewing angles.



      And I'm going to be bending some PVC plastic sheet with a heat gun for the body of the console instead of fiberglassing it. Then I'll cover it with black vinyl.



      I did add a few more curved bars to the sides of the console framework, and I'll add a few more before I add the PVC. One of the issues I have with home made consoles is that they usually look home made, with a lot of boxy/90 degree angles. I think adding some gentle curves will make it look more custom as well as making for a more rigid piece. I think the front edges are too angular right now, I'll fix that once I get the new stereo and see how it's going to sit.







      The head unit comes with a very thin trim ring, which I didn't want to use. I picked up this bezel for a 2006+up Chevy truck. It's got a very subtle curve to the top and it's slightly tapered from top to bottom. I'm actually mounting it upside down to follow the shape of the new console.





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com