Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 573

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      250
      Country Flag: Argentina
      Thanks so much. Might be changing the engine so no need to charge but good to know how to.



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
      Thanks so much. Might be changing the engine so no need to charge but good to know how to.
      What's wrong with the engine?

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Posts
      45
      Country Flag: United States
      67rally, incredible build. Awesome job! You mentioned earlier in your build that you weren't particularly mechanically inclined (I'd disagree after reading your build thread) but saw that you said quite a few books helped you along. What books did you read through that proved invaluable? Especially surrounding the engine build, etc.?

      Thanks!

      PS - I tried to PM you but it said you're over your "message quota" and need to clear out some space!

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Steel409 View Post
      67rally, incredible build. Awesome job! You mentioned earlier in your build that you weren't particularly mechanically inclined (I'd disagree after reading your build thread) but saw that you said quite a few books helped you along. What books did you read through that proved invaluable? Especially surrounding the engine build, etc.?

      Thanks!

      PS - I tried to PM you but it said you're over your "message quota" and need to clear out some space!
      Thanks, I cleared out some PM space.

      It's not that I'm not mechanically inclined, it was that I didn't have any real car experience beyond the basic servicing of an engine. However, I am more than handy when it comes to house hold projects (building decks/framing/installing windows, etc.) So I wasn't afraid to attempt any of this stuff, I just needed some guidance to know what/how to do it.

      -The 1967 Camaro AIM book was very useful in knowing stock part numbers, torque specs, routing of lines/hoses, etc.
      I bought 3 LS swap books on Amazon:
      -GM LS Series Engines: The Complete Swap Manual
      -Chevy LS Engine Conversion Handbook
      -How To Build and Modify: GM LS-Series Engines
      -I have a few of the Camaro Restoration Handbooks, which would be useful to restore a car, but I have basically replaced everything on my car with aftermarket, so not really that helpful.

      It really just comes down to nuts & bolts, and torque specs/sequence. Most of the info was gathered searching online, and specifically in peoples build threads. Obviously Pro-Touring.com, Lateral-G.com, and LS1tech.com have a lot of great ideas and pics. Got some ideas on one of the Nova sites, and probably on NastyZ28 as well. I post a lot on TeamCamaro, but there wasn't as much LS info there. Definitely some real world Suspension/Brake info, once you get past the purists.

      Before I tore down the engine and came up with a final plan, I contacted Mike from Total Engine Airflow (who did my heads), as well as Martin from Tick Performance who spec'd my cam, and Don from Slowhawk who did my tuning, just to make sure I wasn't planning anything too stupid. Learned the pro's and con's of my decisions, and went from there.

      If I did the LS swap again, I would have had a plan in place the first time. I bought a running drop out motor, and then tore it down to a short block, sold all the accessories/computer/intake/heads/harness. I should have bought a shortblock and built it up from there, I would have saved some money. Shouldn't have bought the cheapo e-bay headers either, I had to replace those with some Doug's due to fitment issues.

      I did everything as budget allowed. I think if I were to do it over, I should have mini-tubbed the car when I had the frame rails replaced, and probably would have gone with a 4 link instead of the leaf springs. Nothing wrong with my setup, but if I get more serious about tracking the car, well, I hate to spend money twice...Same thing with the brakes, I went with a fixed caliper in the rear initially, then had to switch to a floating caliper because of pad knockback. Apparently a very common issue, that none of the big name brake companies seem to mention.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Posts
      45
      Country Flag: United States
      67rally,

      You're right, didn't mean to imply you had no tech smarts; no formal training would be more accurate.

      This is great! I've got those books next on my "to read" list. Thanks for the info!




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com