Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 573

    Threaded View

    1. #11
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      I have been looking at different valve covers to finish off the engine. I like the look of these, but maybe painting them the same red as my engine block, and then sanding the paint off the word Chevrolet.:


      In the meantime, I picked up a set of valve covers identical to mine on eBay for $22 so I could experiment, and decide if I like the red valve covers. Here's the passenger side one:


      Driver's side after degreasing. I screwed it to a piece of scrap wood and clamped my bench vice onto the wood:


      With the bosses roughly cut off using a thin cutoff wheel and angle grinder:


      With the bosses smoothed using a flap sanding wheel:




      I filled the remaining holes with metal epoxy and sanded them smooth:


      A coat of Duplicolor engine paint primer:


      And a coat of Duplicor Red engine paint. The gloss really brought out the imperfections in the valve covers, as well as in my grinding job. If I were going to keep these, I think I'd strip them back down and do a better job of filling/sanding:


      I decided to paint the two grooves silver (actually aluminum color), so I taped off the valve covers:




      And hit the stripes with some aluminum colored engine paint. I had to go back and touch up some spots with a brush, but they came out alright. Not a masterpiece by any means. But I'll toss these on the engine for a couple of weeks and see how they look.






    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com