Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Results 261 to 280 of 308
    1. #261
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Albemarle, NC
      Posts
      1,167
      Country Flag: United States
      what was wrong with the leaves?
      Michael Crawford

      1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

      1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

    2. #262
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      According to Hotchkis-nothing. From the beginning they had been softer than the slant six springs I had on the donor. I told them a month into owning them they looked like they were concave and not flat, but a couple weeks worth of measurements, pictures, and back-and-forth lead to them telling me they were fine. Now that they are bowed concavely after less than 7000mi on them they attribute that to my Dana 60 hitting the pinion snubber, which by my measurements is no higher than an 8-3/4". It's a sore subject for me...


      Video below for fun
      http://youtu.be/hMtr1ZsSXFs
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    3. #263
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      Wheel wells are all cut out, I need to get some sheet metal before I make anymore progress; I thought it'd take me longer to get here. I also got the heim joints in the mail.


      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    4. #264
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      After 10hrs this weekend I got the wheel wells tacked in, except for a couple patches on the passenger side.


      I cut the outer fender wells out too, there was a decent lip (~1") that I thought I'd kick myself if I didn't clear out of the way for the future. It's not the most seamless patch-up but its out of the way.


      I should have the metal for the suspension this week
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    5. #265
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      North Platte,NE
      Posts
      876
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome!



    6. #266
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks 72BBSwinger! I'd been meaning to pm you on FABO: how in the hell did you fit 275's on the front of your car?? I saw your thread where you gave the backspacing of your wheels but did you do any suspension or sheet metal work up front? I couldn't fit more than 225's on my duster with these wheels, when I wear my tires out I'll be looking to get wider wheels all around.

      The next couple days will just be sheet metal welding and grinding, nothing glamorous until hopefully the weekend.
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    7. #267
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      North Platte,NE
      Posts
      876
      Country Flag: United States
      Use an 18x9 with 30mm offset and you should be golden. A couple of other guys are running 18x10's with 22-25mm offset and 285's now, its amazing how tight you can get them visually but not have any contact. One secret is in the alignment, -1 ish in camber and at least 8+ caster.

    8. #268
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind, I knew I could fit more tire in with a different offset then what I'm currently running, although I'm not sure how wide I want to go with manual steering.
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    9. #269
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Albemarle, NC
      Posts
      1,167
      Country Flag: United States
      ive git 255/40/`7 front on mustang bullit wheels, -1 camber, +5 caster. really low, fmj spindles. I see no reason I couldn't put 275 on the front with the same wheels.

      looking good on the demon.

      and you've talked me out of the hotchkis leaves for mine. ill leave the 340 leaves in it with the flipped hanger.
      Michael Crawford

      1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

      1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

    10. #270
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      North Platte,NE
      Posts
      876
      Country Flag: United States
      I have the Hotchkis leaves also, I am going to add some half leafs to the front segment to see if I can get them to hold up better. Mine haven't sagged like Tim's but they wad up under power way too much.

    11. #271
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Lethbridge, AB
      Posts
      177
      Country Flag: Canada
      I can't believe you got hit a second time! I'm pretty sure if I were in your position, I'd be typing this from the local penitentiary
      Build Thread!!!https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88692-1971-Speedipus-Rex&p=925864&posted=1#post925864

    12. #272
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      Haha, the second one was a 18yo kid who was really apologetic, which helped. Things happen, and I already needed a new rear bumper but I know what you mean
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    13. #273
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Location
      Barneveld, WI
      Posts
      12
      Long time viewer. Glad to see you back working on it.

    14. #274
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks RMonte!

      Not too much visual progress, the inner fenders are done and ready for paint. I finally got the upper link's crossmember cut and tacked in, I cut the mounting tabs but realized I should look more closely into link angles/heights before cutting. If I have a 3.5" tall mount (5" from axle CL) on the differential It'll be at 100% anti squat. Hopefully I can get the upper links tacked in this week.



      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    15. #275
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      It's hard to get decent pictures underneath but I have the upper links tacked to the crossmember and should be symmetrical within ~1/4". I originally tried to 'freehand' the templates for the links-that didn't work well. These I drew the radius out in CAD and assured the links will be were right distance from the crossbar. If all goes well maybe I can start working on the lower links by next weekend.



      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    16. #276
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      North Platte,NE
      Posts
      876
      Country Flag: United States
      Tim how is your driveshaft to tunnel clearance? I am at kind of a fork in the road of my current build of raise the tunnel or live with it. Your car is a 108" WB to my 111" but I think the floors are pretty much the same.

    17. #277
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      I'll give you an exact measurement when I'm under there next time, the car is where I want ride height to be now and in the pictures. With the hotchkis springs I would rub the diff u-joint on big bumps, I'll be removing the pinion snubber and that crumpled piece of floor that was rubbing (bad area of the factory stamping) but otherwise I haven't had tunnel clearance issues.
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    18. #278
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      North Platte,NE
      Posts
      876
      Country Flag: United States
      I know what you mean, I have kicked around putting a box right there for a 3rd link eventually to go.

    19. #279
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      The diff mounts are tacked in place, and I've moved onto the lower links, starting with removing the leaf spring and cutting the frame rail. Hopefully tomorrow I can cut the new frame rail section, tack it into place and move onto the other side. Hoping that by the weekend I might have everything tacked and I can start pulling things out to weld completely.




      Here is the clearance I'll have in the driveshaft tunnel, I had maybe 2" at the snubber with the leaves (and the car 'bulldogging')
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    20. #280
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Lakeland, FL
      Posts
      516
      Country Flag: United States
      One side in, hopefully the other will be in by mid Saturday and I can move onto the links and pulling everything apart to weld up and paint.

      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

    Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com