Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 44
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States

      Getting older or just more mature?

      Well I'm new to the site and new to the pro-touring scene but I've been wrenching for quite a few years and have a few projects under my belt. To introduce myself and how I got here I should start from the beginning so here we go... This was my baby for the past few years and has treated me VERY well. She was a 98 that I picked up for less than $3k and had worked her over pretty good inside and out. She had a LS6 and ran 13.2's steady. I just loved rolling up next to a stock mustang and walking away! Ah the old days....

      Name:  IMG_0340.JPG
Views: 1760
Size:  718.2 KB



      Someone once said behind every good man there is his woman and some how that stupid saying suck and has gone down in history. I think whoever started that should have been shot cause behind me is the person responsible for the unneeded spending of thousands of dollars over the years of my life and I'm sure being as there is now a teenage daughter driving in the house the money will just keep flowing! Anyway, after a great life and treating me well the poor old truck meet her end with my girlfriend behind the wheel. To make things worse I saw it all happen from another car. Guess you could say adding insult to injury? LOL Here's what was left...

      Name:  IMG_0356_sm.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  257.2 KB

      Name:  IMG_0355_sm.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  408.9 KB

      98's don't have much insurance value and even less when they're not stock so it got totaled and I moved on(after stripping it of course). I guess at some point the cost of building the car is less important to you as the fun it was when it's all complete and think I've hit the realization over the past few years so I decided to jump in head first to a project that I could love even after it's wrecked and something I could actually sell for some good money if that day ever came. So out of the ashes of the ole beloved truck came the new baby to the family! Nov2010

      Name:  origanal_sm.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  25.0 KB

      As you can see it's pretty well stripped clean and although I've never done a bones up build I've done a lot of tearing down to that point and back up so I can't imagine it to be a whole lot different. It's also my 1st 68 so I'm really looking forward to it. Obviously it was bought as a project and not something I'll be driving around in the next few months so I have plenty of time to plan it out and get the right parts. So far after xmas I've knocked a few big things off the list and post them here next. I'll keep adding pics as the project gets moving along and if any build veterans want to point out any mistakes you're more than welcome. I'm never to proud to take some lessons!


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Hills of Anaheim
      Posts
      273
      Welcome to the site!
      Matt - 1970 Chevelle

      www.street-demons.com

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      As promised here is where it stands today. I wasn't all up on taking pics to start so I'm in catch up mode now. 12 hours after getting the car I jumped in and stripped off the front clip. I was mainly looking to see what I had to work with. It had a little rust but nothing really bad and something I'll work with in time. I decide to start from the ground up and yanked the old subframe. I went GW for the entire front end although I didn't take pics in the process here is how it stands now.

      Name:  IMG_0561_sm.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  195.0 KB

      Name:  IMG_0575_sm.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  157.1 KB

      Name:  IMG_0576_sm.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  115.8 KB

      This has been on the car since early Jan11 and you can already see the love of the gulf coast on the rotors. As I said, I replaced the whole front sub, steering, swaybar, coilovers, everything! So if anyone is looking for a complete stock clip w/ discs let me know!

      Next came the rear end and after years of dealing with a leaf rear end and cal-traks(which worked great btw) I decided to go a different route and have something a little more tunable for my driving style. Now keep in mind this is not going to be only a track car. I plan on driving this a lot so I don't want to go all out crazy w/ the build and I'm trying to stay in a budget but I do need to perform to my standards so as you look through the pics don't be surprised if you see one component swap that is over the top and the next is just basic. I'm sure I'll be upgrading in time or as I need it down the road. Case in point, I decided to go the 4-link route but not do the mini-tubs. I'll stick w/ the 275's on the back. I'm kind of partial to the balanced look on all four corners and I don't plan on going over the top under the hood so 275's should be fine.

      Name:  IMG_0560_sm.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  115.6 KB

      Name:  IMG_0566_sm.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  269.6 KB

      My next big buy is rear Wilwoods, third member and wheels/tires. Gotta love tax season! That should finish off the rolling chassis for now and allow me to start working body issues. I can already tell wheels are going to be fun. From what I've read through other posts 275/18's will fit but they need to be really exact on the measurements so hopefully I'll get it right the 1st time! If anyone is running a non mini-tubed Ford 9 rear with 18's all around I'd love to hear specs on the wheels you're running. Also, any reasonably priced source of 5 or 6 spoke rims are always welcome...

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: United States
      Jason Jason Jason! Welcome Brother! Nice project you got there....

      Team PT - meet Jason. Great guy, smart and has a good plan going on. Jason is also a vet of our great country so lets show him some love.

      As far as rear wheels - there are some experts here (Prodigy, PTS, Drivers) that know this cold and will chime in here, but depending on your rear end width you can run 18x9.5's, 5.5" BS on a 275 tire. Check fitment and roll them lips if need be.

      Call me anytime I can help Sir. Oh, and post more pics!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

      Used to be known as flash911

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey Ron! I thought this might be easier than emailing photos! Thanks for the love and I'll keep posting as parts come in and get put on. I have some traveling to do next month (I know you know that feeling) so I don't see any real install time for a bit but believe me there will be parts ordering!!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: United States
      Ok man, but you're on the clock now...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

      Used to be known as flash911

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      Well I tackled the rear-end yesterday. I ended up going w/ a 4.10, 1330, detroit locker set in the rear and the Wilwoods for stopping power. I'm still working a bit on the parking cable setup but I have a pretty good plan for moving forward!

      Name:  IMG_0602-sm.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  233.9 KB

      Name:  IMG_0607-sm.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  219.2 KB

      With everything mocked up I can see that I'll need to do something to keep the p/b cables away from the wheels but until I get the wheels I don't know exact placement so I'll have to hold off on that. As for the cable assemble, after reading about everyones dislike of the hold strength on the lokar setup I wanted to try and stick with the stock setup as much as possible. I ran all factory cables and I am going to try and adapt the rear cables to the Wilwoods. I think I can do this pretty easily with out pulling my hair out to much. By doing a little cut and grinding I was able to use the same factory cable clamps used forward on the car and locked the rear cables in place to the Wilwood brackets. All I have to do now is adjust cable length to the correct size and attach the cable itself to the p/b assembly. This is the only spot I have to stop and think about for a bit. I can think of a few ways but a little trial and error will probably come to play.

      Name:  IMG_0603-sm.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  197.5 KB

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Pensacola, FL
      Posts
      1,265
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm running a moser rear with ford ends. I used the the lokar T-bird parking brake kit with my C5 rear brakes. I kept the factory parking brake pedal assembly and front cable along with the oem curved metal channel that the rear cable goes thru. I used the lokar cables and looped them together with the included junction block. Just slipped it in the curved metal channel and adjusted. Holds very well. Maybe I can catch at cruisin the coast this year..
      Scott

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      Scott, We'll have to stay in touch. I'm out your way a few times a year for work and of course I'll be around for crusin the coast this year! I'm 100% sure I won't be in the car this year but I'm hoping by next year it'll be drivable. Body work alone is gonna be a big part/most of my buget this year and thats before I ever get it started! LOL

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      Just a quick update on the car. The Summer has been really busy so the Camaro bank account is growing for the next needed part but nothing new has been bolted on. Wheels are right around the corner but I have two birthdays and xmas coming so I think January will be my next big spending spree! I'll keep everyone updated!

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Brisbane, Australia
      Posts
      65
      Country Flag: Australia
      Nice, welcome to the site. Great story. Keep the pics coming

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States

      Latest updates....

      While I'm waiting on saving for an expensive set of wheels I figured I could tackle my one bad rust spot on the body. Being an easily replaceable part I just drilled out the old and bought the replacement. I just need to weld it in and seal it off and I'll be good. Any old experts have any advice for a newbie sheet metal guy?



      All removed, ready to clean up and weld on the new cowl panel. I was thinking of hitting it with some POR-15 to make sure the surface rust doesn't get any worse. Thoughts?



    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      With the little stuff replaced I decided to take the next big dive! Planning on the car going into the paint shop in a week so I should have some good pics up in the next few weeks....

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States

      Wheels!

      Wheels are in and bolted up so it must be time to get it rolling to the body shop! Their not exactly what I wanted but at 1/4 of the price I don't think I'll have much room to complain. I'll role these for a bit until it's at least running and gets a few miles on it. I just can't see spending 4-5K on wheels to have it sit in the garage for another year or two when I can spend that money elsewhere and get it on the road faster.... I don't think I'll be able to have that much spending control when it comes to the body work! LOL


    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      fort worth,texas
      Posts
      96
      very nice project!
      1962 Impala vert

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice Jason. The Coys will come later. Get the body work done...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

      Used to be known as flash911

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      Thats what I keep telling myself Ron..... I'm getting itchy to get thing done so I NEED to get it into the bodyshop. Once thats out of the way everything else is down hill! I'm sure it'll be a long hill but down hill non-the-less.....

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: United States
      ^ Ha, I'm finding out that hill is a loooong run after body and paint, even w a boatload of parts! Keep posting Jason...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

      Used to be known as flash911

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States
      Some last minute updates.... Threw some wheels on to get it to the body shop..




    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Ocean Springs, MS
      Posts
      84
      Country Flag: United States

      C6 mirrors on the 68

      Body shop means I needed some mirrors so after hours of searching threw the forums and a few posts I decided on the C6 mirrors. I've heard mixed reviews but once they're on I have to say they look GREAT! I thought they might be a little big or not match the body lines but after seeing them on that's not the case! I'm completely happy so they're getting painted!! :D





      Dropped the car off this morning at the shop so the next pictures should be primed and painted shots!!

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


    Tags for this Thread


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com