Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 16 of 16
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States

      Revamped '72 Chevelle Back with a Vengence

      The car isn't completely pro-touring but it is on its way, I figured it is still worth posting an update.

      It's been a long summer, the car has been away at the shop getting a complete suspension, transmission, and brake overhaul. I finally got the car home yesterday so I cleaned it all up and made it pretty for the big forum reveal.

      What's been done:
      TH 700 Transmission
      UMI Performance Tubular Upper and Lower front control arms (black)
      UMI Performance Upper and Lower Rear control arms (black)
      QA1 Coilovers
      Bilstein Shocks
      Front disc brake conversion with Baer Calipers
      New drums in back
      Newly built rear end with 4:11s
      New painted gas tank
      Shiftworks auto shift kit so I can manually upshift
      Boss 338 (black) wheels (18x8 in front & 18x9.5 in back)
      Nitto NT05 (245/45/18 in front & 275/40/18 in back)
      +a few other random upgrades














    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Georgia
      Posts
      2,178
      Country Flag: United States
      nice looking car, will be cool to see it here when finished

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      Here are some more pics, some night photos to show off the led tail lights.










    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      Updates.......
      Last summer I found some new seats for the Chevelle that are out of an 05 Tiburon. I whipped up some brackets and got em installed. Eventually they will be recovered with leather.


      I bought a set of ANVIL's A-Pillars and they look incredible, I have yet to install them but I'm enjoying them as eye candy on my project table in the mean time.




      Also got a set of Ringbros hood pins another excellent product. Unfortunately this one gave me a bit of a fit during the install, the pin was too tall and the thread wasn't deep enough on the pin to securely latch the hood. After a few re-threading dies I eventually got the correct one then bam fit like a glove.










      I'm not sure what the reaction to this next update will be but I think it works on the car. I believe I may have the first Chevelle with Supertones. I made some brackets and thought it would be cool to mount them to look like second headlights like the 70 Chevelle.








      It was difficult to take pictures of them installed, they don't really do it justice but I think it looks good.





    5. #5
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      Continuing....I ditched the windshield wiper motor because I don't even have wipers so I made a little closeout panel to cover the hole. I made an MDF template than just used a copy bit on my router to transfer it to aluminum. It's nothing real special but I'm slowly becoming more adventurous and trying new things.






      I decided it was finally time for an engine bay overhaul. I bought a March serpentine kit from MCB and cleaned everything up before installing it. I started by smoothing and painting my alternator and power steering pump.
      Unattractive before pic

      Alternator smoothed



      Painted


      Some billet beauty shots





      Starting the install








      I couldn't get myself to buy the $200 braided power steering pump hoses so I ended up searching all around town for parts and I have to say I was shocked at how unhelpful and disinterested my local auto parts stores were to help me out. So I took it upon myself and bought a few universal kits online and rigged them together to get a functioning power steering pump. It's not the prettiest set up but it works for now.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      I also began swapping out all the nasty rubber hoses for Russel's nice nylon braided stuff. I'll have to get some more pics because for some reason I stopped taking pictures.


      I also got a new set of MSD spark plug wires to which was much needed because the week before I burnt through one and was running on 7 cylinders.

      Finally, I began working on my rear package tray as the first step in my interior garage makeover. I have a lot of sanding left to do but the plan is to cover it in some form of leather and have an aluminum trimmed perforated metal insert in the tree openings.






      I ordered the metal, should be here this week and am currently searching for leather or some kind of synthetic leather. If anyone has a product they have used and would recommend I would love to hear about it. I will be covering the package tray and door panels in the material I end up with.

      I have also been finishing up the designs for the rest of the interior. I discovered that TMI sells a suede headliner for the car and am thinking about pulling the trigger. Let me know what you think or if you have any experience with their suede stuff.

      http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...EUDEHEADLINERS

      I am going to be continuing the carbon fiber theme from the a-pillars to the dash and console and probably the door panels but time will tell.

      More to come in the next few weeks......

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      1,623
      Country Flag: United States
      Looking good!! I have a similar plan for my rear package tray. I'm interested in seeing how the trim works out. How do you plan to make the corners?
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      How do you plan to make the corners?
      Thanks, what exactly do you mean by the corners. I just used a large drill bit and a jig saw for the MDF cut outs and will use a cut off wheel and a belt sander to make the corners on the aluminum.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      1,623
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by crazycarguy22 View Post
      Thanks, what exactly do you mean by the corners. I just used a large drill bit and a jig saw for the MDF cut outs and will use a cut off wheel and a belt sander to make the corners on the aluminum.
      Ok, sorry. Are you going to weld the aluminum sticks together or make it out of one large sheet? I guess I'll have to wait and see how you'll be doing it.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      Oh I got ya, I am making it out of one piece. After thinking about it for some time I think I will make an MDF template with double sided tape to attach it to the aluminum and cut the trim pieces out with a router and copy bit. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder of any kind or any welding skills but eventually I would like to acquire both.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Posts
      26
      Country Flag: United States
      How do you like umi suspension on your car? Thought about using just there front but I might do the rears also. Car looks good by the way

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm really happy with them, at the time they didn't have the new taller ball joint versions which is what I would get now but the car rides excellent since the upgrade. I've got both upper and lower in the front and back and they made a significant difference on my car.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      275
      Country Flag: United States
      I've also had a lot of problems with my local auto parts stores. They don't seem as helpful as they used to. It seems if they can't look up a part number on the computer, they can't help you. Not very helpful considering the modified nature of all our cars.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      61
      Country Flag: United States
      That is the truth but at least forums like this have such great vendors we can almost do away with the local stores.

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Philipsburg, Pa
      Posts
      545
      Car looks great! Very nice project. Looking forward to seeing more.
      Ryan
      UMI Performance
      www.umiperformance.com
      814.343.6315

      Join us on Facebook!

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      1,295
      Paint the horns black.
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com