Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 6 of 6
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Location
      California
      Posts
      794
      Country Flag: United States

      700r4 with a blower?

      Has anyone ever run a 700r4 with a 6-71 blown engine and run into any problems? Im planning on using one in my GTO with a 6-71 blown 400. I was going to use a TCI streetfighter. Has anyone run this type of combo?



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Long Beach, Ca
      Posts
      1,564
      Country Flag: United States
      Good ol' Shep.

      I would also look into using the 4 speed out of the newer HD trucks, the 4L80e. A stock one of those would probably hold up behind that engine. You would have to get an aftermarket controller for the electronics though.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      alpine ca
      Posts
      657
      Country Flag: United States
      a 700 shouldnt be a problem with a blower
      350's and 400's had turbos (just could never find them inside)
      hahaha
      John
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      Auburn, CA
      Posts
      613
      Country Flag: United States
      Has this tranny been built up at all? If not the sun shell from these as well as some of the other internals depending on the year of the trans really should be updated first. The early versions didn't survive very well even behind a 6 cylinder of an Astro van.

      I have seen these things take abuse but only after being updated to take it. If you don't already have a core buy the latest model unit you can find.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Beach Park IL
      Posts
      3,047
      Country Flag: United States
      TCI uses a constant pressure valve body which pretty much renders the tv cable useless. The streetfighter 700 will HAMMER every gear, I've seen them scratch 3rd at light throttle. It sounds fun but isn't.....

      Look for a local trans shop with a good rep as they will be able to "tune" it for you once it's running.

      If that's not for you I would talk to gearstar for a mailorder trans.

      A 4L80E is a BIG trans and takes up a lot of space, I am not sure about fit up in your car but I do know they are huge.

      Donny

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      92
      Country Flag: United States
      I know this thread is a little old, but I'd definitely warn you away from using a 700 with that much power. I actually forgot how many I've killed with just a 502 in my 2wd street truck. Its either 12 or 13. I've used TCI as well as local builders, and they all turned out to be time bombs. I've met many nice tow truck drivers though, and even learned how to drive in reverse pretty well. Also, the 3.06 1st gear might be a little steep with a lot of power. All I did was spin right through it. Even though its more of a hassle, go with the 4L80E. You'll only have to do it once.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com