Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Threaded View

    1. #10
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Chattanooga, TN
      Posts
      137
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67Camaro View Post
      Jere,
      I have narrowed the search to a shiftworks shifter and a Lokar Floor shifter with a cable.

      It seems as though a cable shifter will be easier with the 6L80e. It adapts better to the confined spaces of the 67 tunnel, and the location of the shifter. (the top of the 6L80e nearly touches the bottom of the tunnel--and my motor is very low relative to the frame--which notes I have maximized my usable space).

      The shiftworks shifter ranges form $300-350, plus $75 for the cable (in lieu of the rod linkage).
      The Lokar floor shifter w/cable is $290. (@ Summit)


      The shiftworks shifter functions very similar to a factory shifter. It has its' own gate/detent profile, which can be removed and possibly modified if needed- to match that of the 6L80e.

      I spoke with Lokar, and their push-pull cable uses the detents of the tranny itself. The Lokar shifter has a push button lock which must be depressed to move in/out of park, and into reverse. Beyond that, the Lokar shifter is positioned by the detents on the rooster comb of the 6L80e. I believe this will work well with the 6L80e. You can also order one which is intended for the 700R4. (so you'd have Overdrive, drive, 2 and 1).

      I have also called B & M/Hurst, and TCI. Neither of the firms provides shifters for the 6L's....yet.

      I am currently leaning towards the Lokar shifter now. It is more affordable, and it will look better without a consule. It also appears that less modification will be needed to match the shift gates!
      Bobby,

      See you have change transmission type from 6L90E to 6L80E. At least the Pontiac shallow pan will work without modification.

      From what John Spears (Speartech) say, any shifter will work with the 6L80E. No shifter gate modifications required. I don't think you can can even select Overdrive, drive, 2 and 1. I don't think the 6L's have detents for those, including the Corvette shifter that does have a "S" Sport mode position on it's shifter. It just changes TCU internal shift program.



      Am I reading your post correctly, that you are mounting the engine low so you don't have to cut the tunnel or if you do only where it touches trans mounted low?

      How much ground clearance will engine oil pan have, and since the transmission pan is lower than the oil pan, how much ground clearance will it have?

      Jere





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com