Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 2 of 2

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Fullerton, CA
      Posts
      2
      Country Flag: United States

      TH350 transmission vs 168T flexplate - clearance issues

      Hi,

      I am working on a 1969 Camaro with an engine from a '77 Vette. I installed a TH350 transmission on it and my buddy had ordered a 14.13" 168T flexplate for it. When I went to install the starter, it would not clear the flexplate so I looked up in the bellhousing and it is so close on each side and I'm pretty sure that its hitting on the passenger side. The driver's side probably has 1/16" between the inside of the trans and the flexplate.



      Its my understanding that the starter determines what flexplate is used, not the transmission. Has anyone heard of a 168T plate hitting the inside of the transmission? I can't seem to find anything about this issue online. I think that the starter has the bolts across from each other so it must require the 153 tooth but it is still very strange that the 158 would not clear.

      Thanks,
      Toby


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Lawrenceville, IL
      Posts
      348
      Country Flag: United States
      The 168T flexplate is going to take a different starter than the 153T uses. If the bellhousing mounts over the 168T it will work with the correct starter. Yes, it will be REALLY close to the bellhousing and that's normal.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com