Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Results 61 to 80 of 161
    1. #61
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      The front brakes are going to be a pretty cool, yet relatively inexpensive, setup. We could have just as easily snagged the 2 piston calipers and rotors that came on these spindles, and had a decent upgrade, but with over 500hp on tap we're going to need more than decent. I had originally expected to do some spindle cutting, and using an aftermarket bracket on the original spindles, but a talk with Tobin at Kore3 put me on the right track. He advised using the S10 Blazer spindles and hubs, since its already set up to accept a 2 piston style caliper, and he has a bracket kit that will allow the use of C5/C5Z06/or base C6/Z51 calipers. I'll be using the C6 Z51 style abutments (brackets), and the corresponding 13.3 inch rotors. Jeff Tate has ordered the abutments for me, and I'm still checking around on the rotors and calipers, but it looks like the total parts bill for the front discs will be about $7-750. Using F-body stuff for the rear, and a C5/C6 master cylinder, we'll have a serious 4 wheel disc braking system for less than a grand!
      Joe Hinds

    2. #62
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by The Stickman View Post
      What springs are in the rear and what's going in the front? Thanx. I need to start getting springs for the wife's car.
      The rear springs are BellTech, with a 2" drop.
      Joe Hinds

    3. #63
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      We just received the new front rotors. They are C6 "J55" front rotors, from the Z51 suspension package. They use standard C5/C5 Z06/C6 base calipers (all the same), but a taller abutment. The calipers and pins are on the way, and the abutments should be in today also.

      Comparing the old rotors to the new is like comparing tea saucers to trash can lids!



      The old rotor on top of the new:

      Joe Hinds

    4. #64
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Rotor installed...still waiting on calipers, brackets, etc.

      Joe Hinds

    5. #65
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      70
      Joe, will the paint & interior be staying? refreshed? Looks like its a mechanical update, more or less.

      looks great so far. My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out I picked up an '89 Mazda 323 Wagon for the next "mini project"... I have a complete 2.2L turbo stroker engine a guy wants, but he doesn't hvae the mechanical ability to do the swap. So it'll be a money maker to finance the King Cobra.

      Nice work, good to see someone using all top=shelf parts.

      Rob.

    6. #66
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      We're not doing anything with the interior or paint, just mechanicals. The car is in very good shape paint and interiorwise...not flawless, but far nicer than most G-bodies I run across. It gets more attention than just about any car that has ever been in my shop.
      We have repainted the engine compartment (semi gloss black), and are painting the frame, and coating the underbody with spray-on bedliner. There will be a lot of paint detailing on the smaller parts...gas tank and straps, etc...and all new lines run for fuel and brakes...but the focus of this build is on the mechanicals. We love doing full builds, but we also do quite a few like this one (engine and transmission swaps/upgrades, along with suspension and brake upgrades, on a basically sound or finished car). We're doing a '67 Camaro like that now. Honestly, I prefer jobs like this one, since its easy to get bogged down in the paint and bodywork, and those are often "budget killers"!
      Joe Hinds

    7. #67
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Here are a few shots of the BRP/Musclerods engine mounts. They come powdercoated with a nice silver, and have Energy Suspension bushings installed. All the parts are marked, so there is no guesswork as far as how to mount them.







      I got a surprise today...my order from KORE3 came in (just ordered late Thursday!). I ordered the front hoses, and the caliper bracket kit. They came with all the hardware, brackets for the hoses, as well as Loctite for the mounting bolts. This was my first order from KORE3, and won't be the last. Thanks Tobin!

      Joe Hinds

    8. #68
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      1,295
      Question - are you going to paint that gold plated crap on the brackets?

      I think its some kind of plating they put on metal. I've had a few swaybar brackets that have been covered in it, and after a few years start to rust out. So everytime I see that type metal finish, I always scuff it and spray bomb it.

      Also - nice choice on the z51 brakes - I still have my setup sitting in storage till I can bolt them on a project car, haha.
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

    9. #69
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Yes, definitely...it looks good now, but I agree, it will be rusty in no time. I have a few items that I may just powder coat, if I can get it done quickly enough so as not to hold up the build too much.

      To me, after looking at the options, the Z51s are pretty much a no-brainer. Sure, the rotors cost a little more than a regular C5 rotor (I paid about $90 each with my discount from O"Reilly's), but for the price of a cheaply made, Chinese stock-size disc brake kit for an old musclecar we're getting something proven, and that can be serviced easily anywhere. There are probably more pad choices for a C5/C6 than anything on the road. I'm duplicating this setup on my son's 87 GN when we get the build started, hopefully sometime this summer. He's not quite 13, so we hav a little time to get it done.
      Joe Hinds

    10. #70
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      I have had a few inquiries, and basically everything not being reused from this swap is for sale (chromed TPI runners and plenum, TPI computer and harness, Concept One accessory drive and accessories, the 305, the TH700R4, the like new Modine radiator with Summit electric fan, and the original brake parts. PM me, email, or call, I don't want to clog up this thread with parts for sale. Thanks!
      Joe Hinds

    11. #71
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Good news from Jeff Tate this morning! The transmission just came in, as did the J55 caliper abutments and the starter bolts! Now we are just waiting on the Cable X box and the Afco radiator. I checked with Tom, the owner of the car, and we're going with red calipers.
      Joe Hinds

    12. #72
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      wow i love this build!!!

      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks


    13. #73
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks Kevin! We're pretty excited about it too. If all goes well we should be bolting in the LS3 and transmission tomorrow!

      Right now we're getting the steering box and steering linkage cleaned up, and I just ordered the rear brake setup from Hawk's. We'll be using late 4th gen F-body rear discs (98-02 Camaro/Firebird). I spoke to Tobin at KORE3 about the brake system, and he advised that while we could go C5/C6, we would be giving up the parking brake to work with our existing rearend, due to the offest of the rear Vette rotors. If we used 9" Torino style housing ends, it could all be bolted up and made to work, but thats more fab/time than we want to spend for what would be a marginal improvement. The F-body rear rotors are 11.93 inches, so the stopping power will be very good, and we'll still retain the parking brake (which to me is vital for a street car). We'll get some replacement rotors that are drilled to match the fronts, and detail paint them to look more like the front discs. We'll use the original master cylinder, and a Wilwood combination valve. I'll be fabbing all the brake lines.

      BTW, I'd like to thank Tobin at KORE3 for all his help in setting up the brake system. He is a wealth of information, and I'd recommend him and his products to anyone looking to do a brake upgrade.
      Joe Hinds

    14. #74
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Some of the goodies we got in today:

      The Supermatic 4L70E Transmission











      Joe Hinds

    15. #75
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      265
      Country Flag: United States
      Ok....officially love this build. Lovin' the wagon!

    16. #76
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks Dave! Its funny, when people ask what I'm putting the LS3 in, they sort of get this look of disbelief when I tell them "'83 Malibu Wagon"! Then they see it, and they understand!
      Joe Hinds

    17. #77
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Lehigh Valley Pa
      Posts
      1,269
      Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgMusclecars View Post
      The rear springs are BellTech, with a 2" drop.
      Thanx, loving the build.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

    18. #78
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Glad you like it, Neil!

      I spent a good part of the day chasing parts and talking to customers, so now that the shop is quiet I'm getting some stuff done. Fortunately my crew got lots of cleaning and detailing done while I was busy, so hopefully we'll be installing the engine in the morning. Still lots to do before its ready to fire.

      The original Corvette pan was still on the engine, so I decided to get started on changing it out for the "musclecar" pan.

      I just removed the pan, and the pickup, before remembering I should be taking pics. Doh! Its been a long day. The widage tray isn't much different than the replacement (different part #s, and a few subtle differences).



      Inside the original pan



      The new windage tray



      Inside the LS3







      The new pickup bolts up from the opposite side (both sides are drilled)







      Here I am holding the old pickup:



      The new pickup and windage tray bolted down:



      The new pan and gasket. Note the gasket is riveted to the pan in 2 places. I guess GM doesn't want the gasket to slip out.







      The pan in place, but not yet bolted down. I need to get some gray Hylomar in the morning for the corners (that is what GM used)



      9:47PM...time to call it a day.
      Joe Hinds

    19. #79
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Ok, got the oil pan bolted down. Off to NAPA to pick up a few things!
      Joe Hinds

    20. #80
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      265
      Country Flag: United States
      Just giving you a heads up...probably going to steal this build and make a 442 H/O Wagon of a similar vintage...just saying.

    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com