Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Results 141 to 160 of 161
    1. #141
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      La Porte, tx
      Posts
      13
      even the oem crossmember mounts to the bottom of the rails... I dont think you would ever have the room for bolts and the crossmember on top of them

      ~Charlie~78 landau coupe frame off resto begun


    2. #142
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Byron, IL
      Posts
      17
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by slick78 View Post
      even the oem crossmember mounts to the bottom of the rails... I dont think you would ever have the room for bolts and the crossmember on top of them
      Oh ok. I figured that the Malibu would be very similar, if not the same, to the Monte Carlo and Cutlass but apparently I was wrong.
      Marc P.

    3. #143
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      La Porte, tx
      Posts
      13
      nope you were right the frames are the same for the g-bodies except the elky's have a longer wheelbase
      ~Charlie~78 landau coupe frame off resto begun

    4. #144
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by NBM-WU8 View Post
      Am I seeing this right that the crossmember is mounted to the bottom of the frame rails rather than on top like stock?

      I am working on doing a similar swap into our 88 MCSS but we are using a 200-4r behind the LS3 using the Muscle Rods LS Swap kit. We are having some issues with the crossmember hitting the floorpan on the drivers side when it is placed on the top of the frame rails.

      I've read that this can be a body bushing issue, but this is a 20k mile car that we are starting with. Do you have any thoughts on this?
      That shot was during the initial mock up, before the holes were drilled for mounting the crossmember. It actually installs to the top of the frame. It was only bolted up this way to mark the hole location.

      This car had more like 100k, and we didn't have any issues with body bushings, or florrpan clearance. If you haven't already, call BRP and ask for Jeff or Nick. They can get you straightened out.
      Joe Hinds

    5. #145
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      La Porte, tx
      Posts
      13
      I looked at the pic again I thought he meant the top of the frame rail (like between the body and frame) but ya'll are talking about the top of the bottom flange....excuse me I'm not usually this slow
      ~Charlie~78 landau coupe frame off resto begun

    6. #146
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Byron, IL
      Posts
      17
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgMusclecars View Post
      That shot was during the initial mock up, before the holes were drilled for mounting the crossmember. It actually installs to the top of the frame. It was only bolted up this way to mark the hole location.

      This car had more like 100k, and we didn't have any issues with body bushings, or florrpan clearance. If you haven't already, call BRP and ask for Jeff or Nick. They can get you straightened out.
      I've tried getting ahold of BRP for the last few days but I haven't been able to reach anyone. I also left a message the other day on what I think may be Phil's cell phone (got the number from Chris @ Hedman) but I got no response.
      Marc P.

    7. #147
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      PM me your number and I will make sure someone calls you back.
      Joe Hinds

    8. #148
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Location
      CLARKSBURG,WV
      Posts
      3
      HELLO PRO TOURING WORLD

      Finally I have an update on Project Grocery Getter. I got her back from Bulldawg muscle cars and the Power Tour in Mid June and have been steadily working to improve her to what I considered to be a world class vehicle. The following is a list of what I have done since the initial build.

      1. The AC compressor on early Chevrolet Malibu V8's was located on the drivers side and LS engine conversion's locate's the compressor on the passenger side. Solution is 1986 V8 Olds Cutlass used passenger side AC compressor and we installed a new condenser from that year cutlass which eliminated AC hose's running across the front of the LS engine.

      2. Installed a new AC Delco evaporator from Auto Parts Warehouse .com.

      3. Had all new AC hose's the correct length for the changes made at local hose shop.

      4. When you install an LS engine in G-body cars the engine is moved slightly to the passenger side for clearance issues and a drive shaft safety loop purchased over the internet caused the drive shaft to make contact with the loop. A local machine fabrication shop made me a loop out of 1/4" steel solving the clearance problem and worked out perfectly.

      5. Removed the stock G-body radiator overflow canister and replaced with a Moroso Aluminum canister from Jeg's.

      6. Replaced both transmission cooling lines with #6 AN braided steel hoses.

      7. Purchased 2 front inner fender panels from Chicago Muscle cars, restored them and replaced the reproduction units. I had purchased earlier because they was brittle and shattered in use.

      8. Replaced the stock 83 Malibu instrument cluster with a panel out of an 1986 Monte Carlo SS which gave me a 115 MPH speedometer. Also replaced the instrument circuit board with a new NOS circuit board Also installed shift indicator for OD Transmission equipped cars.

      9. Installed a mew Sun Pro Tach with shift light on the A Pillar.

      10. Replaced both upper control arms.

      11. When you remove the front bumper and rear support braces as well as the LS aluminum engine you loose 250 to 300# off of the front end creating a suspension that is completely out of whack. To solve this problem I had the car professionally weighed by Rocket Chasis and the car weighed in at 3452 pound with a full tank of fuel. 883# pass front 939# driver front 819# pass rear 811# driver rear. With this info I was put in touch with Afco racing spring and a set of 900# 11" Street stock springs was installed along with Bell Tech S10 2" drop spindles and a new set of Bell tech shocks. After a front end alignment the car goes down the road straight with a decent level of ride.. Also a 1 1/4" sway bar and links was correctly installed.

      12. Replaced all 4 wheels with a set of Foose 18x7 Front and 18x9 on Rear. Mickey Thompson Drag Radials on the rear. an additional set of wheels and tires for rally use is in the plans.

      13. Tinted the windows with 20% tint.

      14. Installed a ZEX 150 HP wet nitrous system complete with pressure gauge, safely evacuation tube and a MSD timing twister to retard the timing when NOS is used.

      15. Installed the Abbott X Box for the speedometer and works perfectly.

      16. Also and definitely the most importantly is to thank all of the people that made this car possible.

      1. BULLDAWG MUSCLE CARS
      2. DINK LOVE at LOVE PAINT
      3. BILL CLARK
      4. SCOTT MILES
      5. STEVE STUTLER
      6. JEFF PLETCHER
      7. RANDY AMOS
      8. PAUL CARVELLI
      9. MARK SIMMS
      10. JEFFRO at COMPTON METAL'S

      This car is unbelievable handles like a slot car stops on a dime, unbelievable acceleration.

      Everything I dreamed it could be.
      Attached Images Attached Images              

    9. #149
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the update Tom! I'm glad to see that the Malibu is everything you wanted it to be. This project meant a lot to all of us here at Bulldawg, and we hope that you get many, many years of enjoyment out of it. You deserve it.

      BTW, I like the artwork on the ZEX bottle! Your way of saying the car is "the cat's ***" ?
      Joe Hinds

    10. #150
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      1,295
      Looking good.
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

    11. #151
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      I was getting ready for work this morning ,and got a phone call from West Virginia. I immediately had a bad feeling, and unfortunately that feeling was legitimate. Tom Gerrard, the owner of Grocery Getter and a great friend, passed away yesterday. He had been battling cancer for quite some time, refusing all treatment, and his last several months were spent planning his ultimate, and last, hot rod. It was a great honor to not only meet Tom, but to be chosen to transform his wagon from a nice custom to a true Pro Touring car. He was not feeling well enough to drive it on Power Tour, though he did his best to hide it, but fortunately he did get a chance to drive it to a car show in Charleston recently, and apparently really enjoyed it. I only got to know Tom for a short time, but he was a great man and a great friend, and he will be missed. A major project I am working on, but can't talk about at this point, is being dedicated to him. Rest in peace, Tom.
      Joe Hinds

    12. #152
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      ohio
      Posts
      1,135
      Country Flag: United States
      to bad he didnt get to enjoy it on power tour. sad news to hear..... but atleast he got to enjoy it the time he had.. prayers t his family
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

    13. #153
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      St. George, Utah
      Posts
      1,629
      Country Flag: United States
      That's too bad to hear, the loss of another hot rodder with great ideas and vision for his ride. At least you guys got it together in time enough for him to enjoy before passing. I hope it goes that way for all of us when our time is up. RIP Tom and prayers to his family.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

      SRD on Facebook

      79 Cutlass wagon build


    14. #154
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      My prayers to his family. Rest in peace Tom!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    15. #155
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Rustburg, Virginia
      Posts
      3,436
      Country Flag: United States
      Sorry to hear about Tom's passing, may he rest in peace.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454


    16. #156
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks guys. Tom's passing wasn't a surprise...he told me of his condition shortly before his car was trailered down to the shop...but it still hit me really hard. We put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this car to have it finished for Power Tour, and even after the last 100+ hour week in the shop, it was all worth it seeing Tom's reaction as we met up with him just outside the stadium in Nashville.

      I just got a call from the family, and it looks like Grocery Getter may be going up for sale. I should know more tomorrow, and will let you guys know. This would make someone a very sweet car.
      Joe Hinds

    17. #157
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Location
      CLARKSBURG,WV
      Posts
      3
      Tom enjoyed this car more then anyone could imagine....he lost many hours of sleep over this car..but i can tell you when he got finished with this car he was very proud of it.....he only drove it 4 times and every time was like the 1st....tom had the ability to personalize everything he touched, people didn't even have to see him with this car and knew it was his.....this car was his last hooray and boy did he do it up big!!! Thank you joe and your team for everything!!!

      Kissy

    18. #158
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by tom gerrard View Post
      Tom enjoyed this car more then anyone could imagine....he lost many hours of sleep over this car..but i can tell you when he got finished with this car he was very proud of it.....he only drove it 4 times and every time was like the 1st....tom had the ability to personalize everything he touched, people didn't even have to see him with this car and knew it was his.....this car was his last hooray and boy did he do it up big!!! Thank you joe and your team for everything!!!

      Kissy
      Thanks Kissy! Please let us know if there is anything we can do. I saw the eBay auction, and that the car didn't sell.

      BTw, I'm not sure if you saw this, but Tom's friend Mich (the guy from NY who bought his old Malibu) sent me a link to a video dedicated to Tom.

      http://youtu.be/ywagpW2sXHQ
      Joe Hinds

    19. #159
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Although Tom's passing was expected, it is still very unfortunate. I'm glad he got a chance to experience a ride in a hot rod built by someone that really cares about the cars he touches.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    20. #160
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Cartersville, GA
      Posts
      1,298
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm happy to announce that Project Grocery Getter has found a new home! No, I didn't buy it...though if I had thought that it would go so cheap, I would have! Its new owner is located in Florida, and he is very excited about the purchase. We had originally spoken about building another wagon similar to Grocery Getter, but he found that the original was still for sale, and made a deal! The wagon should be in its new home by the end of the week!
      Joe Hinds

    Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com