Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      362

      4L80E- where do I look?

      What vehicles would a 2 wheel drive 4L80E be in. I am looking into these transmissions and everything around here is a 4 wheel drive. I can get a 4WD one cheap but I guess it is a completely different deal and would not be feasable to change over. Any info is appreciated.



      Josh


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      2,314
      Country Flag: Canada
      Try 2500/3500 series pickups with 6.0L engines and 2500/3500 full size vans with 6.0L engines.
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      362

      4l80e

      what year did these come out?

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2004
      Location
      Roanoke, VA
      Posts
      515
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh
      what year did these come out?
      The 80E came out in the early 90s but if at all possible dont use one older than 96 if possible as the early units had some issues with cracked cases due to the design of the shift selonoids. Try to get the newest unit you can find/afford as GM updated the trans from the beginning and by 2k all the updates are already in the trans from the factory (theres a whole list of stuff that was updated in the late units but its really not important here so I'll spare you).

      When looking for an 80E look for 2500/3500/duall rear wheel trucks as those will have the 80E as well as big bock SUVs. Also look at GM motorhome chassis as well as delivery trucks like box trucks with dual rear wheels and lift gates but keep in mind that delivery trucks usually dont get treated with kid gloves either so unless the trans has low miles Id get it freshened just to be safe.

      FWIW, the 2wd and 4wd 80E are the same other than the output shaft and tail housing. If you cant find a 2wd 80E but can find 4wd units cheap then just pick up a 4wd unit and have a trans shop swap in a 2wd output shaft. The trans has to be torn down to do this but just to swap the output shaft shouldnt cost you an arm and a leg.

      HTH
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      362
      Thanks.
      Did all full size 4x4 pick ups come with these from 1994 up, or should I look for some identifying parts on the case? The one I am looking at is a 1995 or 1996 3/4 ton I believe.

      Josh

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2004
      Location
      Roanoke, VA
      Posts
      515
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh
      Thanks.
      Did all full size 4x4 pick ups come with these from 1994 up, or should I look for some identifying parts on the case? The one I am looking at is a 1995 or 1996 3/4 ton I believe.

      Josh
      If its a 3/4 ton (2500) it should have it but I would look at the pan to make sure or look in the glove box at the build codes for MT1. GM has been known to do some wacky stuff and they may have offered a "light" duty 3/4 ton or similar that came with a 4L60E for some odd ball reason (dont laugh they offered the 4.3 V6 in the big box trucks with the 80E and how odd is that?!?). If its got a big block or a diesel and is a 2500 Im 95% sure it has an 80E trans but like I said Id want to look at the trans pan to make sure or look at the option list in the glove box.

      If you can look at in person then the trans's are easily identified since the 700R4/4L60/4L60E all use the same square shaped pan while an 80E uses a sorta round/oval pan (looks like a TH400 pan on crack IMO).
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      1,364
      Country Flag: Canada
      Try the autowreckers in Omaha NE. I can't remember the name but thats where I picked up my complete 2003 6.0l 2wd 4l80e with 12k miles on it. Complete turn key for 2300.

      -Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com