Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bu-tox

Bu-tox

After looking through all the build threads over and over its time to share with you what I have been working on. This is a 1962 Buick Skylark, originally with the all aluminum V-8 engine, factory 4 barrel and 4 speed. It spent its life in california until my dad got his hands on it.
      Dad bought the car and Im building it for him, he had a 40 ford street rod, and sold that about 5 years ago, so I told him I would build him something to replace it.He named it BU-TOX. Not sure what people will think when he refers to it by that name, but who cares, its his car. I like it! I have been working on this car on and off for about 3 years, havent touched it in the past year or so, but I just brought it back in the shop last weekend and now its time to finish it.
      As you look over the pics, keep in mind that this project is being built on a budget. If you knew my dad you would know that it doesnt take much to make him happy, but I am doing the best I can to save him some money. He is now retired and moved down to Arkansas, so when this is done he will have plenty of good weather to enjoy this thing.
      These cars had a very odd firewall, so I had to do some chopping to get the ls engine in there. Dad didnt want a tire smoking machine, so the engine is completely stock..... for now.Its from a 98 camaro, and has the 4l60 behind it. The rear is a 9 inch

To get this car to lay low, and get a decent sized fuel tank under it, I had to raise the trunk floor up 8 inches. Also had to modify the driveshaft tunnel, and fab a new trans tunnel. the original trans tunnel was only about 6 inches tall.

The factory front frame was ditched and I fabbed up a new one with mustang II components. Relax guys, this is just going to be a cruizer, not a corner carver!

In order to get the car to lay low and get a decent sized fuel tank under it, I had to raise the trunk floor 8 inches. Also had to widen the inner wheel tubs, and raise them to get the rubber in there. The original trans tunnel was only about 6 inches tall, so I had to fab up a new one. The driveshaft tunnel also had to be raised.

Since so much space was lost in the trunk by raising the floor, I made a drop down section on each side of the car behind the rear wheels. pass. side gets the battery, air tank, compressor, and solenoid valves. Drivers side will just be for storage, unless dad can figure out something else he wants to tuck away.

After all the cutting and chopping was done, I put the car together, to run it down the road. Since it was the middle of winter, the test drive didnt las too long, since the car only had a windshield!

This is what happens when you start a car with a plastic bag over the air cleaner!

Heres Dad with His buick! Can you tell he's not much for pictures???

And finally, this is where I am at now. The body has its final coat of high build primer on, except for the hood and trunk lid. Most of the car is wired, I want to get it mostly assembled and running before the shiny stuff gets sprayed. Dad had my mom pick the colors, its hot hues from dupont, sinful cinnamon and champain fizz, a two-tone combo.

I ordered some latex backed carpet to use for the floor, with all the mods done a formed carpet will never work, so I am going to give it a try with the latex stuff. Plan on working on it this weekend.

Country Flag: United States
      That is nice. I like Skylarks and this one is pretty awesome. You know the car is low when you can prop on the roof of the car.
      Stephen

Very cool!!!! Nice fab work sir.

wow looks good! keep up good work!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Wow!!! Very nice ... Looking forward to seeing the finished product...
      Kurt G
      Las Vegas

love the colors very elegant
      john
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

this car is badass, i have been able to see it in person and the pics dont do the quality of fab justice.
      I just hope you get it done for the power tour, if ya need help mike let me know
      keep it up

Not much time to work on the car but have managed to sneak some time in here and there. Got the tranny cooler in, there is no room in front of the radiator so it now resides just in front of the fuel tank. Got a few more parts painted, a/c compressor, rad. shroud, rack, a/c dryer, and a few other things I cant remember.I welded an aluminum tank to the side of the radiator for the over flow tank, waiting on some an fittings for that. Most of the wiring for the engine is complete. I have been working on the a/c lines, trying to keep the use of rubber hose to a minimum so I am fabbing up some hard lines. The condensor I am using came out of a dodge mini van, it is a 2 piece unit. It is a tight fit up front but it all fits.
      before paint

Colors are great!

Thanks for the compliments guys, next week I am off work so I should get some work done on this thing. More pics to follow!

i love this car keep it up lets see it on the power tour next year

Power tour for sure next year. As soon as I get that chevelle done, the buick will be number 1 on the list!

let me know when you are blockin ill head up that way

pretty nice car.. your dad going to have problems getting in and out lol.. is he that tall or is the car that low
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Dad is 6'6", so yes, in and out will be a chore for him, I put in a remote for the air ride, so that will make it a little easier for him to be able to drop it after he is out of the car, and raise it before he gets in it.

thats cool. i bet he likes the car. it looks sick. cant wait to see some pics of it painted
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Great looking project !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

Country Flag: France
      Good job and your Mom got taste for colors, liking the lines of this car alot!
      1972 Nova " Hotwhilz Special"

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t&goto=newpost Under the knife!

Country Flag: Australia
      Neat car
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Well after sitting around in the shop patiently waiting to get finished, the time has come. Have been installing alot of the parts, and now it is running. Start up went ok, but I am getting a couple of dtc codes. A p0654c and a p0748. I decided to work on that later, after the paint. Also have trouble with the alternator, had a new one on and it wasnt charging. Got another new one, and same thing. Exciter wire has 12 volts, not sure whats going on. Will get to it later. Here are a few pics of car taken just before going in the booth for paint. Everything finished to 600, booth has been cleaned, just need to do some taping and see what happens. With a little luck it should look like something when finished!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com