Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 27
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      20

      68 charger checking in.

      Hey everyone,
      Name is XanTh, (almost) 21 year old engineering student from the usually sunny but currently cold southern California.
      This is my 68 charger I bought when I was 17. First project car and a never ending money pit haha. Ive managed about 90% percent of the work myself with the help of my dad and some awesome friends.
      Specs on the car: 440 with multipoint fuel injection, 727 transmission. ridetech/Airride suspension with the 4 link rear. Frame connectors and torque boxes, Hooker super comp ceramic coated headers with 3" exhaust, dynomax ultraflows, quick ratio steering gearbox, 8.75 with 3.55s and suregrip. Disc brakes at all 4. Wheels are 18x8/20x8.5.
      Still have a lot of little things to do but here are some pictures. Sorry I don't have too many good ones since it spends most of its time in various states disarray in the garage haha.


      When I found it:

      Recent:





      Also found two 70 challengers last year that were too good a deal to pass up so those are next in line. Ill post up the story and pictures of those in a bit.
      Ive been poking around and there's a ton of awesome rides and information here! I already have a list of ideas modifications Id like to make to my projects just from the few threads Ive looked at so far.
      Attached Images Attached Images          

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Location
      Atlanta GA
      Posts
      7,477
      wow thats a very nice Charger!

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,240
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey, welcome to the site! What school do you go to? I'm at CSULB. You'll have to check out some of the nearby PT events so you can meet some of the locals. Maybe we'll make a trip to Adam's Motorsports Park again sometime soon.
      Brett H.

      1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

      1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      WOW very nice man!!! looks great! welcome aboard! we need a build-thread with lots of progress pics here in the "project updates section"
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      20
      Thanks guys! Currently I'm at a local community college, planning to transfer next fall, assuming I can afford it lol. What are you studying at Long Beach Brett? Is there socal PT events often? Never been to a pro-touring specific show before.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      20
      Ive got ton's of build pics, definitely will start a thread for it.

      These are the challengers I mentioned above.
      Was on lunch from work driving down some random road for the hell of it after getting In n' Out () when I spotted what I thought was the b-pillar of an old mopar through some shrubs way off the side of the road. Naturally I flipped around and drove back and forth about 8 times to confirm this haha. Went back the next day with my video camera (its got the zoom) and snapped a shot.

      When I looked at it on my computer I realized there was the hood of an r/t challenger next to it. At that point I knew I had to track down the owner. Next day I knocked on the door of the closest house in the area and sure enough, the guy that answered said he was storing them for a friend and they were for sale. Told me to go check them out. This is what I saw.





      I called the owner up and made him an offer. He said he already had a guy that was interested but if he didn't come up with the money they were mine. Well sure enough, he called back and told me to get them the hell outta there. 16 hours of moving later and they were mine.
      When I met the owner I learned a pretty cool fact. The "convertible" was used in the movie natural born killers, and he gave me some paperwork on it. I use the term convertible loosely because the car WAS a real RT/SE LA plant car in sublime green before the movie people cut the top off and re-painted it. The other was picked up as a donor car but I hate seeing one savable car chopped for another so that's not going to happen. Both are 383 magnums and the hardtop was originally a Plum Crazy purple car with the gator grain roof.
      Got them both running within the next month. Cleaned them up a little and did a mini photo shoot with some friends for fun.





      Right now Ive been putting a lot of time into the hardtop, getting it to the point of being a daily driver. This is the car Ive got some serious long term plans for. I'm looking for a handling beast on a restricted budget. I went a little overboard on the charger so now Im aiming to build the challenger as strong of a performer as I can using 80 percent of what I got and the rest from deals I find at swap meets and junkyards. Should be fun!

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      Biloxi, Mississippi
      Posts
      66
      With all the hacking already done to the "convertible", I wonder if the novelty of it being a movie car would outweigh modding it up. You could make one awesome car show display out of it... Then again, Natural Born Killers wasn't a smash hit movie, so you've got the perfect starting point for a really wild custom convertible (motorized hardtop?).

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post

      oooh niiice!!! ..oh and also like the cars
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,240
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm a mechanical engineer. My last semester should be next fall.

      For a while, some folks were doing monthly canyon cruises. Then for a while in the summer, we went to Adam's Motorsports Park quite a few times. A couple of times we met at the weekly Cars and Coffee car meet in Irvine. Getting ready for RTTC interrupted that a bit, so I'm hoping we'll go again soon.

      Keep an eye out for SoCal track events too, even if just to spectate and hang out. Some guys are looking at Buttonwillow in early April while others might make a trip up to Del Mar for the Goodguys event.
      Brett H.

      1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

      1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Hills of Anaheim
      Posts
      273
      Very nice! I like both models.

      Matt - 1970 Chevelle

      www.street-demons.com


    11. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Burnaby, BC, Canada
      Posts
      1,388
      Nice Charger, and nice score on the Challengers.
      1969 CAMARO RS

      2002 LS1-T56 Dyno results: 452 rwhp, 425 rwtq
      Project pics of my '69
      Lateral-G Feature Page
      Camaro Performers Magazine Feature

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Kalamazoo, MI
      Posts
      144
      Nice! looks good!
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

      0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      233
      Love the Charger!
      Fernando
      1967 PT Camaro
      Project "N-XSS"
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=70712

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Torrance,CA
      Posts
      41
      I pretty much like everything you posted.

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Kansas City area
      Posts
      365
      nice stuff whats the story about the 08 on the door?
      Scott Shanks
      70 Challenger 6.1 Hemi 6-Speed

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      the dirty mitten
      Posts
      1,217
      Country Flag: United States
      Any more plans for the Charger or is it all about the Challengers now? Im excited to see another Charger on the board, I just came in from the garage after working on my 68 Charger
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      20
      If thats the same Silver Fox charger Ive been following your build on dodgecharger.com. Awesome work man! Right now Im working on finishing up some things under the dash so I can put the windshield in and seal it. At that point it will be a project I can drive on the streets. Future plans: Id like to tub the wheel wells, put in a full cage, fender braces...see how it does with that. I also really like to put a 5 speed in it. Theres a new one that just came out from "passion" I think?? Electric cut-outs just for fun too
      Im sure the more threads I read on here the longer my list will grow.

      As for the 08 on the doors (and the pirate flag on the roof), that was just a random idea that became a reality haha. Always liked black cars, but Ive seen a lot of black chargers. I was watching the dukes of hazzard movie one day (dont judge me lol) and I got to thinking, wouldnt it be cool to make the anti general lee. Started photoshopping and liked what I was seeing. Got a lot of crazy looks and questions when I rolled it out of the paint booth haha.

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jan 2002
      Location
      Italy
      Posts
      746
      Hey Man,

      welcome to the list! Nice cars and a very nice friend you have.

      good luck with the projects and keep us updated.
      Have Fun!
      André

      2009 Chrysler 300C Touring.
      3.0 liter V6 diesel, five speed auto, black with light grey leather.
      1968 Chevelle Coupe.
      355cid, Viper T56, Corvette C4 IRS (Dana 44) and Corvette C4 IFS with Porsche 6piston Brembo's.
      1980 Chevy Van (shortie G10).
      355cid, TH350, 8.5" 10bolt posi and Belltech spindles.
      2000 BMW 540i Wagon. (FOR SALE €7K)
      4.4 liter V8, six speed manual, lowered and with Bilstein B8's, silver with black leather.
      2001 Ford Focus Wagon.
      1.8 liter turbo diesel, and a whoppin 90HP.:bsjerk:
      1968 Benelli Motorella
      foldable 50c scooter to go in a car trunk.
      2x '90s Yamaha TZR 2stroke bikes.
      one 125cc one cylinder and one will be 350cc two cylinder.

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Long Beach, Ca
      Posts
      1,564
      Country Flag: United States
      Wowza, 3 Mopars? Awesome! Where abouts are you, looking at the terrain I would guess somewhere in the foothills?

      Us young guys should get together sometime.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      Biloxi, Mississippi
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by Nessumsar View Post
      Us young guys should get together sometime.
      Only if he brings his "friend" right? J/K!!! Or not...
      2011 Mustang GT 5.0 6-speed, 3.55 rear, and Brembo package

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com