Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

ATS Project 50/50

Alrighty Boys and Girls. The death threats have started to become less frequent over the weekend, and I feel I can now reward your understanding of my twisted humor with a short story and a ton of pics.

Those who are not aware of my (never-ending-never-finished) Project 50/50 Camaro- here is the cliff notes:

Sept 1999- Car is sent to Wayne Due's Chassis shop in Maryland, WA for a complete tube chassis build based on a C5 corvette.
      Mar 2002- chassis is completed and sent to Tustin, CA for carbon Fiber body kit prototyping.
      April 2003- car is rescued from crooked body kit shop and delivered to secondary garage for completion of body molds.
      Feb 2004- Car is again rescued from 2nd crooked body kit garage and trailed home. All bare steel is covered in rust, vehicle condition is poor.
      Feb 2004-October 2008- Car sits in garage under car cover. I try to forget about all the money & time lost on project and wince every time people bring up my failed car on the internet.
      Nov 2008- car is trailer to Ironworks in Bakersfield for some modifications to the sheetmetal and rollcage.

So there is the VERY condensed version. It could go on and on for almost 4 pages, some good humored times, some slit your wrist times, some kill everyone within a 3 mile radius times.

Rodger is one of the few people I trust for my personal projects. We met in 2006 and I just knew that this man had talent and determination. Seeing the work come out of his shop for the past 2 years and the numerous 2 hour phone calls we've had discussing our ideas, Rodger suggested I let him have a crack at the car.

He 'stole' it from my storage space during the week of the 08 SEMA show and took it back to Bakersfield. When it arrived the roll cage was promptly cut out of the vehicle. I'll show you why in a few posts....

Here is the car as it sat under the car cover for the past 4 years. All the brown is surface rust from being outside near the ocean for over a year.

Engine setback and firewall:

Rear transaxle cover, rear main roll cage hoop and floor:

Engine compartment with front down bars that don't clear the tires under full lock:

So it needs a slight re do in a few spots. No big deal. More to follow....

Tyler

The roll cage. It was built to standards not completely approved by any racing sanctioning body. One of the reasons for not passing tech would be this little gem:

Yes. That is indeed an entire Sharpie marker stuffed into the non-notched-grand-canyon-sized gap of the tube joint. That is just one of many slight blunders of fabrication that went into my $14K chassis and roll cage.
      Other fun facts include:

Inner frame too narrow to fit an actual exhaust system.
      Front down bars hit both front tires when turning.
      Frame rails made of 2x4 and 3x3 .120 wall metal (tank chassis)
      Front A pillar down tubes leave under 10 inches of room for 3 pedals
      Large gaps in joints of roll cage
      Sheetmetal doubled up in most places for strength (tank floor)
      Chassis could be built lighter and stronger with even lower ride height.

Here are more cool pics from the cage:

Don't worry about the MIG wire, it will add strength over time.

What?!? Seriously? Come the 'F' on....

How does this get the thumbs up to be shipped to a client?

Frame pics next...

Tyler

Tank frame by Wayne. None of you can tell me that Wayne didn't build it strong enough. He used some serious wall thickness on the frame rails and added beef like it was going out of style. The car was a bit over weight for my standards, so it got put on a diet.

The 50/50 Camaro before it goes onto the frame table for its new chassis:

Here is the M1A1 Abrams C5 chassis:

It had to be a bitch to cut that thing out in one piece. I'm surprised they were able to do so. If anyone would like it, make me an offer.

Rodger and his crew have done a tube chassis once before and took some lessons from them to create this new tube frame. This is the rear. The front will be very similar. I think he shed 50% of the cars weight just by making a new frame for it.

Tyler

So here is the money shot for me. I've never had a chance to put the HRE 542R wheels on the car before as I never purchased any tires. I plan to race this car so I figured get some tires that will do me right on the road courses.

I picked up some Michelin road race slicks from a former LeMans C5R Corvette to fir the 18x12 and 18x9.5 HRE wheels. Rodger mocked them up on the frame table now that the car is on it. Rocker to ground is 6.5 inches. Roof height will be about 47.5 inches from the ground.

That is all as of Today. Progress will be updated as I get pics from Rodger.

Tyler

Congrats Tyler!
      I sure you are in good hands now!
      Cant wait to watch this thing get built.
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

I always wondered what happened to this unicorn.

Very cool Tyler. Glad to hear you didn't give up. Whats the plans for the engine?
      Andrew Petty

are you joking about that roll cage? lol
      1973 C10,400sbc, Baer Brakes, 4 link,TOYO tires
      2010 Charger RT

That old chassis would be good for a salt car.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Holy cow! I thought this car was lost and probably underground with other forgotten projects. Also, who would have thought that you needed to supply a sample photo of how bars should fit on the cage they are building for you! Gosh! You know.. something like this! Haha

Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

I think video updates are in order...

Tyler with that sales pitch on the frame I'm sure people are beating down your door/inbox to buy it off you...
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Looking good Tyler! Woot!
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Cool! Glad to see you on back on the road to completion! Do you have an ETA to completion or just letting the chips fall?
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Nice to see it coming together finally. Don't make it "too" nice if you plan on racing it!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I thought you wanted it Able to survive a land mine hit?! There goes that idea.

Good to see you getting something done for yourself after everything you put into this hobby.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Tyler glad to see this back on track.... glad to see you building one for yourself

Tyler,

I almost had Wayne make me a frame also. Thank god that didn't happen! I found out about Rodger when I saw his truck build on Lat-G and since he was fairly close to me I figured I'd go up and check out what he was doing. In the course of about 5 minutes of talking to him I knew he was the the guy for the job. He's one of the few that can tread the fine line of new school/old school. This is what got my car up to his shop. I knew he would take it to a level I couldn't even imagine.

Be careful! Now that it's their you're going to find out what is truly possible! LOL!

Congratulations! I know you're in good hands!

The only thing that sucks about all this is now us Nova boys are gonna get shoved back into the shadows! DAMMIT!!!! LOL!

John
      '66 Chevy II - The "NEW" '69 Camaro!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17108

Lesson learned here: keep the stock subframe and throw on some ATS spindles (I hear they're pretty nice).

Congrats on the progress!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Should we merge the two 50/50 threads?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com