Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 30
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Posts
      3

      1972 Pro Touring Maverick.....I need your help!

      Hey there I am new to this forum and I have a 1972 Ford Maverick, I've done some searching on here and I am so glad to see plenty of others who are making their mavericks pro touring. The whole reason I joined this forum is to find out what would be the best route for me to follow in order to make this mav a pro-touring bad ass ride. Im 22 years old and this Maverick was my very first car that I bought when I was 15 and unfortunately it had an electrical fire on the inside that destroyed most of the interior. I've held on to this or quite a few years always telling myself that I would start fixing it up. Well I have finally found a little time to do so, even though I am working part-time as well as still going to school full-time. With that all being said I have also joined the ARMY National Guard as well and I am currently in the process of getting my Maverick lined up to be taken to a shop in Algonquin, IL to put this suspension on while I am away for Basic training and AIT. This is where I need your guys' opinions on what the best stuff to get would be or what things I need to really figure out in order to get the right parts for this project, also I will be trying to keep it around $6000 if possible? Is this possible? If I need more how much more possibly? I do know I am wanting a Maverick setup similar to the member GrabberGT, thats the stance I am looking for. Oh I almost forgot this Maverick is an automatic 302 v8 with a 8" REAREND bucket seats, grabber hood, an good ol drum brakes all around so I am also interested in converting to disc all around too. Again if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it very much Thanks alot

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Lawrenceville, Ga.
      Posts
      440
      Country Flag: United States
      $6000 isn't as much as you think it is. You do need to ditch that auto and get a 5spd. Autocross is way more fun with a manual trans.

      There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

      Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition


    3. #3
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Lehigh Valley Pa
      Posts
      1,269
      Welcome to the furom and thanx for serving our country.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      welcome aboard!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Long Beach, Ca
      Posts
      1,564
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome! $6k is plenty as long as your keep some perspective. Not knowing much about Ford specifics I would see if you can put some late model Cobra brakes on, maybe an Explorer rear end (will have disks already, and a posi if you find the right one), springs, sways, and wheels/tires. I just picked up a set of '03 Cobra replica wheels from americanmuscle.com for cheap. Springs and sway bars are cheap too, so that should leave you with a good sum to fix up the other bits. I have about $4500 into my car, so it is do-able.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Lawrenceville, Ga.
      Posts
      440
      Country Flag: United States
      Mustangs Unlimited is a good place to start http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ They have a lot of suspension and brake parts. And most will bolt on to your Maverick
      There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

      Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Posts
      3
      Awesome guys thanks so much for the info, I am tring to find some parts soon so I can get this shop to give me an estimate.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      you're pretty much screwed on rear suspension bu8t for the front..


      R&P kit
      http://www.rrs-online.com.au/rack&pinionproducts.php

      coil-over/tubular control arms...can get a kit with standard springs/shocks for about 900 less i think it was
      http://scandc.com/new/node/300

      another coil over kit
      http://www.rrs-online.com.au/frontcoilovers.php

      bigger diameter mustang swaybars will work from what i hear but, not sure how well they sit..
      maverick swaybars here7/8 front, 3/4 rear...reinforce the mounting area with extra metal
      http://www.p-s-t.com/pc-4001-113-for...k-1969-77.aspx


      for cheap rear discs onto youre ford 8in..junkyard hunt for 95ish explorer and jack the disc hardware
      cheap front would be off any spindle off mustangs/mustang II for 10.5 discs...or 75+ maverick/granada for bigger 11in front discs
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Roanoke (FortWorth) Texas
      Posts
      786
      A good protouring car doesnt have to cost a lot. You can stay with the stock front suspension and make a few mods. Think of what the old timers were doing before all the new guys with their front aftermarket subframes and tubular bits of this and that. Some easy mods for the front suspension are to go to a stiffer lowering spring from an early mustang, can box the lower control arms, stiffer sway bar. 7/8" fonr sway is common. (Anything larger will have to be custom.) And then, last but not least, do a Shelby upper control arm drop.

      Subframe connectors are a must!

      The rear suspension can use stiffer de-arched leafs and a sway bar. If you choose to go with lowering blocks you may consider a locating device like a panhard bar or watts link.

      The stance on my car took a lot to achieve. The wheel arches had to be radiused for the wider, lower stance.

      My car now has a TCP Coil-Over conversion kit and an RRS power Rack & Pinion with a 7/8" sway bar. The rear has been replaced with a TCI Torque Arm system for a Mustang. If you go this route, do the work yourself or find a friend who works for beer. Keeping the price down, as many will tell you, is largely determined by how much you can do yourself.

      Good luck. Feel free to hit me up for specifics.

      Also, if you havent found it yet, check out this msg board. ITs nothing but Mavericks. (and comets but they dont count. LOL)

      http://www.maverick.to/mmb/index.php
      Chris

      Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      i read up on youre torque arm suspension a while back...really interesting
      ps.. dont buy a 2.5 dual exhaust for a 65 stang...it wont clear section...needs cuttings/rebending to clear even with a mustang tank!

      looks like i'll have to sell this and go custom exhaust :-(
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Russellville KY
      Posts
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      you're pretty much screwed on rear suspension ...
      I have to disagree, the Maverick uses basically the same rear suspension as the Mustang. The 8" rear uses the same flange as the 9" and there a bunch of options for after-market brakes for the 8 and 9" rear and Mustangs.
      Street or Track LLC has a bunch of options for any budget. The Mustang, Maverick, Granada, Falcon, Torino, Cougar, etc. etc. use a lot of common or interchangeable parts. I have 76 Granada front Spindles and a 78 Lincoln Versailles 9" rear with disc brakes on my 67 Mustang. Pretty much bolt-in stuff. The spindles and front brakes are reproduced and the Versailles rear end are still out there for a couple hundred bucks. Try Shaun at Street or Track he is very helpful.
      http://www.streetortrack.com/
      this rear kit is $899
      http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-...-pr-24048.html
      or these brackets will allow use of 94 - 04 Cobra brakes on the 8" rear
      http://www.streetortrack.com/Cobra-r...-pr-24456.html
      there are a lot of after-market rear suspension kits available for early Mustangs that can be made to fit the Maverick. Total Control, air ride just to name a few. (although those kits won't be cheap).
      Like GrabberGT said, you can do a lot by going old school as well. I have ORP roller bearing parts on the front, lowered the UCA per the 65 Shelby R trick and added 5 leaf rear springs, sub-frame connectors, gas shocks, bigger antisway bars, poly bushings, etc. It may not out corner the best of the best but it is way better than original.
      link to ORP, John at ORP is also a great guy and will even help you fab up the parts yourself!
      http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/
      Last edited by TARAfied; 02-20-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added link
      Craig...Married to TARA, that makes me TARA-fied!

      67 Mustang Coupe. Not Pro but certainly Touring!

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Lawrenceville, Ga.
      Posts
      440
      Country Flag: United States
      There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

      Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      Quote Originally Posted by TARAfied View Post
      I have to disagree, the Maverick uses basically the same rear suspension as the Mustang. The 8" rear uses the same flange as the 9" and there a bunch of options for after-market brakes for the 8 and 9" rear and Mustangs.
      Street or Track LLC has a bunch of options for any budget. The Mustang, Maverick, Granada, Falcon, Torino, Cougar, etc. etc. use a lot of common or interchangeable parts. I have 76 Granada front Spindles and a 78 Lincoln Versailles 9" rear with disc brakes on my 67 Mustang. Pretty much bolt-in stuff. The spindles and front brakes are reproduced and the Versailles rear end are still out there for a couple hundred bucks. Try Shaun at Street or Track he is very helpful.
      http://www.streetortrack.com/
      this rear kit is $899
      http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-...-pr-24048.html
      or these brackets will allow use of 94 - 04 Cobra brakes on the 8" rear
      http://www.streetortrack.com/Cobra-r...-pr-24456.html
      there are a lot of after-market rear suspension kits available for early Mustangs that can be made to fit the Maverick. Total Control, air ride just to name a few. (although those kits won't be cheap).
      Like GrabberGT said, you can do a lot by going old school as well. I have ORP roller bearing parts on the front, lowered the UCA per the 65 Shelby R trick and added 5 leaf rear springs, sub-frame connectors, gas shocks, bigger antisway bars, poly bushings, etc. It may not out corner the best of the best but it is way better than original.
      link to ORP, John at ORP is also a great guy and will even help you fab up the parts yourself!
      http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/
      I was referring to rear suspension not brakes but thanks for the info.
      grabber gt modded a torque arm suspension from a maverick, he did alot of cuttings to narrow and reweldings...and i think redid a shock mount?

      onlything air ride has that might for for the rear of mav is putting air over leafs.
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Russellville KY
      Posts
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      I was referring to rear suspension not brakes but thanks for the info.
      grabber gt modded a torque arm suspension from a maverick, he did alot of cuttings to narrow and reweldings...and i think redid a shock mount?

      onlything air ride has that might for for the rear of mav is putting air over leafs.
      sorry 'bout that.
      air ride has a a 4 link set-up...
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...ar-system.html
      Craig...Married to TARA, that makes me TARA-fied!

      67 Mustang Coupe. Not Pro but certainly Touring!

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      san diego
      Posts
      5,101
      Country Flag: United States
      Check out my build thread, it will give you an idea what other options are out there. I did all the design and fabrication work on my custom suspension. Front and rear.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Roanoke (FortWorth) Texas
      Posts
      786
      Quote Originally Posted by TARAfied View Post
      sorry 'bout that.
      air ride has a a 4 link set-up...
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...ar-system.html
      This 4-link setup will not fit the Mav without hacking it and the car up first. The only thing bolt on would be the housing brackets. The trailing arms are even the wrong length.
      Chris

      Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Russellville KY
      Posts
      21
      thanks, bummer
      Craig...Married to TARA, that makes me TARA-fied!

      67 Mustang Coupe. Not Pro but certainly Touring!

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      the air over leafs from ridetech should work well though
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      san diego
      Posts
      5,101
      Country Flag: United States
      What about air under leafs. Instead of blocks how about an air bag. Then you could lower your car by filling the bag with air. I know there needs to be something to take side loads, but it would be something cool to look in to. Maybe that will be my next project.

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com