Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      4

      New 2 site / trying to make plans for future

      Greetings all,
      Dave here long time car guy and owner of many toys through the years. Like a lot of folks have a family and limited cash flow to work on the car, but trying to make plans for my 64 El Camino. Wife bought it for me years ago and has served as a daily driver for years. It has been retired (now that we have a garage for her to live in). I have had many different cars/trucks, but the El Camino is the one I plan on finishing. I will posy pics later as most are on my work PC.



      Basic mods to date:
      70 model Chevelle disc brakes (cause drums suck)
      9 inch ford rear end, boxed the trailing arms and added poly bushing to stiffen the rear end a bit.
      17X7 American racing billet wheels (all 4 corners)
      currently 96 model vortec 350 , had a 383 but daily driving required better gas mileage.
      turbo 350 trans with kit and a few other small changes


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      Auburn, CA
      Posts
      613
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome to the forum. You'll find a wealth of knowledge is a just the search tab away.

      Look forward to seeing the pics.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Greenwood, SC
      Posts
      2,314
      Quote Originally Posted by 64elcamino View Post
      It has been retired (now that we have a garage for her to live in).
      Wait, which one lives in the garage, the elky or your wife?

      Sounds like a nice car--what did you need help planning?

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      4
      Like most things in life plans change...
      I had always planned on doing a full tub rear and as radical of a motor as I could swing. but I have been watching the trends in cars swing more to a drivable ride. And I for one have always driven what I wrenched on. So I have really loved to see the trends go more toward the pro-touring direction. I have been reading threads here for a few weeks now and Love what I see. I have been taking tons of notes from the work I have seen on others forum posters here and trying to form a plan.

      So far the plan is to pull the body off the frame this winter and begin doing some frame mods. I have a few different Chevelles and the like on here I have used a template so far. I have a friend that is a welder and stock car racer that I have been working with and plans to help on that stage once the measurements are taken and the car is apart. The mods will be far from a full tubbed car and more based on the touring style chassis. Being that I have a limited budget (and friend owes me a few favors ) most these mods will be more work than cost.

      Main thing I could use for planning currently would be any recommendations that any one has for the early Chevelle / El Camino chassis that would help push the project to the next level (without a Nasa type budget)

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      welcome aboard!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      4

      Pics of the Elky

      this is from several years back when she was a daily driver.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      spokane
      Posts
      92
      Country Flag: United States

      Nice elky

      I personally like the low buck approach . There are some very talented builders on this forum . I have learned alot on here . But be wary when you go to do some mods there are also some who say it cant be done completely negative when you get those comments dont give up they just want you to spend your kids college fund . If its metal and you have a torch and welder anything is possible .
      Tim

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      899
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
      If its metal and you have a torch and welder anything is possible .
      Tim
      well said!

      There is a WHOLE LOT of knowledge on this board. With the help of members here I have found great deals, met great people and gotten AWESOME ideas for my project(s). Good luck with the Camino!
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

      My build Beast

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      So-Cal * Corona
      Posts
      81
      Welcome im sure you will appreciate this site !
      John
      71' Nova




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com