Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 21 to 32 of 32
    1. #21
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Posts
      18

      Strange Bedfellows.........

      Being I've spent a good part of my life working on and modifying transmissions I feel I can say this with some very good certainty. This new 6 speed is definitely based on or built in conjuction with Borg-Warner of Europe. All the elements of the B-W staples that you'll find in almost any year Mercedes/BMW and some Volvo's are all there. The dead giveaway's are the 3 bolt yoke, the torque converter backing plate, the base rail around the pan and most important is the limited view of the integral solenoid pack thats appears to be a separate and secondary valve body unto itself (closely macthing current B-W's). What does this all mean, well after owning transmission franchises for almost 17 years now before I went onto racing full time, less than 1% of my business was around any Borg-Warner units, they are a great design and they just take a beating. I would even venture to say that when it comes to this trans the days of shift kits and big servo's are done, other than racing clutches and high stall torque converters all performance enhancements would be made through programming. I cant wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with on a stand alone controller for this monster.

    2. #22
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Posts
      337
      Keep in mind that the 6L80 is a Clutch to Clutch transmission, and not a step gear free-wheeler like a 4L80E...It is FAR more difficult to calibrate, as you have to control the oncoming and offgoing clutches, and timing is critical. The 6L80 is smaller than 4L80, due to the C2C design, which results in smaller components, but does have a lot more solenoids for pressure control....I am fortunate enough to have spent alot of time with the 6L80 in a variety of applications, and it is awesome.....

    3. #23
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Do you have one--maybe--lying around that you were thinking about kicking to the curb?
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    4. #24
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Beaufort, SC
      Posts
      115
      is this the AAllison 6 speed? If it is, I believe it is a very large tranny (comparitively). My dad works at GM and was telling me about a truck they have there with the ALLISON AND HE SAID IT WAS SWEET.
      '72 Chevelle- 4 wheel 12" Discs, Konis, Hotchkis springs (shortened an extra coil up front), 17" Cragar Soft 8's with 245's in front and 275's in back. ---STILL IN PROGRESS---

    5. #25
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Posts
      337
      No, not Allison, this is pure GM Powertrain.....



      Steve, I have been trying to talk the powers that be into using my car as a testbed for aftermarket development...not much success...lol...


    6. #26
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      582
      Quote Originally Posted by BAD6SPD
      Keep in mind that the 6L80 is a Clutch to Clutch transmission, and not a step gear free-wheeler like a 4L80E...It is FAR more difficult to calibrate, as you have to control the oncoming and offgoing clutches, and timing is critical.

      I was afraid of that. I've been reading a lot about that in sae docs, a lot of the japanese autos went to them a number of years ago to reduce the size of their transaxles. Definitely more complicated from a controller standpoint

    7. #27
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      1,364
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      One could expect it to be larger. Otherwise the additional components must be made smaller (read: weaker) to fit. But you never know. This really is a whole new generation of transmission.
      Cripes, I'd hate to see how much bigger it is. The 4l80e was a tight fit and required enough tunnel mods!

      Its also going in the 06 Vette, Paddle shifter, with auto option.

      Heres a few pics of the Vettes paddle type shifter.






      http://v-series.com/home/content/view/21/31/

      -Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

    8. #28
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Posts
      337
      Again, the 6L80E is SMALLER than a 4L80E.....

    9. #29
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Peoria, IL
      Posts
      135
      I love these trannies. Any idea when they are going to start selling "crate" versions?

      David

    10. #30
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      They may not ever offer generic crate versions. The commputer logic in these transmissions is vehicle specific. So if you pull a perfectly good 6L80E transmission from an LS2 Corvette and put it behind an engine with different output and in a car with diffferent dimentsions, that vehicle specific computer could get confused and cause the transmission to fail.

      Until someone figures out how to make easy-to-use software that will calibrate the transmission to your application, don't hold your breath.

      Currently available aftermarket transmission controllers are only capable of processing a limited number of input and output variables. The PCS controller is the most sophisticated with user definable control over six basic output drivers including basic pwm, shift and accumulator solenoids. But the 6L80E is way more complex. If anyone can figure it out, these guys can.

      I'm not trying to bring you down. No one wants a 6L80E more than me. But I think it will be a long while.
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    11. #31
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Peoria, IL
      Posts
      135
      That is ok because I am sure it will be quite some time before I would be able to afford one ;) . When they do figure out the programing necessary to do crate versions and/or swaps (since I probably wouldn't be able to afford a crate version) I hope there will be a Shrifter for it :D .

      David

    12. #32
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Diognes56
      ....I hope there will be a Shrifter for it :D .
      David
      Me too. I don't see why not. The Shrifter is essentially a fancy electric switch, so it should work fine.
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com