Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 32
    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      Fontana, CA
      Posts
      4,960
      Country Flag: United States

      New GM 6 Speed Auto . . . 6L80E!!

      Has anyone seen anything on this? I am behind in my reading and just saw a blurb in the May'05 PHR/CHP/CC mag (can't remember which one). It said it was going to be intruduced in the Caddy STS-V and maybe in some trucks with a TQ capacity of about 520 lb/ft.
      This would be great, I could hold onto my 700r4 until I can get my hands on one.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Ain't she a beaut?



      http://www.automotivearticles.com/20...smission.shtml

      Here's more:
      The aggressive torque curve (of the Notrstar SC STS-V acceleration capable of placing it firmly in the under-5-second-club for 0-to-60 time. The refined shift feel is enabled by careful electronic calibration of both the engine and transmission. During shifts, power is instantaneously lowered, then ramped back up carefully to make gear changes virtually unnoticeable.
      The Northstar V-8 SC is mated to the all-new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission – the first use of GM’s new six-speed automatic. The 6L80 – the only transmission offered on the STS-V – is one of the most technologically advanced automatic transmissions in the industry, using clutch-to-clutch operation and an advanced integrated 32-bit transmission controller to deliver smooth and precise shifts.
      The 6L80 also incorporates a host of advanced driving enhancement features, including advanced Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) and Driver Shift Control (DSC). PAS lets the electronic transmission controller override the automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers, rapidly downshifting with the release of the torque converter clutch for smooth powering up when the throttle is reopened. Driver Shift Control allows the driver to sequentially shift gears manually via the gearshift lever.
      The STS-V has been tuned for performance on virtually every road condition and environment including GM’s all-new Milford Road Course facility and the Nordschleiffe (North Course) at Nürburgring.
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    3. #3
      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      Fontana, CA
      Posts
      4,960
      Country Flag: United States
      How long does it normally take the aftermarket to get this stuff?

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      Miami, Florida
      Posts
      1,639
      I would think that they wouldn’t even be close to affordable for quite a while as stand alone units. I'd like to be at the wrecking yard when they roll one in and score the tranny and electronics for peanuts. Hey a guy can fantasize right?
      Last edited by Jagarang; 05-13-2005 at 05:22 PM.
      Kevin.
      69 Firebird "Eternity"

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Actually, it is a fully modular unit suitable for a variety of worldwide applications, so GM Hydramatic will be pumping them out like.....well I can't think of a good analogy....They're gonna make a lot of em.
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      217
      Steve

      I want one with your shrifter on it!



    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks. Yeah, me too. In fact, I will build the entire 65 Riviera project around it--Northstar SC powerplant and all.
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      187
      Dang and I just scored a couple of 4L80E transmissions for my projects....now I am behind again....lol
      Turbos, 1700.00
      Hot Side, 1500.00
      Cold Side, 1,000.00
      Fuel System, 1,000.00
      The look on the face of whomever the passenger is when the tires break loose at o say 70 mph or so........priceless

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Anaheim Hills, CA
      Posts
      11,967
      Country Flag: United States
      I know things but I have been sworn to secrecy.. there is a post about what I am not allowed to say over at Digital Covette though..
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

      1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

      1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Sep 2003
      Location
      Tampa, Fl
      Posts
      274
      Brian
      '68 Chevy Stepside-Fatman, HTH, 8.8, Baer, Hydratech, LS1/T56. I know it's a truck but you gotta start somewhere and I need the challenge.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jun 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      11,320
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68LSS1

      That's been a rumor for a while now. Glad to see it's finally been confirmed. 6 speed paddle shifted auto

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Anaheim Hills, CA
      Posts
      11,967
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ralph LoGrasso
      That's been a rumor for a while now. Glad to see it's finally been confirmed. 6 speed paddle shifted auto
      I can't say anything cause I promised.. :(

      BUT..

      These people can.. and with pictures too!

      http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...threadid=35776
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

      1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

      1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jun 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      11,320
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
      I can't say anything cause I promised.. :(

      BUT..

      These people can.. and with pictures too!

      http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...threadid=35776
      WOOT. Very cool. I was thinking of doing a paddle shifted 6L80E in Fantom, instead of the 4L80. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Location
      Redwood City, CA
      Posts
      1,895,413,640
      Country Flag: United States
      Wow..... Time to start saving again.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

      ---------------------------------------

      Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      1,364
      Country Flag: Canada
      I don't know... Maybe its just me but I like a tranny that isn't busy all the time trying to find the right gear. 6 speed manual is a totally different story because when you mash it, its not searching for a gear where that manual, cripes.... rolling at 60km/h in 6th(while in driver) and you punch it or just speed up to pass someone your gonna go to 2nd or 3rd. To many changes for me.

      Edit: During shifts, power is instantaneously lowered, then ramped back up carefully to make gear changes virtually unnoticeable. uhhhh, cool torque management. Weak sauce. I'd delete that in a hurry.

      Ohwell, call me weird.

      -Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Newbury Park, CA
      Posts
      5,838
      Country Flag: United States
      The SC CST-V with a T-56 is superb. With me driving and two others aboard it flat out hauled the bacon on the 1/4 mile.

      The new trans? It's a joint Ford-GM project. Don't ask me how I know.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Jul 2002
      Location
      Muskegon, MI
      Posts
      4,494
      Now that would be awesome for my 67 Fastback project coming up within the next 5 years. Oh I mean my girlfriends 67 Fastback project.
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      NW Suburbs, Chicago
      Posts
      560
      isnt this new tranny suppose to be considerably larger than the 4L80E? which would mean probably some trans tunnel clearancing... but it would be one MEAN tranny to have...

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Posts
      98
      Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      The SC CST-V with a T-56 is superb. With me driving and two others aboard it flat out hauled the bacon on the 1/4 mile.

      The new trans? It's a joint Ford-GM project. Don't ask me how I know.
      I heard the joint Ford-GM rumor as well. But I'm getting way behind the curve here since my JL8 car still isn't done so I have no money to play around with any type of pro-touring car.
      69 Z28, original JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, TI, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 Camaro SS396 L78 Canadian car

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by MoeBawlz
      isnt this new tranny suppose to be considerably larger than the 4L80E? which would mean probably some trans tunnel clearancing... but it would be one MEAN tranny to have...
      One could expect it to be larger. Otherwise the additional components must be made smaller (read: weaker) to fit. But you never know. This really is a whole new generation of transmission.
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com