Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 108

    Threaded View

    1. #11
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Chattanooga, TN
      Posts
      137
      Country Flag: United States
      Been killing time again. This time to try and supply Fresh air to engine. This was one thing I really wanted to do.

      First thing I had to do was find a filter that would flow at least 600 CFM thru a 3.0" dia pipe. Since Filter Manufactures decided not to list CFM air flow of filters on their website, it was like pulling teeth to get CFM of filter out of them. Not a big fan of K&N, but finally got help trying to idenify ones that could flow min of 600 CFM and then see if any would fit.

      To see if the one that flowed the most CFM would fit, we made a simple cardboard mock-up of it to see if there was space to fit it and clear the headlight buckets when they were rotated to open.

      Next we made a trip to Lowes and picked up some elbows and straight 3.0" PVC pieces to see if there was space to fit the piping. There is a problem if using PCV because it's wall is a lot thicker than metal tubing with same 3.0" ID and bends have a larger radius. That caused us to do some unneeded trimming to fit it, Vs what we were able to do with metal tubing with tight U-Bends on end product.

      My hope is that I get an added benefit of two 3.0" tubes Vs one 4.0" dia tube, being that neither filter will ever have air being pulled through it at it's max CFM the engine needs. I'm hoping this helps with both air filtration and not pulling a lot of moisture in when driving in rain. To help keep moisture out, I also have K&N Dryfilter covers used on personal water craft air filters to cover them to help keep water out of engine.

      If I did not have breakaway hood hinges that allow quick removal and reinstallation of hood, I would not have persued this as Hood has to be removed to service the filters.


















    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com