Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brushed Bumper

Country Flag: United States

Brushed Bumper

A while ago I saw a pic of somebody that steel wool'd a bumper and it had a brushed alum look to it. I can't find that pic or anybody that knows what I'm talking about. Just want to do a little research as I might go this route. I have no idea how you could do this by hand and have it look even.
      rj

RJ Cilurso
      67 Camaro with a few things bolted to it
      12 Camaro with a few things bolted to it
      50 Chevy 5 window p/u with a few things unbolted
      USAF

I think it was a red nova or chevelle right? I remember seeing it also. Ask on Lateral-G also.

Here's one:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67674

"Brushed nickle bumpers chrome plated along with all trim and wheels"

nickel plated, brushed and then chromed to seal it all in. i planned on doing it, but i have decided to either paint or chrome again. none of the shops around knew what i was talking about, and id hate to get the brushed nickel perfect only to have them bump it or scratch it and then chrome over it.

maybe theres another way?
      Tim

The WidowMaker: Garage Built 70 Chevelle

Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels, MuscleRodz, Kore3 & SC&C

Build Thread Link

bead or media blast
      Do what's right,not what's easy
      69 Firebird
      71 Cuda
      98 Supra 6speed white APU
      98 Lexus GS400tt widebody

Elite Custom Body
      Stefan B.

I am looking to do this to my car as well as the window trim mirrors etc... Does anyone have any experience with this that could guide me in the right direction?
      Justin

69 Camaro in progress.

We do it to cars all the time, its a very simple process just have to find someone you like to do the work. its also very expensive but the end result is sick.

1. take your bumper and have all dents worked out
      2. copper plate the bumper and do normal stuff to get ready for next stage
      3. nickle plate the bumper and then you will have to brush the complete bumper in one direction so it all matches perfect
      4. take back to chrome shop and have them chrome and polish the bumper

This is what that will look like and like I said we have done a ton of parts this way

Chris Fesler

***drooling** thats exactly how I envisioned it coming out! Thanks for the guidance Fesler I can start sourcing out a chrome shop in my area now that I know the procedure. They look like the brushing was just cleared over but your telling me it has to actually be chromed and polished after its brushed. Great info there. Anyone care to explain the science beind why it requires copper plating and then nickel plating and then brushed to chrome to polish? Being an automotive painter and metal worker the science behind getting a certain appearance out of a metal fascinates me.
      Justin

69 Camaro in progress.

When you say "expensive", what do you mean? Ballpark it for me. $200, $500, $1000? I just want to get an idea because I plan to the brushed nickel thing too. Thanks

That chevelle really stuck in my head after I saw it at 09' SEMA specifically because of the bumpers! Most of those pictures don't even do it justice. They basically look like brushed aluminum in person!
      Justin Snow

a simpler way that I do on harleys all the time is to use a scotchbright pad with some thin oil like wd40, just be careful not to go all the way through the chrome. If you want perfection the prior methods might be better for a high end build....but it works for me.

I heard it's time intensive, and thus pretty expensive, to have the chrome shops try to mimic that process.

Love those Fesler bumpers - but because I'm planning a front end swap I might try the scotchbright method first and see how it works on the bumper I'm gonna throw out - anyone have pictures of the DIY method?

Quote Originally Posted by Fesler built View Post
      We do it to cars all the time, its a very simple process just have to find someone you like to do the work. its also very expensive but the end result is sick.

1. take your bumper and have all dents worked out
      2. copper plate the bumper and do normal stuff to get ready for next stage
      3. nickle plate the bumper and then you will have to brush the complete bumper in one direction so it all matches perfect
      4. take back to chrome shop and have them chrome and polish the bumper

This is what that will look like and like I said we have done a ton of parts this way

Chris, I saw these wheels on your camaro at Sema. What size were the wheels? Could you PM me a price in these wheels in a 19x12 and 18x9 w/the same finishes. Sorry for hijacking the thread but great pics.

Well while we are diggin up old ghosts, I tried and tried to do this by hand and it just wouldn't work. I'm fairly expereinced with the impossible, but I couldn't make it happen. Powdercoated them flat black.

Props to Fesler. That looks just ridiculously good.
      RJ Cilurso
      67 Camaro with a few things bolted to it
      12 Camaro with a few things bolted to it
      50 Chevy 5 window p/u with a few things unbolted
      USAF

the is a dull aluminum powder coat that gives a similar effect

doing my car that way

I talked to two chrome shops in the LA area that were familiar with the process. And it does sound labor intensive. Personally I will probably go with double nickel coat over copper and then just Scotchbrite it myself. It will oxidize yes, but I can touch it up. And it is more likely to match the many stainless trim pieces that I can simply Scotchbrite.

Gustave

Whats an approx price to do this to a bumper? 500? 2000?
      John S.

68 "Bloodline" Camaro in assembly...

Speedtech Sub, Alston G-Billet/Fab 9 rear, Ridetech coil overs, Moser axles, Fesler 19's, Lots of Anvil parts,Twin tubo LS3/T56, Carbon fiber manifold, and the list goes on and on..........

with the powdercoat it be like a 100 bucks or so

Country Flag: Mexico
      couldn't you just strip off the chrome then brush it and have it chrome powder coated on top of that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com