Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Plans to Pro-Tour 1969 Camaro RS Yenko Tribute

It's been a tough decision, but I am going ahead to pro-tour my 1969 Camaro RS Yenko Tribute into a pro-tour car. It's an excellent date coded non-numbers matching 427 L72 with L89 Winters heads, Winters intake, M-21, etc, and its good for shows (nearby) and keeping in the garage under a car cover.

The biggest issue I have with the Yenko tribute now is it's honestly not enjoyable to drive. The carb has overheated and stalled the car, the rearend and M21 make it really undriveable outside the city and its just not a good driver. I OK with adding octane boost and I just love the sound of the engine. I could keep it as is, and just show it periodically (with some concerns it will act up there or back), or maybe sell it to get most of the value back, but I am certain I'd regret it immediately since it is such a beautiful car with a fantastic top notch restoration and unbelievable paint and Yenko decals and badges. The RS headlights and endura front bumper are gorgeous.

Pro-tour plans are in place, with parts on order ! I am pumped to have a classic muscle car with quite original exterior and interior look, but under the hood and under the car Corvette based technology will make the car fun to drive and really enjoy.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      You won't regret it---I think it's a great choice--you will get to drive the car and really enjoy it----now, let's talk about the expenses you are going to incur---LOL

Doug

1969 Camaro RS Yenko Tribute

A couple of shots of car next to 2010 Camaro SS at show n'shine July 2009

Very nice car! Should make for a very cool project.
      PartTime
      Chris Hager

1969 Camaro RS Yenko Tribute, plans to pro-tour

A couple of other photos of the Yenko tribute, one with my 1995 Camaro Z28 1LE Players Challenge car, and the other with the 1LE and a 1969 Camaro RS SS (that I traded in).

Sounds cool. I always recomend to potential customers they buy a nice clean car in the color they like and mod it from there. Looking forward to updates.

Frank and others, thanks for the positive feedback. At one point I thought about selling the Yenko tribute, getting as much from my current investment, then finding another 1969 Camaro RS in Hugger orange, but it would likely need bodywork, interior upgrades, etc, etc, etc, which may not end up saving anything. So I'll keep all the original date coded parts (non-numbers matching), such that should I or a future owner want to re-restore it, it can be done. But the plan is to take this Yenko tribute car to the next level and really drive and enjoy it. It will be a hoot in any case!

Pro-Tour Parts List

Here's the parts list for the major items. Look OK?

GM LS3 6.2L, 430hp / 424 tq gm crate engine 9201992
      Keisler TKO600 6789fmtkit - 0.64od, 5 speed transmission kit
      Keisler kei-gm35423 - 11" x 1-1/8 x 26 spline pro tour clutch/pp set
      Keisler kei-cag-hwfit - complete hydraulic clutch actuator kit
      DSE dse-060401 - LS engine mount kit
      Accel dfi-66573 Engine Harness
      * dfi-76410 Mass Air Flow Meter
      * dfi 10367117 Accelerator Pedal Assembly
      * dfi 12581966 Oxygen Sensor
      * dfi 77046 - ecu assy. sealed, calibrated, comes w/comport
      Hooker hkr-2314 - LS headers, shorty, block huggers
      Vintage Air va-174014 - LS Front Runner Kit (Includes PS Pump)
      DSE 130501KIT - LS Aluminum Radiator Module
      DSE dse-080105 - 69 Camaro LS Stainless Fuel Tank
      Vintage Air va-961169 - 69 camaro w/o ac - gen 4 system
      DSE dse-122001 - 69 electric RS headlight kit
      DSE dse-031302 - Speed Kit 2 - SBC, LS, front suspension
      Unisteer uni-8010540-01 - 1st gen f-body rack & pinion kit
      DSE dse-041703 - quadra link rear suspension w/coil overs
      DSE dse-042203 - 67-9 Camaro Quadralink Rear Sway Bar Kit DSE dse-010101 - 67-9 gm f-body subframe connectors
      CPP cpp-1012rwbk-se-6869 - 68/9 gm-f-body rear disc kit w/e-brake

A few comments;
      * I am not doing the full DSE subframe. Short-sighted, or should be OK?
      * I am keeping the current wheels & tires at this point, so not mini-tubbing. Handling should be quite an improvement, say up to a 1995 Z28 level or so? Is this short-sighted?
      * The car has front discs, so with the new CPP rear discs should improve braking. No cross-drilled big discs, as will keep current Rally wheels. Should be OK?

GM LS3 6.2L, 430hp / 424 tq gm crate engine 9201992 We have other alternitives make more power, same money
      Keisler TKO600 6789fmtkit - 0.64od, 5 speed transmission kit
      Keisler kei-gm35423 - 11" x 1-1/8 x 26 spline pro tour clutch/pp set
      Keisler kei-cag-hwfit - complete hydraulic clutch actuator kit
      DSE dse-060401 - LS engine mount kit
      Accel dfi-66573 Engine Harness We are Accel Emic's, killer stuff, but you could save a ton with a GMPP Harness / ECM set up
      * dfi-76410 Mass Air Flow Meter
      * dfi 10367117 Accelerator Pedal Assembly
      * dfi 12581966 Oxygen Sensor
      * dfi 77046 - ecu assy. sealed, calibrated, comes w/comport
      Hooker hkr-2314 - LS headers, shorty, block huggers , Shorty headers will hurt horsepower, I would do Stainless Works Long Tubes
      Vintage Air va-174014 - LS Front Runner Kit (Includes PS Pump) We sell a lot of these, Excellent set up
      DSE 130501KIT - LS Aluminum Radiator Module We sell DSE, also have our own which are much less money and just as good
      DSE dse-080105 - 69 Camaro LS Stainless Fuel Tank Great tank, we sell them, but we have a sales on Ricks that is WAY cheaper right now.
      Vintage Air va-961169 - 69 camaro w/o ac - gen 4 system Nothing but the best
      DSE dse-122001 - 69 electric RS headlight kit Nothing but the best
      DSE dse-031302 - Speed Kit 2 - SBC, LS, front suspension Nothing but the best
      Unisteer uni-8010540-01 - 1st gen f-body rack & pinion kit We are unisteer dealers but I would rather use a 600 Steering gear
      DSE dse-041703 - quadra link rear suspension w/coil overs Nothing but the best
      DSE dse-042203 - 67-9 Camaro Quadralink Rear Sway Bar Kit awesome
      DSE dse-010101 - 67-9 gm f-body subframe connectors Nothing but the best
      CPP cpp-1012rwbk-se-6869 - 68/9 gm-f-body rear disc kit w/e-brake If your keeping you 15" wheels, this will be OK. But if you upsizinf wheels and tire, I would spend up on the brakes some since the rest of the car is so killer.

Frank, thanks for your feedback, and also the private message. I replied with a private message, but not sure if it was sent or not? Cheers & Happy 2010 New Year!

Got it.

Happy New year

well since you're cutting for the quadralink you may as well do the dse tubs while you're there i did and haven't regreted it for 1 min

Quote Originally Posted by z4me69 View Post
      well since you're cutting for the quadralink you may as well do the dse tubs while you're there i did and haven't regreted it for 1 min
      I was thinking the same thing... you're cutting the body and the frame up, might as well put some bigger meats under it while you're at it. I would also recommend just going with the SK3 instead of the SK2 and trying to part out the rest... or go ahead and buy their frame. I went with the SK3, and by the time I had the car torn apart, the frame sandblasted, all the SK stuff installed, and then powdercoated I was pretty close price wise with just buying their subframe... BUT their subframe wasn't out yet when I was doing all this and I don't have the skills to do it myself. Something to consider if you're going to be farming out the work; especially since you seem like you're not affraid to throw money at this thing. ;) You'll end up being able to put wider tires up front with their frame... which is good cause I'm sure you'll change your mind about the wheel / tire combo if for no other reason than peer pressure! LOL

Also, you may want to check on that LS engine mount kit from DSE, I believe if I'm not mistaken that it will only work with their subframe and not a modified stocker. I had this discussion with Kyle at RTTH this past year and that is what he told me... that's been several months ago though, so things might have changed. Frank and the guys at Prodigy are a GREAT resource when it comes to getting an LS engine in a first gen (and the entire build), so I'm sure they can help and the guys at DSE are great as well. Come to an event and meet everyone if you haven't already, you'll be even happier you're doing business with them.

Great move, by the way, on changing the car up. You'll be much more satisfied with a car you can enjoy (read: drive) than just look at.

Dan
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

I agree with some on, if your cutting into the underside right off the bat, do the mini tubs since your already there andevery thing needed to do it will be used for the other work there at that time. I think you will be very glad you did.
      LaMont Mulligan aka munster, leroy, mull, just don't call me late for dinner..

My car is Therapy. 69 - Firebird into Camaro wana be. Sheep in Wolves Clothing. DSE tubs, Air Rides Airbar Rear susp., CPP Tubular CA's w/Shockwaves, Unisteer Rack&Pinion, RS Hideaways, Polished calipers, drop spindles, 4wheel disc, Be Cool rad, 18" Coddingtons Junkyard Dogs w/12"wide mod on rears, BFG KDW's 335/30/18 & 245/40/18 fronts. 383 Stroker, Edelbrock Vic Jr Heads and Manifold, lunati cam solid Roller, Pro-Magnum Roller Rockers, Demon, MSD Dist, 6AL, Thorely Tri Y ceramic coated headers. Converted to 68 dash. Moser narrowed 12 bolt and fitted for Airbar.

Parts in, Flatdeck to Shop!

Time to get the machine into the shop for the work to begin. Springtime and clean streets are only 8 weeks away!

Thats a beautiful car and its an awesome project. Keep the updates coming.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Sat Feb 27, 2010 Progress

Great to see the progress. Took the advise of some of the Pro-Touring forum responses and the DSE mini-tubs went in. That way later on if, or when, I decide to put on bigger cross-drilled brakes and bigger wheels and tires the back will be ready to go. Not sure I'll need to change anything on the front? I've been looking at wheels for this possible future upgrade and so far the closest that fits my preference are Torque Thrust D's, ....to try to keep something of a Yenko tribute look. Any suggestions on wheels (and sizes and tires)? ......Cheers!
      1969 Camaro RS Yenko Tribute, pro-touring with LS3, Keisler TKO-600, DSE, Vintage Air gen IV & frontrunner, Unisteer, CPP rear discs

very nice car! nice progress!!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Looking great. Are you still planning to keep the rally wheels?

I think it'd look great with some of the 17" steel rally wheels available, to keep the Yenko look.

Progress to Satuday March 6, 2010

Great to see more progress, with L72 L89 427 coming out, DSE mini-tubs in; DSE Speed Kit 2 completed in the front; rear now ready for the DSE quadra-link to go in this week; and a shot of the Yenko tribute at this stage.
      1969 Camaro RS Yenko Tribute, pro-touring with LS3, Keisler TKO-600, DSE, Vintage Air gen IV & frontrunner, Unisteer, CPP rear discs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com