Results 1 to 20 of 530
Thread: Blue My Mind, 1972 Ford Maverick
Hybrid View
-
04-28-2013 #1
Lately I feel for every step forward I go at least one back, maybe even two!
I find it very funny how these Mavericks are put together. From one side to the other there really was no constancy in quality. When I last updated I had installed the skins and had already hung the drivers door back in place. Yesterday with the aid of my father I got the passenger door back on. What a mess. The driver door fell in place with beautiful gaps, while the passenger side needed plenty of massaging.
Here is the door hung in place....


Oh yeah, before I forget, here are a couple shots of the hinges with the new bushings and pins installed. The great thing here is that once everything is adjusted, I can just pull the pins and paint the doors, then slide the pins back on and have perfect alignment again with ease.


So I absolutely hate the door gaps, no way I can live with them. Too wide at the fender and way too much at the door/quarter/ rocker area.
Here is the door off the car again and the edges ground to bare metal.


Front door edge welded up for a better door to fender gap.

The bottom edge near the quarter actually needed a .25" added to the bottom! This will be welded solid, but here I rehung the door to check fit. I had the door on and off six times during this entire process.


Front door to fender edge all welded for a better gap.

This is the only welding that needs to be done, even with the panel bonder from 3M. Without doing this there is too much flex, or movement with the window frame.

So all this was one days work. I went to a car show today in my 32. I needed a change of scenery.
Glenn

Glenn
1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy Silverado
My last project....
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!
-





Reply With Quote



