Results 201 to 220 of 530
Thread: Blue My Mind, 1972 Ford Maverick
Threaded View
-
02-02-2013 #11
This weekend I decided it was time to see how the engine and transmission fit in the car. I know this may sound pretty basic, but when I was given the car it was missing the original set up. Add to that the fact that this car had a six shooter and now I am adding a 302 and an AOD. I want to mock it all up, figure out what holes need to be drilled and where so that when I prime the car next time I can take care of any bare metal areas then.
So here is where I started the day:

I uncovered the engine for the first time in quite a while.

The freshly rebuilt AOD:

Sliding the assembly into the car. This was much easier without the radiator support in the way. When I do it for the final time after paint it will not be anywhere near as easy.

It took a little while to get everything bolted in place. Non stock engine and trans, front cross member and trans crossmember meant that a few curses were in order for a little while. But eventually it all went together.
I will have to clearance the floor support right here above the trans.

I only slid in two bolts for now, but it fits.

And for the first time I have an engine and trans in the car! This was huge for me. I was so happy.


Checking for header clearance on the passenger side. Looks good here.

And on the driver side. Looks good here as well.

They fit. Although it looks like an ear on the transmission will need to be trimmed back for the exhaust to mount up cleanly.

I clamped the radiator support in place to check that and mounted the radiator to see how that fit everything as well.



Also checked for clearance to the master cylinder mount. Is there really room here for a booster? Doesn't look like it to me? Only 4.5" from the center of the large hole in the firewall to the valve cover.

I had wanted to mount to the hood and check for clearance above the fuel injection. I will not be able to run the spacer I have as the hood hits. Even without the spacer the top of the injection is close to the hood, but it does fit.
Look at all that wiring!

Final shot of the day. And I can honestly say I am really torn as to whether I am keeping the injection or selling it all with the harness and getting a carb and intake for it. I know the injection has nice drivability and runs great. But there is such a mess of wiring and "stuff" that needs to be under the hood. I really like clean and simple, and I don;t get that with the injection. Very torn right now. And I really need to decide before I drill any holes for the wiring and associated hardware. Decisions, decisions..........

Glenn

Glenn
1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy Silverado
My last project....
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!
-





Reply With Quote



