Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 20

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Ferndale, WA
      Posts
      766
      Country Flag: United States

      69 ALMS inspired Camaro

      Hey Everyone! Well I guess I'll introduce my new project. Its in the very early stages, and I say that b/c I'm in CA and the car is still back in NJ sitting behind my buddies barn. They were going to junk the car b/c its so bad and I said keep it and I'll take it. FOR FREE! So b/c its so bad I'm going to do something totally different then most. The car will be build with a removable body from the chassis. Full tube chassis with either an engine that is set back about 12" or we were thinking of doing a mid mounted engine with a trans axle. This is the first rendering from my buddy Mike Castiglione. So tell me what ya think and share you likes and dislikes. Engine will be 650hp LS2 . I took a lot of cues from the C6R and Porsche GT3 RS/Cup

      So I guess I'll elaborate on some ideas for the car. I want to make it as light as possible, Shooting for 2500lbs. My plan for the front suspension was to narrow the frame in the front and use either corvette control arms/ATS Spindles or build my own. By narrowing the front rails I can utilize a traditional style wheel without the positive offset common when using the corvette control arms. The car will be coke bottle drastically to make use of the largest tires available as well as widening the stance to help with the handling. Penske or Bilstein Coil overs, Full aluminum belly pans. Functional brake cooling ducts, Lexan windows except for front windshield, Rear diffuser, Gotta have leader lights( Just b/c I can)haha, The interior will prob. have an aluminum dash but will be styled after the Porsche gt cup cars, Halon Fire system, OMP seats and Wheel. ISIS wiring, Sweet column, Fiberglass doors, DPE LS-15 in matte black, I'll prob run a 6-spd dog box but would love a Quaife Sequential but money will be tight. Basically THINK No Frills, NO B/S Race car that will be street driven, and I want to make as parts as possible to save money

      Attached Images Attached Images  
      72 Chevelle Done!

      67' Hell Camino- Under the knife

      Some day: Porsche GT3/ C6R inspired 69


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jun 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      11,320
      Country Flag: United States
      Wow...sounds like an awesome project, and the rendering looks great! Definitely keep us updated during the build process with plenty of pics.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sydney, Australia
      Posts
      1,797
      Country Flag: Australia
      Wow, heck of an ambitious project...my best wishes for it.
      Guys I've seen here in Australia building GT40 replicas and similiar like to use ZF transaxles...nice and strong and get the engine back enough to clear your front seats etc.
      Perhaps consider firewalling behind the seats right to the roof, with the firewall to include new rear glass....then use either part of the old back glass area to mount an induction scoop system for the engine...or if you didn't want to seal off right to the roof then perhaps the side rear glass areas could convert to NACA style intakes for the induction, fed down and under the engine cover.
      Just a couple of thoughts that occured to me....
      Have fun.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Lehigh Valley Pa
      Posts
      1,269
      Welcome, this could be a wocked project. You say you are goin to make it a removable body car. Might I suggest using the steel body center section and then using fiberglass front and rear sections. Much like the old IMSA and Trans-Am cars. You would need a rear bulkhead. But that would make the center of the car much stronger. And it would separate you from the fuel cell and such.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      Huntington Beach, CA
      Posts
      624
      Chris,

      Digging the rendering and ideas!

      I have a set of DPE LS-15 in satin black with polished lip on my daily driver. I picked them up from John at DriverzInc and I am very happy with them and also the service from DriversInc! Great crew and would definitely buy from them again.

      If your Camaro is going to be raced, you should look at ForgeLine maybe instead. The 2 piece DPE LS-15 is fine for the street, but might not be the best choice for the track. Forgeline has a similar wheel. DriverzInc carries both wheels, so maybe John can give you a side by side comparison.

      On a side note, I like the color combo and rendering! I saw a factory white color earlier this year that blew me away. If I was doing my Camaro in white and was looking to do a street fighter look, I would definitely consider this color. The color was on the 2009 Mercedes Benz SL63 AMG IWC edition and it was called "Mango Cashmere". I have since seen pictures of the car online, but they don't come close to doing the color justice in real life. The color was nothing short of stunning IMO. Very understated, but it just looked mean. For the most part it was a metallic white with a matte/satin clear coat over top. The paint had depth and was a cool deviation from basic white. The AMG also had all of the carbon fiber treatment in satin also, the car just looked sick.

      http://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-s...white-hoi.html
      Last edited by vp23271; 09-22-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added link
      Rick
      -----------------------------
      " Better to Be Lucky than Good "

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      4,210
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by The Stickman View Post
      Welcome, this could be a wocked project. You say you are goin to make it a removable body car. Might I suggest using the steel body center section and then using fiberglass front and rear sections. Much like the old IMSA and Trans-Am cars. You would need a rear bulkhead. But that would make the center of the car much stronger. And it would separate you from the fuel cell and such.
      He's not trying to build a Fiero! J/K.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Lehigh Valley Pa
      Posts
      1,269
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyHuntimerRaceHome View Post
      He's not trying to build a Fiero! J/K.

      Very funny, although a mid-engined Camaro would be cool.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      4,210
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
      mount an induction scoop system for the engine...or if you didn't want to seal off right to the roof then perhaps the side rear glass areas could convert to NACA style intakes for the induction, fed down and under the engine cover.
      Just a couple of thoughts that occured to me....
      Have fun.
      I was thinking the same thing. The drip rail area in front of the sail panel (B-Pillar) is an area that catches a lot of air. If you could build some scoops right there...subtle or not...you could probably trap enough fresh air to force feed the engine. Or you can use the gills in front of the rear wheels to trap intake air and brake cooling air.

      Nice project. I'm kind of in the same boat as you with a newly found rusty body that may turn into something really fun. It's too far gone and not a highly optioned car for me to consider a restoration.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Corona, CA
      Posts
      1,948
      Country Flag: United States
      We can definitely lend you a hand with wheel selection, along with any other misc parts you may need. I'll send you a PM, and we can chat.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,240
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks like an awesome project. The leader lights would be a cool touch for sure.

      When choosing wheels, keep in mind that you can run the same BBS wheels (or design at least) that the actual GT cars do.









      and many GT2 and P2 cars run them as well:



      including wall-hitting Porsches:



      They're not all the exact same wheel design, but they're all mesh style wheels with a 7 split spoke pattern.
      Brett H.

      1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

      1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Location
      boerne texas
      Posts
      314

      rickk

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Southern Maryland
      Posts
      402
      Nice project, welcome.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      iceland
      Posts
      1,859
      Country Flag: Iceland

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Ferndale, WA
      Posts
      766
      Country Flag: United States
      Alright everyone, so here's the second rendering. Tell me ur likes or dislikes. We moved the vents into the hood and changed them up a little. We also exaggerated the coke bottle a little more. I'm not sure on this one. I also thought about doing a 2nd gen 3-pc spoiler on the car instead of whats there.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      72 Chevelle Done!

      67' Hell Camino- Under the knife

      Some day: Porsche GT3/ C6R inspired 69

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      823
      I like it!!
      Please post up pics of your progress!

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Lehigh Valley Pa
      Posts
      1,269
      I love it except for a few things. FIrst the vents on the lower front fenders. They shouldn't be there. If anything they should be behine the front wheels not in front. I would also make thefront spoiler flat like a splitter rather than the way it's shown.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com