Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Hubert, NC
      Posts
      5

      pre-LSX 79 Monte

      Hey

      I'm not much of a poster, more of a ghoster, and this looks like a wickedly good site with tons of info. I've been studying up on places like LS1tech.com and various gbody sites like maliburacing, but I'm always glad to find a new source. I'm about to graduate from Virginia Tech with a double major in management and finance, and I'm commissioning in the Marine Corps as a 2nd Lieutenant in about 4 days. I've had my 79 Monte since high school (so about 5 years haha) and I've always wanted it to be the sweetest daily driver possible. I've just bought a 5.7 LS1 and a 4L60E and I'm looking to swap it in soon. I've still got to get a handle on the mounts, hedders, fuel tank, lines, a/c, and all the other necessary peripherals, but I'm excited. I'm not looking for huge power gains, just a reliable daily driver with a clean look and the v-8 growl. Thanks for looking and I look forward to absorbing all this knowledge ya'll have to offer.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      iceland
      Posts
      1,859
      Country Flag: Iceland

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363
      Welcome! There is a vendor here that can help you with all that.. BHP I think? Good luck and keep us posted.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      nice man! I'm also planning to swap a LS1 in my monte - but with a T56
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Woodbine, MD
      Posts
      2,770
      Country Flag: United States
      you might want to look into montecarloss.com. There is a guy on there named John Bzdel...he is the guru when it comes to this swap. Hit him up.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

      "Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363

    7. #7
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Hubert, NC
      Posts
      5
      Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions gentlemen. I frequent montecarloss quite a bit for other mechanical issues but they favor the carbed setup. Maliburacing has some great Lsx swap info for g-bodys. As far as the top dollar BRP, I liked the convenience of their kit initially, and while I'm sure it's great quality, I hear the higher, forward fitment can cause problems. I'm thinking transdapt plates, an iceman crossmember, a cts-v pan, and then probably BRP midlengths for headers. Still working on the fuel system and the a/c; gotta do some more research on the corvette filter/reg and the kwikperf brackets. But I appreciate all the ideas-keep 'em coming. Thanks.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363
      What kind of problems with the higher, forward fitment have you heard of?

      You can get a tank from a 87 Monte 4.3 fuel injection setup.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Hubert, NC
      Posts
      5
      Hey Tony

      I've read others' opinions on BRP and for the cost involved, some people think you're better off going with your own set up. I believe it has to do with the mounting/clearing of the a/c (or other mods), the depth of the oil pan, lack of an "exact" fit with the crossmember, and other swap specific issues. If you check out the last post in the sticky "Known LSX swap combinations" by Malibu Jax, (he's got a 79 Malibu), you see that he specifically recommends NOT to go BRP. Also, these threads

      http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...63751&start=15

      http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...edelbrock.html

      http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...rtion-kit.html

      show some tinkerers' opinions. By no means am I saying it won't work or it's a bad kit; it's just that it seems adapter plates (I'm looking at transdapt PN#4592) are the more popular and less expensive option. Also, the grand caveat of LS1 swaps, "it depends on your headers/mounts/oil pan/accessories/etc," applies. I figure if I need to do some modifying, why not spend less to do so. Of course, I've yet to do the swap, so take everything I say with a grain of salt haha. And thanks for the tip on the tank; for the prices I've seen, buying brand new is pretty cost effective. Now I gotta figure out the internal pump and fuel lines. Take it easy.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363
      For the pump, Scot here is using one from a GN. Maybe he'll chime in. But I figure with that tank, at least its baffled and you can get it at Napa or O'Reillys.

      Yes the LSX/G-body swaps are still in the early stages... hopefully when I'm ready most the kinks will be worked out. Not that I'll be ready anytime soon... but its sounds like there are a few ways to get it done at least.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Hubert, NC
      Posts
      5
      Yeah I'll probably try to use the corvette filter and reg and do the one-line setup if I can. The baffled tank is a must if you plan to drive it hard at all haha.

      I've always admired your Monte since I first saw it in your "78-80 Monte picture thread" on gbodyforum.com. Knowing your acute attention to detail in regards to the rest of your very sweet ride, I know you'll do an excellent swap when you decide to take the plunge.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363
      Thanks... I'm just glad someone else is going for a LSX swap in a 3rd gen Monte. These cars are already, what a whole 3200 lbs from the factory? Getting one down to 3000 lbs and up to 450hp with an LSX combo should make for one bitchin ride. Good luck with it!

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Sesser, Il
      Posts
      490
      Craig from MalibuRacing also did an LSx swap into an 81 Malibu. 6 pages of info and I'm sure he'll answer any question you need answered. He's answered my email questions before, super nice guy. His website is shiftn6.com. see his write up on MR here: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73834

      Welcome to the site!
      Doug Gulley

      66 C10 383, AFR 190, Accel SuperRam, Hyd Roller 230*/236* 280XFI, aftermarket T56, *under construction*

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Jun 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      11,320
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome to pro-touring.com.

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by SicMonte View Post
      you might want to look into montecarloss.com. There is a guy on there named John Bzdel...he is the guru when it comes to this swap. Hit him up.
      As stated, john Bzdel put an LS1 in his 88 Monte SS, now it has an LS7.

      His engine bay:


      He documented everything down to the nats behind on this swap, & has it all on line, definetly a lot of ready, but good information in it if you take the time to look. Some parts he had custom made, like the motor mounts, oil pan, headers, & tranny crossmember, now there are places you can buy it, like BRP that has been mentioned. GM now makes an oil pan that works with the G body, I believe it is the pan for the Trail Blazer.

      John's information website:
      http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/

      Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      For the pump, Scot here is using one from a GN. Maybe he'll chime in. But I figure with that tank, at least its baffled and you can get it at Napa or O'Reillys.

      Yes the LSX/G-body swaps are still in the early stages... hopefully when I'm ready most the kinks will be worked out. Not that I'll be ready anytime soon... but its sounds like there are a few ways to get it done at least.
      I have an LT1 & T56 in my 86 SS & as Tony said you can use the fuel tank & sending unit from either a Grand National (I have that sending & pump unit in a stock tank) or any V6 Monte sending unit & tank & replace the pump with a high pressure pump. The fuel injected tanks have baffles that keep fuel near the pump when low so it doesn't go dry. I haven't switched tanks yet, but is on my "to do" list. John replaced all his fuel line with those from an injected Monte/Buick (can't remember) & it now runs on the driver's side, I just replaced the rubber sections with high pressure segments & all works fine.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      50

      Brp

      Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      NO,NO,NO,NO,NO I will tell anyone who will listen that BRP screwed me on my G-body LS1/4l60e swap. Check my build post and my know LS1 combo post. These guys sell kits that dont fit and dont call you back when you tell them they dont fit.

      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ghlight=malibu

      On another note welcome to the site and it is always good to see a fellow G-body owner doing this swap. Hit me up if you have questions.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363
      Malibu Jax, thanks for the correction and sorry you had to find out about them the hard way!

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      1,635
      Welcome to the site! Post some pics when you get a chance, we all love to see pics.






    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com