Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 5 of 5
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      San Jose, Ca.
      Posts
      34

      2nd thoughts on Baer brake system

      I have a 13" Track front system on order as part of the GP with Tyburn for my '70 Chevelle. My car currently has stock front discs and I've added rear discs from a '79 TransAm and a M/C from the same car, as well as a proportioning valve. After talking to both Baer and Tyburn, and being told what kit number I needed, I realized that the kit assumes I've got stock rear drums. So I call Baer and explain my concern, and Baer tells me that their M/C "will work fine with either drums or discs". I thought discs need less volume and more pressure than drums from the M/C. Am I stressing over nothing, or does it not matter?



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Posts
      61
      You might need to shtcan the combo valve and run an adjustable if the rear brakes seem comparitively strong... wont really know for sure until you try it. There are also calipers for the rear which are 2.125" instead of 2.5", which would make a big difference in balance, and may work well with 13" fronts of 40-45mm dual pistons and that combo valve. I dont know if the 3rdgen rear calipers are a bolt-on for the first-gen brackets, but they might be. If not, there is a company which makes 2.125" calipers which work on those brackets I think.
      Wish I had better advice, but it looks like you are your own guinnea pig ;)

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Dec 2002
      Location
      Lost Wages, Nevada
      Posts
      2,684
      Country Flag: United States
      I'll second that.........

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Harriman, Tennessee
      Posts
      1,310
      Country Flag: United States
      Try Stainless Steel Brakes. They make a rear caliper with parking brake (Force 10 Sport R1 Single-Piston Aluminum Caliper) that is a direct replacement for the '79 Trans Am rear calipers. It has the 2.125 piston with a nice aluminum housing. They are the calipers I will be using for the rear of the 442.

      http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/products/sportR1/

      By the way, know of a good source for slotted or drilled '79 T/A rear rotors?
      "You can never go home again, Oatman...


      But I guess you can shop there."

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      Central CA USA
      Posts
      6,114
      Country Flag: United States
      Your rear 2.5" calipers were made to match with a ft bore of 2 15/16".
      I used to have the bore sizes of the Baer kit but lost them due to a hard drive problem.
      I'd use an adjustable prop valve and try the baer 15/16" bore master cyl. If you can't dial back the rear pressure enough, you may have to convert to the later type rear calipers. They mount with just a flat quarter inch rear plate which is very simple to make or buy from several sources.

      The problem created by the rear calipers is fluid volume will be wasted, (lower pedal) but it's hard to say if it will be a big problem or a little one. Some guys have the Lincoln rear brakes which are over 3"! THAT causes problems for sure!
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com