Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 3 of 3

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2002
      Location
      Santee, CA
      Posts
      387
      Country Flag: United States

      Supercharger in 66 El Camino

      I've been thinking about putting a supercharger in my 1966 El Camino and was wondering if anyone knows if it will fit under the cowl hood. I know that several people have had look fitting the small 144 superchargers, but I'm running a 396 and am looking at the Weiand 174. Does anyone know if this will fit under the cowl hood without having to cut any metal? If so, any recommendations on where to purchase from or where to get a drop air cleaner?

      1966 El Camino
      396 Big Block
      Tremek TKO 5 Speed



      Thanks.....Eric


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      CHICAGO SUBURBS
      Posts
      761
      I'm not sure about the clearance, but one of the lowest drop bases I've found is an open element stock reproduction. I installed a 144 on a Camaro, it just clears a stock cowl hood.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Central Valley, CA
      Posts
      910
      Country Flag: United States
      A 174 on a 396 probably won't make much boost; they're pretty volume limited.

      On the other hand, you can fit a Procharger under the hood and make a LOT more power...
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com