Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 3 of 3

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Long Island, New York
      Posts
      2

      What's the best way to upgrade my 350

      I have a 76 pontiac 350 and don't know what to do with it. It is listed as having 180 hp stock, and I'm looking to get 350+ out of it without killing my budget. What's the best way to go about solving this problem?



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jul 2002
      Location
      Mesquite, TX
      Posts
      4,941
      Country Flag: United States
      I don't know anything specific about the Pontiacs; hopefully someone with some brand-specific knowledge will pipe up.

      However, it seems like the dismal performance of the late 70s was due to low compression, weak cam profiles, and poor flowing heads. In order to do much of anything with that engine, you're likely going to need to rebuild it anyway; if you go with better pistons and cam, you're off to a good start.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Middletown Ohio
      Posts
      22
      I have a stock 400 bored .030 over making 450 horses at the crank...

      I have a set of 72cc RPM edelbrocks that make my compression around 10.5.1 dynamic. I run the Extreme energy Comp cam with 240/246 duration @.050 and .507/.510" Lift.
      Stock rods and crank...Hyper pistons from Keith Black. The key is to Zero Deck the block, Pontiacs really wake up and the zero deck also makes the engines live without detonation with higher than normal compression. I am running 39 degree's total timing and 94 octane Sunoco Pump gas.

      I have a single Plane torquer II intake with a annular booster 775CFM holley style carb and MSD 6AL and Pro-Billet dist. I also have Comp roller rockers and thats about it...

      To do it again I would run forged pistons and a Performer RPM intake which is the big dual plane.

      On the 350 you need to make sure of what valve size will clear the bores....You can chamfer the bore to clear some...But still valve size will be critical. I am sure your 350 would be nasty with the same components.

      Bruce fulper and Car Craft built a 350 Pontiac with the same heads I have that on nitrous made well over 600+ horses with the stock crank and a set of CAT power rods....Which I happen to have a set of laying around.


    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com