Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      SW Wisconsin by Dubuque, IA
      Posts
      77

      1971 Chevelle twin turbo (pics)

      Here are some pics of my progress..







      Ron
      Stroked LQ4 (402ci), Twin 62-1 Turbos, Viper T56 M6, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.42's.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2001
      Location
      Wilton, CA. (Sacramento)
      Posts
      2,995
      Country Flag: United States
      Slick setup Ron. I also have a twin turbo 402 going in my 64 Chevelle. I don't have the tig skills at this point, so I'm using some Nelson Racing headers. He's re-doing the headers right now, should have them back in a week or two.

      Nice work.

      Jody

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      Beautiful is all I can say. Keep us posted.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      SK-Canada
      Posts
      111
      Looks good. What kind of fuel injection are you going to be using?
      -Evan
      1980 Chevy Malibu 4dr
      1978 Chevy c10
      2004 Suzuki SV650

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      El Dorado Hills, CA
      Posts
      789
      Country Flag: United States
      That's awesome!!!
      Brad
      68 Camaro - Procharged LQ4 coming - Currie 9" narrowed, bagged, lays frame, BMW projector HID's LED tails, 18"s, lexus center console, seat warmers, A/C... Mini-tubbing in progress!!

      07 BMW 750li -loaded

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Feb 2002
      Location
      Springfield, MO
      Posts
      4,470
      Country Flag: United States
      sweeeet!
      Jimmy

      69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

      http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69


    7. #7
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      13
      Great job! I like the unique area that you placed them. Very tidy look!

      Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69
      sweeeet!

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      SW Wisconsin by Dubuque, IA
      Posts
      77
      Quote Originally Posted by evan
      Looks good. What kind of fuel injection are you going to be using?
      Thanks! I will be running an Edelbrock Victor Jr EFI manifold with a FAST 4 bbl TB. It will all be tune on a friends of mine 901 Super Flow dyno using Big Stuff 3.

      Ron
      Stroked LQ4 (402ci), Twin 62-1 Turbos, Viper T56 M6, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.42's.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Central Valley, CA
      Posts
      910
      Country Flag: United States
      Ron,

      Have you considered going with an elbow and a monoblade TB?

      I've done a couple boosted cars and the monoblade/elbow setups have better mixture distrubution and throttle response than the 4-hole TB's. I'm doing another monoblade/elbow/Vic EFI right now actually on a Ford.

      The 4-holes work well on naturally aspirated cars and work pretty good on boosted applications but the elbow/monoblade setup really shines on a boosted engine.
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Aug 2001
      Location
      Wilton, CA. (Sacramento)
      Posts
      2,995
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Blown353
      Ron,

      Have you considered going with an elbow and a monoblade TB?

      I've done a couple boosted cars and the monoblade/elbow setups have better mixture distrubution and throttle response than the 4-hole TB's. I'm doing another monoblade/elbow/Vic EFI right now actually on a Ford.

      The 4-holes work well on naturally aspirated cars and work pretty good on boosted applications but the elbow/monoblade setup really shines on a boosted engine.
      exactly what happened when I went from 4 hole to monoblade, better throttle response and a much better look in my opinion.


    11. #11
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      SW Wisconsin by Dubuque, IA
      Posts
      77
      I guess I never gave it any thought. I thought people only used the elbow in Camaro/Firebirds due to the lack of hood clearance. I was gonna use a 1300cfm Fast TB. Would a 90mm flow as good with an albow? Who makes nice looking elbows??
      And what about the throttle braket? Can you buy them or does it come with the elbows? I do like your set-up Camcojb!

      Thanks - Ron
      Stroked LQ4 (402ci), Twin 62-1 Turbos, Viper T56 M6, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.42's.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Aug 2001
      Location
      Wilton, CA. (Sacramento)
      Posts
      2,995
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by TT402LS1
      I guess I never gave it any thought. I thought people only used the elbow in Camaro/Firebirds due to the lack of hood clearance. I was gonna use a 1300cfm Fast TB. Would a 90mm flow as good with an albow? Who makes nice looking elbows??
      And what about the throttle braket? Can you buy them or does it come with the elbows? I do like your set-up Camcojb!

      Thanks - Ron
      I made that bracket myself. You're kinda on your own for that.

      Jody

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      SW Wisconsin by Dubuque, IA
      Posts
      77
      Quote Originally Posted by camcojb
      I made that bracket myself. You're kinda on your own for that.

      Jody
      Very nice! If I decide to go that route, will you be interested in making another one??

      Ron
      Stroked LQ4 (402ci), Twin 62-1 Turbos, Viper T56 M6, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.42's.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      90
      ditto on the elbow/monoblade. Wilson/Accufab are a nice combination. Precsion also offers a nice elbow at a reasonable price.
      Dennis
      Moore Racecraft

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Posts
      2
      wow..that is beautiful.. a very clean set up. I have always been a big roots blower person, but I am starting to feel the lure of turbos.



    16. #16
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Central Valley, CA
      Posts
      910
      Country Flag: United States
      The Wilson cast elbow is nice and matches a cast intake very well. You can also do a sheetmetal elbow, that's what I'm using on the Ford I'm working on, but in all honesty I like the more "uniform" look of the Wilson cast piece on a cast single plane.

      The monoblades flow a LOT of air. Don't go too large though or things can get really touchy at low-rpm and off-idle unless you come up with a progressive cable cam. Barely opening a large monoblade results in a huge change in airflow and makes the engine really touchy just off idle. A smaller monoblade will be "softer" and easier to modulate at low RPM.

      If you are using 3" intake piping on your boost side (which is pretty standard) a 75mm monoblade will flow plenty as it is only 1.6mm smaller in ID than the 3" intake piping. Once at WOT the edge of the butterfly and cross-shaft presents only a minimal restriction and really isn't a concern. I run a 75mm on my car and throttle response is fantastic without being too touchy in the "off-idle" ranges.

      Being that you'll be feeding 402CI I'd suggest a 75 or 80mm TB. 90mm or bigger will be really touchy off-idle unless you have a progressive linkage that is biased to be very "lazy" in the lower throttle position areas and I don't think you'll see any difference in power with anything bigger than an 80mm. Now if you were running naturally aspirated with more cubes a bigger TB would certainly be worth a look, but that isn't the case here.
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Star,Idaho
      Posts
      122
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks great! Turbos are the way to go, especially on a heavy car. It sure works good on mine.
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      T70 Turbocharged 302 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      567
      check out Intakeelbows.com also. I am very happy with his work.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com