Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 20

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2
      Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      I would sell the 4 bolt to a local hot rodder or store it and get a 2 bolt main older style block with large pad under the alternator(mid early 70s) and then add on a set of splayed bolt main caps this setup WILL handle 1000+. A factory 4bolt even with lots of reinforcement in my honest opinion as an engine builder and tuneer around 700 to 800 and thats NA.
      The stresses created on a turbocharged engine is so quick in their rise they can and will split the blocks if not done right.
      If you are on the budget honsetly after all the machine work you can step up to a fresh World Products block and all you have to do on those is clean the thing finish bore/hone to size ,,, maybe set your deck height and your ready to assemble. considering how cheap Eagle has rotating assemblies you can get great parts a decnt price and if you dont beat on it too hard a stock GM crank properly preped will live under just about any use. I am lucky I have a local crank grinder that does lots of cranks the week of the NAtionals at Indy every year. just remember its better to spend more on your rods/pistons and then save for heads THEN get it running that to build it, blow it and then cry over not spending money. Dont gt me wrong I am not saying you need a 3000 dollar crank and titanium rods just dont skimp on the rods, Eagle, Crower, Oliver are some good names and use reputable pistons as some forged units are to fragile in turbo setups (or any boost for that matter )and can shatter. The rule is use a piston that can be set tighter (but still forged) clearances but allow for more heat.
      Good Luck and if you have any questions on machine work give me a shout.
      Lee Abel
      2 bolt mains with a stud kit is all I had with a blower and it was making 800hp with a toploader and I never had any problems car ran flat 10s. I think all you 4 bolter spladed billet main caps guys are doing a bit of overkill. Standard 4 bolt mains are plenty mate.






    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com