Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 27

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Greenville, IL
      Posts
      262
      Country Flag: United States
      Future state I plan on adding either light weight I-beam or tube arms. Current state is factory arms. One idea I had was to light them was by drilling 1” holes down the length of the center. Does anyone have an opinion on this????
      I don't know how well the i beam or tubr arms would work. The truckarms are built the way they are because they have to flex. I think if you use an I-beam or tube setup, it would cause some serious binding issues. I have seen somebody (think it was on this website) that used a set of tubular arms. Though the way they had them built, I don't think it necessarily saved much weight. From the research I have done, you can't run a truck-arm setup w/ arms that are torsionally rigid. Here is a link to a very good discussion on a tubular truck arm setup. There is a ton of info in this post. http://https://www.pro-touring.com/f...lar+truck+arms

      As far as drillin holes to lighten the arms, you might be able to do that. I would just me concerned about the strength afterwards.



      Just my thoughts,
      Joe


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      South Dakota
      Posts
      102
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by jmarti81
      I don't know how well the i beam or tubr arms would work. The truckarms are built the way they are because they have to flex. I think if you use an I-beam or tube setup, it would cause some serious binding issues. I have seen somebody (think it was on this website) that used a set of tubular arms. Though the way they had them built, I don't think it necessarily saved much weight. From the research I have done, you can't run a truck-arm setup w/ arms that are torsionally rigid. Here is a link to a very good discussion on a tubular truck arm setup. There is a ton of info in this post. http://https://www.pro-touring.com/f...lar+truck+arms

      As far as drillin holes to lighten the arms, you might be able to do that. I would just me concerned about the strength afterwards.

      Just my thoughts,
      Joe
      Thanks for the link.. and yur right, lots of good stuff. I have also talked to MetalWorks on the phone and they where very willing and helpful to talk with. It would be really nice to see a group of the hotest suspension builders get together and run a heads up competition.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com