Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 27

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Greenville, IL
      Posts
      262
      Country Flag: United States

      10 Year Update!!!!!!!!! LOTS of pictures.

      Well 10 years later, and unfortunately not a whole lot of progress. But since the website that I had linked in my first post isn't there anymore, I figured I could actually add some pics to this thread and update it while I was at it.

      Why 10 years and not much progress? "LIFE" happened!!!! As I had posted, I bought a house, got married, was unemployed for 5 months, then had to save money to build a shed to be able to work on it. That took almost 4 years to complete because I did not pay somebody to build it for me. I built it myself with the help of some family and friends. So then in that time frame we ended up having two kids ( thanks for the tip "Protournova") 19 months apart. Now that they are a little older, I am trying to get out and actually work on this. So when you throw two kids, a wife, home ownership, and doing some side work at home, you don't have much time to work on what you really want to.

      Now I have over 250 pictures I could share, but that is entirely too many to post all of them. Plus a lot are basically the same pic, just a little different angle. So if you have any questions for some different angles it is no problem. This will take several posts and probably several days to fully update, and the posts will probably be pretty long. So be patient on my update progress.

      Tear Down, these were taken February '05

      Name:  pics 095.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  124.5 KBName:  pics 090.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  113.9 KBName:  pics 093.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  114.7 KBName:  pics 100.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  119.1 KBName:  pics 117.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  115.2 KBName:  pics 003.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  123.5 KBName:  pics 005.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  124.1 KBName:  pics 006.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  122.9 KBName:  pics 008.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  125.4 KBName:  pics 009.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  122.4 KBName:  pics 012.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  125.2 KB

      I even got the "girlfriend" (wife now) to help!

      Name:  pics 089.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  123.2 KB


      Did a mini-tub on it. I cut the entire panel between the wheel wells out, and cut a 3" section out of the center. I did this because I wanted to keep the body bushing support there. It isn't actually a "body mount", but there is a bushing there. So I drilled out the spot welds as needed and cut around the center package tray brace. I cut the section out and welded the two pieces back together, then trim the floor as needed around the wheel wells for now narrower piece. Once it was all spot welded back in place, I cut filler pieces to fill in the gap in the wheel wells. Looking back on it now, I almost wish I would have went a little bit more, but I will fit as wide of a tire as I can in there now.

      Name:  pics 036.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  123.3 KBName:  pics 037.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  120.6 KBName:  pics 038.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  126.1 KBName:  pics 041.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  116.1 KBName:  pics 030.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  123.0 KBName:  pics 031.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  118.2 KBName:  pics 034.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  117.1 KBName:  pics 033.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  118.0 KBName:  pics 022.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  118.5 KBName:  pics 023.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  121.6 KBName:  pics 026.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  121.3 KBName:  pics 027.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  121.4 KBName:  pics 028.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  120.8 KB

      I also did some rust patch work on the trunk weatherstrip flange, and remove the spare tire well.

      Name:  pics 040.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  115.6 KBName:  pics 045.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  114.7 KBName:  pics 004.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  113.5 KBName:  pics 025.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  119.0 KBName:  pics 001.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  119.3 KBName:  pics 019.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  118.4 KBName:  pics 035.jpg
Views: 2919
Size:  113.3 KB

      Then, it was off to work, where I put it on the rotisserie and sand blasted and epoxied the entire body (inside and out).

      Name:  pics 205.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  117.7 KBName:  pics 206.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  115.6 KBName:  pics 207.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  116.6 KBName:  pics 208.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  119.6 KBName:  pics 209.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  109.0 KBName:  pics 210.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  107.3 KBName:  pics 050.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  118.0 KBName:  pics 051.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  109.5 KBName:  pics 053.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  110.2 KB

      While I had the body at work, I started on the frame. I had to build some sort of "flat surface" to build the frame on. I didn't have access to a frame bench, and hadn't really thought about building one at the time. So I had my Uncle bring his laser level over and we shimmed up some 4x4's, and screwed down some plywood. Seriously kind of redneck engineering, but it was all I had.

      Name:  pics 048.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  122.6 KBName:  pics 002.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  113.1 KBName:  pics 060.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  120.0 KB

      Then the "fun" began!!!
      I started by re-welding the factory seams on the frame.

      Name:  pics 061.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  115.9 KBName:  pics 062.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  114.3 KB

      Had to build jigs to hold the rear frame horns in place.



      Name:  pics 063.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  117.2 KBName:  pics 064.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  123.6 KB

      Then it was time to start cutting it apart.

      Name:  pics 065.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  119.1 KBName:  pics 066.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  121.5 KBName:  pics 067.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  123.1 KBName:  pics 068.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  119.4 KBName:  pics 069.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  119.6 KB

      I put the "old lady" to work cutting out backing plates with the plasma torch for the new frame rails. I wish I actually owned a plasma torch, it sure was nice to be able to bring the one home from work at the time.

      Name:  pics 070.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  127.5 KBName:  pics 071.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  125.7 KB

      New frame rails. I did "butt with backing" welds on all joints between the axles. As you can tell, I also plug welded the backing plates on either side of the joint.

      Name:  pics 074.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  118.7 KBName:  pics 075.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  117.4 KBName:  pics 085.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  122.4 KBName:  pics 086.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  119.1 KBName:  pics 087.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  118.1 KBName:  pics 088.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  116.3 KBName:  pics 101.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  115.8 KB

      Used more 1/8" plate to make the transition joint between the new rails, and the original ones. I think they turned out really good. Also put a sleeve in the outer rail for the #3 body mount under the door opening.

      Name:  pics 092.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  109.8 KBName:  pics 098.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  104.7 KBName:  pics 111.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  118.5 KBName:  pics 137.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  110.4 KBName:  pics 138.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  116.2 KBName:  pics 142.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  116.9 KBName:  pics 143.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  109.8 KBName:  pics 145.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  114.2 KBName:  pics 146.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  117.1 KB
      I will have to get some pictures of the actual finished transitions.

      Then to locate the truck arm cross-member. I had to reinstall the body to make sure I got the rear end positioned correctly. I had to cut the rear floor board out for clearance for the arms.

      Name:  pics 122.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  114.6 KBName:  pics 123.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  115.0 KBName:  pics 124.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  115.9 KBName:  pics 125.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  118.2 KBName:  pics 107.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  110.6 KBName:  pics 106.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  122.2 KBName:  pics 103.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  116.8 KBName:  pics 134.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  114.2 KBName:  pics 135.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  111.5 KBName:  pics 130.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  115.2 KBName:  pics 132.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  119.8 KB

      My help "hard at work"

      Name:  pics 133.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  116.0 KB

      She's going to "LOVE" me for posting that. Oh, well. I will continue to post as I can. The newest picture in this post is from December '05 so I still have a loooooonnng ways to go. I am actually curious what the "LIFE" gap will be on it.
      Joe Marti
      86 Monte Carlo SS build thread
      65 Mustang Coupe
      00 WS6 Trans Am (wife's car)
      15 Silverado LTZ 4x4





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com