Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread: 200R4-any good?
-
10-16-2004 #1
200R4-any good?
I was just offered a 200R4 out of an 86 Monte SS for a decent price. Are they any good or should I be looking for a 700?
-
10-16-2004 #2
Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2004
- Location
- Tacompton
- Posts
- 750
200r4
Depends what your putting it into. If you put it in a chevelle its basically the best way to go because you dont even have to shorten the driveshaft. Its also alot smaller and fits better in the tunnel. How much power are you making. I put a bow tie overdrive stage 2 built for up to 600 h.p 600 tq and put it in my 68 chevelle big block with 475 tq 465 hp. Its held up pretty good so far and is basically a very good trans and took about three days to put in and dial in. I say go for it and then just build it up if you need to.
10-16-2004 #3I'd be putting it in a 68 firebird behind a sbc or a pontiac. I'm just starting the drive train now. I haven't figured out what engine I'll use but it won't make more than 400 horse. The car is a convertible. I like the 200 because I'm told it will bolt to a pontiac or chev.
10-16-2004 #4
Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2004
- Location
- Tacompton
- Posts
- 750
200
Yes it will bolt right in. I was going to put one in my 68 camaro too but am going with a 5 speed or 6 speed. The tranny is alot lighter too and there are many parts for it. Its a common misconception that the 700 is alot better than the 200
10-17-2004 #5Any idea what kind of mods I need to make to put it in? I have a th350 in there now. Did you have a th400 in your chevelle first? The reason I ask is that you said you didn't even have to shorten your drive shaft.
10-17-2004 #6
Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2004
- Location
- Tacompton
- Posts
- 750
200
It had a 350 in it before. If you go to bow tie overdrive's web site and look at their 200's you can see all the mopds and what parts they used.
10-18-2004 #7
Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2004
- Posts
- 582
the monte ss, Buick GN, and hurst-olds got stronger versions of the 200-4r from the factory, so it should be okay behind a mild (and responsibly driven) small block
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/94038/
sounds like the driveshaft should be fine, and a 400 crossmember will get you very close to having it mounted. There are numerous companies selling bracketry to get a TV cable correctly mounted
My advice is to steer clear of Bow Tie as much as possible.
10-22-2004 #8thanks!
How do you define "mild" and how do you define "responsibly driven"? What should I do to make it stronger on a budget?
10-22-2004 #9
Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2004
- Posts
- 582
I would check out http://www.gnttype.org/ for the best advice on just exactly how much power they can handle. As for driving responsibly, I mean try to aviod doing 66's on an incline!



Reply With Quote



