Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Sep 2001
      Location
      Accord, NY
      Posts
      2,295
      Country Flag: United States

      Best method/tool to cut aluminum sheet

      I'm having trouble cutting .060 aluminum without distorting the edges. I want to make engine compartment panels. Appreciate and insights and recommendations! Thanks.

      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      Paradise, Ca
      Posts
      1,411
      Jigsaw with coarse wood blade, skillsaw with wood blade, table saw with wood blade, router with single flute cutter, plasma cutter.

      Just don't use any abrasives to cut aluminum.
      -Matt

      Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Sep 2001
      Location
      Accord, NY
      Posts
      2,295
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks. I'm using 6061-0 which seems very soft. Should I use T4 or T6 (or a different alloy)?
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      Paradise, Ca
      Posts
      1,411
      May I ask why you're using a zero temper? If you have to bend the stuff, 5052 or 3003 would be better, and you could use those in their half-hard state (H32) and still bend it easily, and both will work harden when you bend them.
      -Matt

      Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Sep 2001
      Location
      Accord, NY
      Posts
      2,295
      Country Flag: United States
      Ignorance, that's all. Went to the Aircraft Spruce catalog and ordered I'll look at these. Thanks, Matt.

      What other suppliers are available? really need some guideance on what to buy and where. Thanks again.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      Paradise, Ca
      Posts
      1,411
      Well, before you go ordering all kinds of sheet, the 5052 and 3003 are just alternatives. The 6061 T0 you have will work fine. Be aware, too, that if you mix alloys and you leave your panels unfinished (natural), they will look different.

      The only other online suppliers I use for metals is www.onlinemetals.com and McMaster-Carr. I don't have time right now to go look, but I think both of them carry sheet.

      Really, your best bet is a local metal supplier if you have one. Shipping sheet gets expensive.
      -Matt

      Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      10,604
      Country Flag: United States
      5052-H32 is what I used for nearly all my sheet aluminum. It cuts nicely with a bandsaw or a jigsaw.

      jp
      ​John Parsons

      UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

      UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Sep 2001
      Location
      Accord, NY
      Posts
      2,295
      Country Flag: United States
      What thickness, John? Thanks.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      Paradise, Ca
      Posts
      1,411
      I don't know what John used, but if these are just panels with no structural job at all, .032" works well.
      -Matt

      Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      10,604
      Country Flag: United States
      All my aluminum stuff is .060. A bit thin for welding (tends to warp), but seems just right for inner fenderwells, radiator core supports, etc.

      jp
      ​John Parsons

      UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

      UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com