Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 3 of 3
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Nov 2020
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      24

      Making the 11-14 S197 ABS work standalone

      Thanks to others pioneering, we have an alternative ABS swap from the common MK60. The 2011-2014 S197 ABS when paired with an RCM is able to operate as a standalone. Here's all the information that I have gathered to do this swap into my 1994 SN95. But I believe this can be done on any car. Hardest thing would be to figure out wheel speed sensors.


      First what makes the 2011-2014 S197 ABS better than earlier Mustang's.

      • 4 channel meaning each wheel has a dedicated brake line
      • uses acceleration data from the RCM to
      • has electronic brake distribution built in, to balance front and rear braking (no need for proportional valve)
      • uses active wheel speed sensors, which are faster and work down to slower speeds than passive
      • module is much lighter


      Parts list
      Name:  S197ABS_Parts.png
Views: 432
Size:  66.7 KB


      Mounting

      My car did not originally have ABS, so I am free to put it anywhere. Even though the module is quite light I wanted to keep it behind the front wheels for weigh distribution. There wasn't enough room to mount it in the engine bay. I decided to locate it in the drivers fender area where the cruise control servo motor would have been. The ABS module should be mounted upright so any air can be bled from the unit. Otherwise, what direction it is mounted I don't think matters. But I decided to mount it in similar orientation as factory. I also highly recommend running fender liners to keep rocks, water, and other debris from getting everywhere. Here is the mount I designed and had Send Cut Send make it. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

      Name:  PXL_20260228_222754527.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  178.7 KBName:  PXL_20260228_222823807.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  154.3 KB

      The RCM then needs to be mounted inside the car, preferably on the centerline and centrally located. I chose to mount it behind the park brake. I designed up a mounting plate that I also had Send Cut Send make and press in the studs. I then used scrap steel I had to level it and weld to the car.

      Name:  PXL_20260308_161820591.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  291.1 KB

      HCU fittings/Plumbing

      Item Number ABS 2011-2014 S197
      3 Front In 5/16" line, M14x1.5 inverted flare
      2 Rear In 1/4" line, M12x1.5 inverted flare
      4 Front Right Out 3/16" line, M10x1.5 inverted flare
      5 Front Left Out 3/16" line, M10x1.5 inverted flare
      6 Rear Right Out 3/16" line, M10x1.5 inverted flare
      7 Rear Left Out 3/16" line, M10x1.5 inverted flare

      Name:  ABS BRAKE LINES0.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  50.0 KB

      The main supply lines to the HCU are quite larger than what my car used. It would be near impossible to run hard lines from my master cylinder which had 3/16" lines to the 1/4" and 5/16" input lines on the S197 HCU. Also the pitch is weird being 1.5. I decided to use -4AN flexible line with adapters at each end. The caliper outputs are all 3/16" hard lines.


      Wiring/Pinout

      RCM

      Module Description Connector Pin Wire Color Circuit Notes
      RCM Run/Start C2041A 13 BU-OG CBP31 Ignition, 10A Fuse
      RCM HS CAN+ C2041B 10 WH-BU VDB04 needs termination resistor
      RCM HS CAN- C2041B 9 WH VSB05 needs termination resistor
      RCM Case Ground Grounds through mounting
      RCM RCS HS CAN+ C2041B 20 BU-WH VCA23 Connects straight to ABS
      RCM RCS HS CAN- C2041B 19 GN-OG VCA24 Connects straight to ABS


      ABS

      Module Description Connector Pin Wire Color Notes
      ABS Valves Power C135 25 YE-RD battery, 30A
      ABS Pump Power C135 1 VT-RD Battery, 40A
      ABS Run/Start C135 30 VT-BN Ignition, 5A
      ABS HCS CAN+ C135 8 BU-WH Connects straight to RCM
      ABS HCS CAN- C135 9 GN-OG Connects straight to RCM
      ABS HS CAN+ C135 5 WH-BU needs termination resistor
      ABS HS CAN- C135 4 WH needs termination resistor
      ABS Motor Gnd C135 13 BK-GN
      ABS Logic Gnd C135 38 BK-GN
      ABS Right Rear Speed SN High C135 11 WH-OG
      ABS Right Rear Speed SN Low C135 10 BN
      ABS Left Rear Speed SN High C135 36 BU-OG
      ABS Left Rear Speed SN Low C135 35 BN-GN
      ABS Right Front Speed SN High C135 3 GY-VT
      ABS Right Front Speed SN Low C135 4 VT
      ABS Left Front Speed SN High C135 27 VT-WH
      ABS Left Front Speed SN Low C135 28 YE


      Since I bought all the modules off the internet I didn't have the pigtails. Doing some research, I discovered that the ABS module is used in multiple different Fords of the era. I assume the RCM is as well. With the below list and some pictures, I went to the junkyard to see what I could find.

      2010-2014 Mustang
      2011-2014 F150
      2011-2016 F250
      2015-2017 Navigator
      2015-2017 Expedition


      I looked at an Expedition and a F-250. The Expedition had the same ABS but the RCM connectors looked different. The F-250 however matched up. I grabbed as much of the wiring as I could.

      Name:  PXL_20260214_211458866.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  440.0 KB

      In my car I was able to reuse all of the wiring inside the car (rear wheel speeds, ignition power). I then had to run all new wiring for everything else. To get from inside the car to fender area I ran wires through the bulkhead connector that is already there.


      For wheel speed sensors I bought new ones for a 2011-2014 Mustang and body side connectors from Ballenger Motorsports, pn: CONN-76049. For mounting the wheel speed sensors I did need to drill new holes at all four corners to orient the sensors correctly to read the stock SN95 tone wheels.



      Video that covers all this and gives better visuals:

      94 Mustang 5.0, CAM-T Build
      YouTube: RinerAutomotive

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Chesapeake, VA
      Posts
      678
      Nice, that's seriously scienced out. Nice work!
      Cars are meant to be driven.

      John B

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Nov 2021
      Posts
      1
      Thanks for sorting this out. I'd always thought the 2nd gen S197 Advance Trac ABS system would not work stand alone without communication to the PCM. I used the 1st gen from an 08 GT.



      B



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com