Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1967 Cougar Godzilla ZF 8HP70 swap

A book has many chapters, and one can argue that the Cougar story already has many chapters. Calling this chapter 2 doesn't seem fitting, as this is more like chapter 4, but whatever. Here is a link to the last few chapters:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...es-and-videos)

Every journey starts with the first step, and here is the first step of this journey:

This is a 2021 7.3L Godzilla from a wrecked F250 truck. The plan is to keep the shock towers and the current front suspension setup. Engine management will be handled by the Holley Dominator ECU which will be integrated with the TurboLamik TCU that will control the ZF 8HP transmission.

I don't know how quickly this project will move, given our move to Texas in the next 60 days, but it would be awesome to have it ready for the Holley Ford Fest in late September.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

This will be cool setup!!

Sidenote....Does Holley make a twin trottle body tunnel ram for a godzilla yet????
      LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      This will be cool setup!!

Sidenote....Does Holley make a twin trottle body tunnel ram for a godzilla yet????
      LOL
      Sadly, they do not, but I like the current sleek hood.

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

This is going to be amazing!! Lots of buzz words in your new thread title!!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Wow. Kudos for keeping the shock towers. Looking at doing the same swap later on. Looking forward to the build.
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      T70 Turbocharged 302 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

That's what I call an step up and to pull it off with the shock towers in place is going to be a test. When I decided to go with the TCI set up was to make life easier plus I needed to rebuild the frontend anyhow. Did you still want me to send you pictures of the DSE QUADRALINK rear suspension upper control arm attachment mounts

Very cool.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post
      That's what I call an step up and to pull it off with the shock towers in place is going to be a test. When I decided to go with the TCI set up was to make life easier plus I needed to rebuild the frontend anyhow. Did you still want me to send you pictures of the DSE QUADRALINK rear suspension upper control arm attachment mounts
      If you can, no rush...

I have been working with TurboLamik, for the last several month, on having full integration between the Holley EFI systems and the TurboLamik TCU. What this means is that the two will be connected with just 2 wires. This applies to the Holley Dominator and HP using V6 and also to Terminator X and X Max using V3. The Dominator and Terminator X Max are optimal because they have two CAN busses and DBW throttle.

The TCU needs information in order to make shifting decisions. Namely, it needs RPM, TPS, MAP, and torque output. Those are the basic channels that are a must, however, in order to make the transmission work optimally, the TCU needs to send messages back to the ECU.

The most critical is a signal to retard the timing during upshifts. This is commonly known as torque management and all modern transmissions implement this strategy, both for smooth shifting as well as transmission longevity. It can also be extremely helpful to retard the ignition during shifts to keep the tires from spinning during hard upshifts. With a very powerful engine, it can actually be pretty dangerous to upset the car during a full throttle upshift. This feature is now working between the TCU and the Holley ECU.

Another feature that goes along with torque management is throttle blipping on downshifts. This feature isn't strictly necessary, but it too will be available, although somewhat limited, because Holley...

The TCU will also send the following information: Gear, transmission temperature, speed, converter slip, and clutch slip. All of this information will be available to be displayed on any of the Holley digital dashes, not including the 3.5" handheld.

If there are any questions, please ask.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Nice work!

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Excellent! Adding a Holley ECU to my project now if it can speak back and forth to the Turbolamik. I do have a question, can any of the Holley ECUs that can speak to the Turbolamik also handle dual DBW throttle bodies?
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

The dominator can handle dual throttle bodies. Andrew has done it.

blipping on downshifts. This feature isn't strictly necessary, but it too will be available, although somewhat limited, because Holley...
      Limited how? Can the converter unlock during downshift to make the rev match less critical? Is this only an issue when using paddle or sequential style shifters?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Nice work!

Don
      Thanks Don. We are really looking forward to moving to Denton!

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Excellent! Adding a Holley ECU to my project now if it can speak back and forth to the Turbolamik. I do have a question, can any of the Holley ECUs that can speak to the Turbolamik also handle dual DBW throttle bodies?
      Yes, I used to have dual DBW throttle bodies on the Cougar when I built it 9 ears ago:

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

Limited how? Can the converter unlock during downshift to make the rev match less critical? Is this only an issue when using paddle or sequential style shifters?
      Holley limits DBW offset to +10% (no limits on negative offset). In talking with Lukas, he seemed to think that this was going to be enough.

You are asking excellent questions, but I do not have the exact answers, yet.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Sweet.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Very cool! Subbed for updates!

'70 Maverick. Prestige Motorsports 347, Tremec TKO600, Currie 9", 3:50 posi, RRS suspension

Or.............put the godzilla in the front of that ranger ;)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Progress is being made. Scored some Mast Motorsports CNC ported heads for the Godzilla.

Still exploring various options for the cam. If anyone has some recommendations, I am open to suggestions.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com