Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Upping my game with an LSA upgrade, looking for fueling advice

Hello everyone,
      I have a 1966 Malibu running a L79 E38 LS2 with L92 Heads, long tube 1 7/8" headman headers, 2.5" true dual exhaust with a 6L80E with Tap shift. been in the car for a few years and I am super pleased with the car.
      I have decided to add a little more power to the system. I am in process of adding BTR Phase 1 PDS Cam, LS7 lifters, New trays, BTR pushrods, new timing chain and new LS2 tensioner, new Melling's Hi Pressure oil pump, 850CC matched injectors. ATI balancer with 10% overdrive lower pully and a LSA with ZL1 lid.
      I have been running a deadhead Tanks Inc. fuel tank with a Walbro 255 in tank pump with a Corvette C6 fuel filter/regulator. I know I need more fueling for the added HP and I am looking for solutions using my present tanks Inc. tank.
      I have been looking at the vaporworks pwm controller and a bigger PWM compatible pump, but thought I would ask here and see what everybody has used with success and happiness. It is a deadhead system currently, but I am not opposed to a new line and a return style system if there are advantages to either system. (Simplicity, costs or other advantages/ disadvantages). Not cheeping out but would like to keep costs in line as I am WAY over budget.
      Looking in the neighborhood of 600 RWHP. Nothing crazy it is a street car and I am not looking for axle twisting, rearend busting, tranny trashing HP, just a super fun street car to play with. a few days a the track just to lay down some times for my own measure of how well my design and execution blend together.
      Name:  66malibu2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  529.0 KB

I used vaporworx controller and a ZL1 pump with good results. I think I’ve used 10 of those controllers. Always good results and great support from Carl.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Agree with Don on the ZL1 pump and Carl's Vaporwork controller. It's a great setup and works perfectly with my LSA setup. I bought a Ricks tank build and setup to run the ZL1 pump. Expensive setup in the end but I love it. The question would be if you have an older tank that cannot run the ZL1 pump and don't want to modify it or buy a new tank. As an example, is a Walbro 525 pump with a vaporworx controller the proper setup for an LSA or blower setup.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

So I can add some insight as I used to run the Tanks Inc setup with my LSA before switching to a Ricks Restomod tank with vaporworx and CTS-V pump.
      If keeping the existing tank, you can run the Walbro 525 which is commonly called the Hellcat pump. It will be a tight fit, so you will need to cut the tip of nipple off at the top where it connects to the hat. Also you will need to ditch the Corvette FPR and switch to an adjustable FPR with boost reference and an inline fuel filter. I tapped the lid in on the side and connected to the FPR for boost reference when I was using that setup. I just plugged it up when I changed to the returnless system with Vaporworx i changed the setup. For reference the parts were Magnafuel MP-9925-B and Fuelab 828 10micron filter. You will also need to run a return line back to the tank.

I would probably do your trunnions while you have everything apart, hit up BTR for the CHE or the BTR brand trunnion kit.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I would also look at the vaporworx controller.

Also, I don't think you are going to reach 600RWHP. I just installed a LSA on my LS3 with a Cam motion PDS stage 2 cam and I am around 600 at the crank with stock pulleys.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Just installed the CHE brass trunnion upgrade yesterday.

The guy who bought my stock LSA powered Camaro did a cam swap and pulleys. Got quite an improvement over stock.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Toddah View Post
      Just installed the CHE brass trunnion upgrade yesterday.
      Nice... Definitely cheap insurance since you're doing everything else.

Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness