Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: '70 Maverick

'70 Maverick

Evening everyone! Jut starting a thread for our newly acquired '70 Maverick. Car is a couple years old and is a rotisserie build by Fat Daddy's Garage in Texarkana, Tx. It's a great build but I have plans to make some changes to update the build. It all started as a super clean and rust free '70 6 cylinder.

Name:  212582450_2979327805637330_2451913866232751706_n.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  291.6 KB

The car is powered by a Prestige Motorsports 425/425 aluminum headed 347 stroker. Trans is a Tremec TKO 600. Rear is a Currie built 9" posi with 3:50 gears and Wilwood brakes and master.

Name:  IMG_5778b.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  639.4 KB

Suspension is all from RRS out of Australia. It is a strut front with center steer rack and RRS stage 2 brakes. Rear is the RRS 3 link with torque arm and QA1 Coil overs.

Name:  IMG_5665.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  612.9 KB Name:  IMG_5711.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  429.1 KB

The Mumford link on the rear was not oriented correctly when we got the car. I've corrected that now. I had to cut the tail pipes off to get the arms in the proper configuration. No issue as I'll be changed the exhuast any way.

Name:  IMG_5765.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  456.8 KB

Interior is built around a pair of ProCar Elite lumbar black leather buckets. The remaining interior was redone in black leather to match. Heat and A/C is Vintage air. Pioneer and Skar stereo equipment provides the sounds.

Name:  IMG_5772b.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  472.7 KB

Paint and body is very nice. Color is Chrysler Blue Streak Pearl. Not much to do here other than a fresh polish and ceramic coat. Wheels are Boyd's J5R's. 17x7 fronts and 17x9 rears. Tires are Nitto N555 G2's. 225/45's on the front and 245/45's on the rear. We'll be tinting the windows and color matching the black Grabber hood scoops.

Name:  IMG_5651.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  480.8 KB Name:  IMG_5637.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  390.2 KB

Car was not running when we bought it. Turns out the issue is dead injector drivers in the sniper. I'll be replacing the OG Sniper with a Sniper 2 in the next couple days and my tuner will be here next week to get a tune in it. I'll post more as we go.

Country Flag: United States
      Nice Maverick!

Really sharp, love the color. Lots of good parts in there.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by 813Demon340 View Post
      Nice Maverick!
      Thank you! We feel very blessed to be able to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      Really sharp, love the color. Lots of good parts in there.
      Thanks! I have the file from the shop that did the work. The parts list is pretty impressive even past what I've posted. It should be an amazing driver. Swapping to the Sniper2 today. Fingers crossed that all is well in the motor.

Very nice! I'm always excited to see other mavericks. Any plans for future upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by TitanFox View Post
      Very nice! I'm always excited to see other mavericks. Any plans for future upgrades?
      Thanks! Not a very long list of changes but a few on the way. I can never leave anything alone. lol...

Spent some time on the undercarriage. Mostly cosmetic. Touch up painting and detailing. Much happier with this now.

Name:  IMG_5797.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  357.5 KB

To complete the story of this car, the previous owner swapped a home spun 347 to the Prestige Motorsports built 347 that's in it now after the build was complete. He then had a Holley Sniper installed after that. Unsure of the exact circumstances but the ECU got fried on the Sniper. The car was not running when we purchased it. Quick diag showed there was no tune in the system. Once a tune was added as soon as it was key on all 4 injectors were firing at 100%. Yikes! I ordered a new Sniper2 and installed yesterday. Runs well now. Will get a pro tune in it next week. Glad to finally hear the engine.

Click the pic for the video.

Cool build! If I can help with the Sniper 2 tuning, please get in touch with me. I've done several Sniper 2 tunes now and countless Snipers.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Cool build! If I can help with the Sniper 2 tuning, please get in touch with me. I've done several Sniper 2 tunes now and countless Snipers.

Andrew
      Thank you! I subbed your channel. As excited as I was yesterday, today was a disappointment. Cold in my shop this morning. Car would not start. I'm waiting on the Sniper2 can cable. Local tuner is going to come when I get the cable. Appears to me that the prime shot is way too much. I'll mess with it more tomorrow. I keep looking at the Brawler 650 that came on it from Prestige. Wishing I had just went to that right now. Hopefully some tuning will change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
      I see a lot of YouTube videos complaining about these things. If I had to guess I'd say there are too many people out there who think they can just bolt it on and have a perfect tune without doing anything. In the real world carburetors aren't that perfect out of the box, either.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      I see a lot of YouTube videos complaining about these things. If I had to guess I'd say there are too many people out there who think they can just bolt it on and have a perfect tune without doing anything. In the real world carburetors aren't that perfect out of the box, either.
      Seems Holley has addressed quite a bit of the common issues with the original Sniper with the 2. Most importantly the RFI problems with the original ECU. We will see how it goes. Have a local pro tuner coming later in the week to put a tune in it.

You know cars amaze me. Perhaps I should say owners or people that have worked on them previously amaze me. Seems like stuff like this exists on every car I buy. The fan was wired to be key on. Obviously I don't want that. On today's list was to get the Sniper fan control set up. Previous investigation found a relay under the right fender at the firewall that was controlling the fan, or so I thought. Turns out that relay was powering yet another relay that was powering the fan. Why you say? I have no clue. The Maverick has hidden wiring. Cool to look at. Pain in the butt to work on. I pulled the harnesses out of the looms to more things that make my eye twitch. Yellow wire coming from the front spliced with pink wire part way back to the redundant relay. Green wire spliced with blue wire. Blue wire spliced with green wire. lol...

Anyway, 1 relay for the fan wired correctly now with the sniper controlling the fan and all of this chopped out.

Name:  IMG_5841.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  290.5 KB

Spent a stupid amount of time reworking wiring at the battery. Whoever had a mess going with the ultra cheap replacement style terminals and way too many things piled up on them.

Name:  junk2.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  829.9 KB

Shaking my head on that. Still waiting on the billet battery hold down to arrive from Summit but my OCD likes this much better.

Name:  IMG_5837.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  312.9 KB

Car has had a terrible belt squeal ever since I got it running. Literally had a ton of belt dressing sprayed all over everything. Huge mess. Spent a couple hours with a ultra fine scotchbirite pad and lacquer thinner cleaning the gunk off the CVF billet stuff. Repolishing everything afterward. Get ready to put it together and only then do I see that it has the wrong crank pulley on it and nothing lines up right. The 347 in it now has an aftermarket balancer. The previous one, which I also got with the car, has a stock balancer. SMH again. I have a serpentine conversion kit from CVF for my other car so I'll be putting that on the Maverick now.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

'70 Maverick

The CVF kits w/ tensioner are one of the few aftermarket serpentine kits that has tensioner and it is in the right location. Unfortunately my car has too many one off systems and I just have to make my own stuff. Besides, it is a Mopar and hardly anyone makes modern aftermarket parts for them.
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

Looks like a pretty sweet Maverick! Should be a fun car, I’m a little partial to them myself.

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
      Looks like a pretty sweet Maverick! Should be a fun car, I’m a little partial to them myself.
      Thanks! Looks like you got a serious Maverick game going on!

Continuing on with a ton on detailing, polishing and changes in the engine compartment. I swapped to the CVF serpentine belt pulleys. Added a bunch more stainless bolts with billet washers. Polished stainless puke tank and the very trick billet battery tray from Summit that is designed just for the optima batteries. Traded a smooth top polished air cleaner for the ribbed top one. Pulled the grille and repainted the black. Bunch more rewiring and new loom. Finally had a buddy come by so I could get the hood back on. Still a few things to change/do but overall I'm liking it!

Name:  IMG_5879.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  658.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5881.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  650.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5882.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  630.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5866.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  462.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5883.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  644.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5888.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  544.9 KB

Got the new exhaust done. Nothing like most of you guys have but I'm happy with it. 2.5" pipe with crossover and Flowmaster 40's. Much more mellow and much more to my liking. I'll have it coated before we start driving the car again.

Problem now is the noisy TKO. The motor was installed before I got it and we found all the bellhousing bolts loose with a couple missing while we were going over the car. Got that corrected but appears the damage was already done. Guessing input bearing and seal. Going to get it out this week and out to a local guy that speaks Tremec.

Click the link for the exhaust video. Apparently the forum doesn't like a Flickr video link.

https://flic.kr/p/2ptsgkJ

'70 Maverick. Prestige Motorsports 347, Tremec TKO600, Currie 9", 3:50 posi, RRS suspension

I think 2.5" exhaust is plenty adequate for a 347. The car sounds great.

John B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com