Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 38

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Posts
      431
      Country Flag: United States
      215F is nothing for a LS. I know in the old days people used to consider that "overheating" with the small block Chevy's. Even now, with my 383 Gen1 SBC, if the temps start getting close to 200, I'll still get a tad bit nervous even though I know that's nothing either. Old habits...

      But I think the LS engines are designed to run at those higher temperatures.



      That said, your aluminum shroud may not be the greatest for moving air through at high speed... trying to shove a lot air at ~60mph through those relatively small fan openings. If you build up pressure in the shroud, it'll cause a restriction on trying to get more air through the radiator. I've seen where people (and factory shrouds) have moveable flaps in the shroud that will open when the incoming air pushes against them, thereby allowing more area for the air to get through.

      Another possibility is that at low speed or at idle, the fans aren't powerful enough. ~1200 CFM per fan I take it? The two speed Ford Taurus fan I'm running will reportedly move ~2500 CFM on the low speed and ~4000-4500 CFM on the high speed. When the temp hits the high speed threshold, you can watch the temperature drop like a rock down to the low speed threshold.

      I may try to hit Bob's Big Boy again on the 21st if the weather is good (supposed to rain like crazy this weekend). Bring the car so we can check this beast out in person!
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jul 2023
      Location
      Burbank CA
      Posts
      25
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      215F is nothing for a LS. I know in the old days people used to consider that "overheating" with the small block Chevy's. Even now, with my 383 Gen1 SBC, if the temps start getting close to 200, I'll still get a tad bit nervous even though I know that's nothing either. Old habits...

      But I think the LS engines are designed to run at those higher temperatures.

      That said, your aluminum shroud may not be the greatest for moving air through at high speed... trying to shove a lot air at ~60mph through those relatively small fan openings. If you build up pressure in the shroud, it'll cause a restriction on trying to get more air through the radiator. I've seen where people (and factory shrouds) have moveable flaps in the shroud that will open when the incoming air pushes against them, thereby allowing more area for the air to get through.

      Another possibility is that at low speed or at idle, the fans aren't powerful enough. ~1200 CFM per fan I take it? The two speed Ford Taurus fan I'm running will reportedly move ~2500 CFM on the low speed and ~4000-4500 CFM on the high speed. When the temp hits the high speed threshold, you can watch the temperature drop like a rock down to the low speed threshold.

      I may try to hit Bob's Big Boy again on the 21st if the weather is good (supposed to rain like crazy this weekend). Bring the car so we can check this beast out in person!
      yeah its been doing better but. i haven't driven it in about a month and half, but the weather is cooling down so i don't think it will overheating should be a issue. one thing it kept doing was when it would get above 225 it would blow off the overflow tank hose off and boil the radiator fluid out the overflow . but i did fix that. i still haven't been to bobs on friday night. i don"t think i"m gonna go this Friday with the rain.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com