Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Variable or Fixed Displacement Compressor

My engine set up is BBC, running OEM accessory brackets from a 1997 Suburban. (i want factory look).

Now that I am building the A/C system I need to know what compressor this vehicle ran. Speaking to RestoMod Air, Tim was adamant about making sure my compressor was fixed displacement, and not variable displacement.

So my options are
      1) verifying that the OEM compressor from this vehicle is Fixed Displacement
      2) finding a direct fit compressor that is fixed displacement
      3) (least desirable) build an adapter bracket to mount one of their compressors which is counter productive to running OEM brackets to begin with

How do you verify such tech info?

Thank you in advance!

I'm pretty sure Vintage Air wants a fixed displacement as well. I would assume all aftermarket A/C units would.

Country Flag: United States
      A little digging around on Rock Auto will get you the compressor type which you can Google to figure out fixed or variable. I did it and found it was fixed but you should do the same digging.

Do
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: United States
      There is a way to convert it from variable displacement to fixed. I am looking into it now and apparently it is easy. The instructions I read from a post on here are a little vague so I am trying to get clarificaiton on them.. This is what they said. If anyone has done this before and can go a little deeper into this would be great. There are 2 wires coming off the connector in the back, do both of them go into the Clutch energizing wire? Does the PCM control the compressor on a vintage air install or how does that work?

Here is what you need to do to make it a fixed displacement compressor.
      On the rear of the compressor there is a wire connector. This is for your variable displacement valve. Tie this wire into the compressor clutch energize wire. (+)
      Your done. When clutch is turned on it also opens the solenoid. Works great. I have done 2 gen 5 swaps with a/c and this is how I set them up and they work perfect. Good luck

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com