Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 6 of 6

    Threaded View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Alamo, CA USA
      Posts
      235
      Country Flag: United States

      1973 Camaro: Process order for paint and body?

      Hey guys. Long time lurker, but first time poster. Looking to get some advice as to the order of events when it comes to body and paint for my project. Let me give you some background first.

      Picked up a fully assembled and running '73 Camaro in 2017. Drove it around as is for a year before I fully disassembled it last year. The body is straight. No rust anywhere except for some minor surface rust in the typical places. I recently purchased all of my suspension and brake components. Speedtech ExtReme front and rear suspension, Ford 9", ridetech coilovers, Baer brakes, DSE mini tub kit, T56 tunnel, and some other extras. All of these parts will be delivered in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on doing all of the bolt in parts, but things like fabrication, paint, and body work will be handed off to shops who can do that work properly. I have been talking to a few paint/body/fab shops. They all basically want the suspension installed and the body put back together. I was planning on the underside, firewall, interior surfaces, and everything else that isn't the exterior body to just be satin black.

      So here's my current plan.
      • Clean/prep the underside, firewall, interior surfaces, and everything else that isn't the exterior body myself.
      • Rattle can all of those surfaces chassis black.
      • Assemble and install all suspension.
      • Assemble the exterior body back together.
      • Send off for fab/body/paint which will include welding a small portion of the rear torque arm, installation of the mini tubs, body work, and paint.




      I'm considering just sending the car as is to a paint shop to prep and paint the underside, firewall, interior surfaces, etc... the chassis black before doing the suspension and body assembly myself. Then sending it back to the shop for the fab/body/paint work of the exterior, but I would like to hear your feedback. What is the best course of action in my case? Is there a better or more correct way to get all of this done? Am I missing something?

      I've attached images of the car when assembled and running and in its current unassembled state as well as details of body panels. Any and all feedback is very much welcomed.

      Name:  assembled.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  150.4 KB Name:  disassembled1.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  151.5 KB Name:  disassembled2.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  181.8 KB Name:  body_01.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  265.9 KB Name:  body_02.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  271.2 KB Name:  body_03.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  245.5 KB Name:  body_04.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  206.0 KB Name:  body_05.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  244.8 KB Name:  body_06.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  229.8 KB Name:  body_07.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  285.4 KB Name:  body_08.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  232.1 KB Name:  body_09.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  242.6 KB Name:  body_10.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  243.5 KB Name:  body_11.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  228.6 KB Name:  body_12.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  189.1 KB Name:  body_13.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  164.7 KB Name:  body_14.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  196.6 KB Name:  body_15.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  192.8 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com