Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 31
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Posts
      21

      200-r4 Vs. 700-R4 Which One?

      Which trans would be better for my application. I have a 68 camaro convertible with a 350\325Hp and A TH-350. I just sold the 350 tranny and want to install an overdrive. Strength and gas mileage are my main concerns. I'm not going to do any drag racing but I do like to show off...I'm sure you know what I mean... I have found deals on 200-r4 for 1K with converter and are dyno tested and rated at 450 hp. Same thing on the 700-R4 but they run $1200. I just don't know which is better. Oh and would I need any conversion kit via i have no computer in the car (obviously 1968) Any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Fullerton, CA.
      Posts
      187
      Country Flag: United States
      The 200-4r is the same length as the th-350, so you won't have to shorten the driveshaft and that's one less expense,You will have to move the crossmember back though. Also the gear spread is better,the 200 is lighter and smaller than the 700-R4 and its suppose to be more efficent than the 700. 200-4R's in a OE configuration
      (exc. Grand-Nats) are not all that great, but when there built they can easily outperform the 700-R4. The 700-R4's are not a bad trans, but for the DIY'er the 200-4R is a lot easier.IMO the 200-4R will probably fit better
      in your Camaro Convertible than the 700 considering the extra bracing and the smaller tunnel than that of an A-body.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Apr 2002
      Posts
      777
      Country Flag: United States
      Gor for the 200 as well. Easier swap, plus you can build them up if you need. Just make sure you get the TV cable right. There are kit and brackets available. I found a Grand National (has the good stuff inside) on Ebay locally for $50. Worth the price to go through it.

      --JMarsa

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Metamora, Illinois
      Posts
      1,619
      Definitely 2004R, as previously posted much easier swap.

      Good information on strengthening a 2004R
      http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31365

      http://www.turbobuicks.com



    5. #5
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Posts
      21
      Thanks guys. So it looks as though the 200r4 will save me a few bucks and be an easier install. Can I use the TV Cable from the TH-350? or do I need a different one. I also like that the 200 is smaller. The floor was just replaced in my car and I swear that the new tunnel is smaller. I guess it just hasn't be massaged by a few broken driveshafts...Well I am 95% going with the 200-r4 unless convinced otherwis. Thanks for the input guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      Fontana, CA
      Posts
      4,960
      Country Flag: United States
      Go for the 200. Take it from someone who has broken many a "built" 700. I think the only thing built means in a 700 is that it hurts more (in the pocketbook) when you toss it away. I have lunched 6 in the last 5 years. One only lasted 600 miles and the place who built it adjusted it.

      No the 350 TV will not work.

      And make sure you adjust the TV!!!!!!!
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      295
      Country Flag: Canada
      FWIW, Had a built 200 in a 69 GTO. 4000 lbs. and had that tranny in the car until we broke into the 11's. Ran a season in the high 11's with it, the only reason we took it out was precautionary and it still works fine in my buddy's convertible.
      If it held up to that abuse it should be good for you. I have one in my street driven 65 GTO.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2002
      Location
      Lost Wages, Nevada
      Posts
      2,684
      Country Flag: United States
      200 gets my vote.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Louisiana
      Posts
      75
      I bought mine from Bowtie Overdrives. They have a good TV cable setup also.

      Chris

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      San Antonio,Tx
      Posts
      26
      Country Flag: United States
      advantages; the 2004r doesn't have the forced 4th to 3rd down shift at full throttle the 700r4 has. This happens at about 3/4 throttle and no the the valves variouse co. sell do not eliminate this, just delay it.
      Most have a universal bell bolt pattern i.e. BOP & Chevy. overall length is the same as the th350 but the trans mounting location is close to th400. The gear spead between shift is less. This means you don't fall a cliff going from 1st to 2nd. It is samller, lighter and has less rotating inertia, all of which is good for acceleration and milage.
      Can you guess whats going in my project.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Metamora, Illinois
      Posts
      1,619
      Let me guess 2004R. Are you going to build the trans yourself? If so, contact Chris at http://www.ckperformance.com and purchase a copy of his book on Rebuilding and Modifying 2004Rs. If not, you may want to contact "Brian" on www.turbobuick.com He has a very good reputation for building 2004Rs at very reasonable prices? Here is a link to a couple 2004Rs he has for sale now.

      http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sho...ighlight=2004r

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      49
      Country Flag: United States
      Hell...I was going to try a 700R4 outta an old 92 camaro I have, but it sounds like I'd be better off with the 200. I'm a newb to this stuff. I hate to ask this, I'm sure it sounds dumb...what is the TV cable?

    13. #13
      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      Fontana, CA
      Posts
      4,960
      Country Flag: United States
      Throttle Valve.
      It controls fluid pressure in the tranny according to throttle position.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Patterson, NY
      Posts
      784
      jumpmaster, there is a lot of debate over using the 200-4R or the 700-R4. It's kind of like the motor oil arguments. I think in most cases the 200 is a better choice, but if you've got a 700 available then I don't think you'd go wrong using it.

      As for the TV question: The TH-350 has a downshift cable, where the TH200-4R and TH700-R4 use TV cables. 6'9" has it right-the TV cable controls fluid pressure. If it is adjusted wrong you will burn out the tranny.

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      49
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks. I was feeling pretty dumb. I was curious why a television cable would hook up to a transmission?? Just kidding. Thanks guys
      1969 SS/RS Project.

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      Birmingham, AL
      Posts
      49
      Country Flag: United States
      Side note...how much is a 200R4 worth?

      I saw one on ebay for $100 out of an '87 monte carlo. Shoipping was about $100 too. So, my question is if my junkyards dont have a 200r4 would a used one be worth $150 to $300?
      1969 SS/RS Project.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Metamora, Illinois
      Posts
      1,619
      Depends on the transmission model and condition. Assuming it needs to be rebuild a CZ coded 2004R, found in 86-87 Monte Carlos SS's is worth about $250, while the BF coded trans out of the Buick Grand Nationals go between $350-$500. Baically what makes these cores (CQ, CZ, BF and a few others) desirable is the valve bodies (VB) and govenors, which determine you shift points at WOT when in drive. Not saying the other VBs can't be modified, but it does take some expertise.

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Oakland CA
      Posts
      256
      I have the stock 200r built up by PTS in turbo trans am that puts a out ALOT of torque. Pts has a lot of good info on there site http://www.ptsnctb.com/
      :3gears: 68 Rally Sport Camaro 350/4spd(t56ingarage)/8.5 10bolt 2.56 open,Hotchkis springs, kyb shocks, 17" Rallys 235/245-45-17

      1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am 3.8 Buick LC2 V-6 w/51k, Ported heads w/oversized one piece valves, te-44 turbo,PTS built 200R4 w/2800stall, Lucas green top 009 42.5# injectors, AFPR, Adjustable wastegate, ATR 3inch exhaust, Terry houston 3inch mandrel bent downpipe, stock intercooler w/duttwieler neck, Eibach Springs, Bilstien shocks, Spohn adjustable panhard bar...

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Posts
      830
      just for eductional purposes... are there any upsides to the 700r4?
      Rob M.

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Poulan GA
      Posts
      143

      How about some prices.

      The best one that I've seen is the Stage 3 from Bow tie overdrives. It costs about $1300 but they've got it rated at 450+ hp. If I can't find a better deal then thats the one for me. One other question. On ls1tech.com the guys are putting 3200 to 4000 rpm stalls in their 4th gen camaro's with 4l60e trans and pulling some 1.4 to 1.7 60 ft times and running them as daily drivers. I know these are lockup converters and the 200r4 is supposedly the same. Can I put a 3500 lockup converter in my 68 camaro and still daily drive it and get decent mileage? Also who makes a good one. It'll be going behind a 383 sb.

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com