Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ford brake options?

Wondering if I can get some help in picking out a brake solution for my 62 ford falcon. Car is being built for the occasional fast friday, but more of a friday night pro touring cruiser. Has TCI Mustang ll front suspension with viking crusader double adjustable coilovers and TCI 4 link with the same coilovers on a ford 9". No power brakes or steering, I do plan to put electric power steering assist (EPAS) on it. It has an aggressive cam (aka minimal vacuum).

Thoughts were:
      Wilwood Dynapro 4 or 6 piston fronts
      Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston rears
      Wilwood Dual MC with value... diameter TBD.

My worry is that its still a manual brake vehicle... what options do I have? Powered brakes would be a possibility, but I worry I don't have enough vacuum to support it. No power steering, so a hydroboost type solution wouldn't work. I don't think a "super pedal" solution will fit my firewall. Just feeling lost on what options I have.

Any help is appreciated!

Ok this js a loaded question and there is literally no simple answer on how to properly design a good performing manual brake system with reasonable effort, feel and clamping force.

The only thing I can say is none of those caliper options have adequate piston area to function very well as a manual system unless you can run 14” rotors Which I doubt.
      You need PA of 5 or close to it.
      And a very small front master bore too. And you typically need less front bore than rear so dual master isn’t a very good setup.

Either run hydroboost (not a fan) or get some help to design a proper manual system.
      Caliper and rotor selection along with master bore size and pad CF are all very critical. And it’s not a one size fits all deal.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      On the European Ford Capri in my avatar, front suspension is based on an MII spindle. I'm grabbing the aluminum PBR's off a 99 Mustang V6, running (at Torbin K. of Kore 3suggestion) an 81 Firebird rear disk redrilled to Ford on the front to clear Kore3 MII hubs, and a 10.5 rear disc from the Mustang. I'm planning on using as much of the Mustang brkes as I can.

While I have nothing against Wilwood, want to run production car parts as much as possible for reliability and parts availability. I actually bought some D8-4 Wilwoods for the car before I throttled back to the easy button and used production parts
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

On my 67 Cougar I use the Baer SS4+ system and it works great. Manual brakes, Baer Remaster 15/16" bore MC (low cost option is 74 Maverick 15/16 disk/drum MC). The added bonus is that the system comes with aluminum hubs, and everything is light weight, which helps with unsprung weight. The rotors also have aluminum hats. Also, check out my Cougar build for details about EPAS installation.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...videos)/page61

Starting around post #1203

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

You may want to take a look at the Electric Hydro-Boost system from ABS Brake. We have used these on several cars and the brakes are amazing. Not a great choice for a short course car (too much brake, tricky to modulate the input) but awesome for a touring or cruiser.

So I have been contemplating converting to power brakes using a vacuum assist pump. This would eliminate most of the hassle. I will still need to figure out bore size for the mc. Any preferred boosters or size I should use?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com